Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Visionaries of Tomorrow » Does Barry stop by here? (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Does Barry stop by here?
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
The reason i ask...isn't related to Legion at all, other than He and Waid did it.

I am refering to Empire.

I finally got all the issues. See, i used to get mini's on an issue by issue basis, but then i started missing out on too many issues of the mini's i liked...so i stopped.

I had my store start holding the mini's until the entire series was collected for me. This normally works out great, but Empire was notoriously short on issue #0, and they had a heckuva time finding it for me. They finally did, and....

WOW!

I loved it. For once the bad guy truly, truly wins.

SPOILERS*
Gol kacked his own daughter because A) she was nuts and B) he didn't want the burden of his life placed on her, had she been normal.

Now, i can't say that i didn't see it coming after the first few appearances by her, but...the read up until them was great.

Barry's art was top notch (gotta love the hair, Barry, lol. I remember our chats on the Titans) and if i had any real criticism, it was only this about the art...the women tended to look the same in the face. Given that women's faces are very tough to differentiate in comics, that ain't much.

So, Bravah to you, and i hope at some point in the future to see a return of Empire.

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
I only have a few issues of Empire, but I haven't read them yet.

As far as the title of this thread goes...

-  -  -  -  -  -  -  -

...maybe he will now.

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
Well, it took me a while, like i said, to get issue #0, but it was well worth it.

And to be honest, their legion stuff will have to go a ways to top it. It was the perfect "what if the bad guy really won".

You could almost imagine it being kinda what the inbetween years of the two Star Wars trilogys would be like. A gathering of power and control, a truly bad despot, but very good at what he does.

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
Barry has stopped by several times. You can look up his posts by searching his name in the directory - "Barry Kitson" is his displayed name.
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
I got the trade...loved it.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Was there anything special in the trade? Extra artwork or unpublished pages? I got the regular series, including #0, and enjoyed it.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Faraway Lad
Senator of the UP. Permanent Ambassador to the Court of Saint James

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Faraway Lad   Email Faraway Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Barry does drop in from time to time and did say if there was anyhting I felt REALLY needed his answer to e mail him and let him know.

--------------------
Faithfull

From: Newcastle upon Tyne England | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yk
between boots

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yk   Email Yk         Edit/Delete Post     

Dove_Em
-Love it-
Great name!

Empire blew me away when I read the first issues but I only recently bought the tpb so I didn't get the whole story until then.
Wazoo

One thing I wonder is if they're working on the Legion like they did on Empire. After reading the pages that MArk wrote about their joint creative process I began to get curious about what Kitson is going to redesign in the new book.
Lots of new costumes loosely based on their old ones? Probably we'll see the male Legionnaires "beef up", I think Barry commonly draws thicker people than Oliver so we'll see the end of the "Archie Legion" influence in that respect.

My budget for books is pretty limited so I don't kow much about his work. What else is up for a Kitson redesign?

From: Smallville Sector : Greater Metropolis | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barry Kitson
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barry Kitson   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Hi Guys
Finally I found this corner of Legionworld and this thread! [Smile]

I'll try to check in here as often as I can from now on rather than 'muscle in' on the general discussion boards!

It's great to read that so many of you liked Empire!

I'm working on that hair-thing rickshaw! [Smile]

Hi Deathstroke Lad there is a section at the back of the trade that shows my working process so there's scans of thumbnails pencilled pages and the like. Unfortunately they didn't match the text to the examples they chose as well as I would have liked, but if you're interested in seeing how comic pages come together and how Mark and I work you might think it worth a quick look.
I'm a sucker for all that sort of stuff and end up buying trades purely for the extras most times...works out expensive for about a half dozen extra pages but I can't resist the chance to see other people's pencils! [Smile]

--------------------
Cheers
Barry

www.barrykitson.com

From: UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yk
between boots

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yk   Email Yk         Edit/Delete Post     
We're horrible, what can I say man, we study everything in the book. Especially source material whenever we can dig it up and what could be a better source than the current artist?

I'm with you, I love the extra pages where we get to see the process of creation in action...and sometimes get brand new stuff.
So make sure we get lots of nifty stuff for those pages of the TPB next year.. ;D

[ September 17, 2004, 10:39 PM: Message edited by: YellowStar ]

From: Smallville Sector : Greater Metropolis | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks for IDing the characters on LSH #1's cover, Barry. I'm looking forward to the new book (while simultaneously missing things from the 'old' run, already)-- I just wish it was starting in OCT!

Now... can you tell is if the characters appearing on the cover also answer to these names? (They're listed in the order you provided several pages of this thread back):

Imra Ardeen, Dirk Morgna, Nura Nal, Thom Kallor, Tasmia Mallor, Rokk Krinn, Jan Arrah, Tinya Wazzo, Projectra Regina, Querl Dox, Jo Nah, Reep Daggle and Val Armorr.

Thanks for the info and your generous participation here... I hope you stick around for the entire run!

Todd

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bicycle Repair Man
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bicycle Repair Man   Email Bicycle Repair Man         Edit/Delete Post     
Barry! I hope that you don't feel that you need to confine yourself to this forum from now on! And, if you are willing and able to respond to specific questions, I for one prefer to read the response(s) in the thread(s) where the question(s) were posted (but then, I'm extremely lazy ... [Wink] ).
By all means, join in the hurly-burly! [Yes]

--------------------
"Gee, Brainy, what do you want to do tonight?"
"The same thing we do every night, Bouncing Boy: try to take over the United Planets!!"
They're B.B. and The Brain ...

From: Monty Python's Flying Circus | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Bicycle Repair Man:
Barry! I hope that you don't feel that you need to confine yourself to this forum from now on!

Absolutely! Don't be afraid to participate in threads simply as a fan if you want. All Legion fans are welcome and their opinions are valued.
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barry Kitson
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barry Kitson   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks guys!

I'll certainly be joining in outside threads once the new LSH is in the shops! [Smile]

I'm pretty sure virtually all the characters' names are as you ask Donna - though I'm still getting used to all the changes myself - so I may be wrong on one or two!

Glad to hear you like seeing the process stuff too Yellowstar - either here, or with a link from here to my site, I'll be posting the pencils and inked versions of the cover to #1 very soon.

I think I remember someone asking if the new LSH team are working on the one shot with the Titans - yes we are, the last section of the book is totally by us and only features the new LSH characters!

--------------------
Cheers
Barry

www.barrykitson.com

From: UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Can't wait to see some of those preliminary images Barry. And thanks for the info on the trade for Empire. Those extras are indeed enough to make me hunt down a copy. I geek on those things.

Hopefully we'll still get to see you in Dallas come November. A bunch of us are planning a big trip down to the con and you can be assured you'll know who we are. [Big Grin]

(BTW, since you may be confused with the name changes we are doing, playing up on the crossover with the Titans, I'm normally known as Lightning Lad (or Scott) around these parts. [Big Grin] )

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.