Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Visionaries of Tomorrow » Question for Barry: Writing or Drawing?

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Question for Barry: Writing or Drawing?
235 - Andy S
Check out the VOTE-A-MATIC now!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 235 - Andy S   Author's Homepage   Email 235 - Andy S         Edit/Delete Post     
I just picked up a special pack of a Legion mini that came out awhile back at the shop this week, and it was plotted by none other than BARRY KITSON.

I'm a fan of your art, Barry; and I'm completely blown away ALREADY by the Legion preview & designs we've seen.

What process do you prefer: writing or drawing the characters?
Which process do you feel more ownership over?
What's been the most satisfying (as it relates to any project, but Legion in particular due to location)?

don't mean to bug -- i was just curious

From: Lauderhill, FL | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barry Kitson
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barry Kitson   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Hi Andy -
Before I answer, please just let me say that I'm more than happy answering as many questions as folks want to ask! [Smile]

The great thing about working with Mark has always been that I have a real say in the story lines without having to do the hard bit (typing in my case). I really feel I get the best of both worlds as I get to come up with story ideas and discuss Mark's ideas AND draw the book (which is the best fun). I do enjoy writing and have really enjoyed seeing how other people interpretted my scripts in the past - my favorite probably being the L.E.G.I.O.N. annual Mike McKone and I did together.
However it's the collaborative part of comics creation that I really enjoy so I don't often like to write and draw a book.

With LSH I feel I do have a real 'ownership' of the characters with Mark, but where he has control over their words I have control of their look and body language - it's a real partbership that I think works very well for both of us. It certainly adds an element of fun to the process!
As you can probably tell from the notes on the character sketches I've posted we swap ideas without reservation.

Hope that's an answer that makes some sense! [Smile]

--------------------
Cheers
Barry

www.barrykitson.com

From: UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
235 - Andy S
Check out the VOTE-A-MATIC now!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 235 - Andy S   Author's Homepage   Email 235 - Andy S         Edit/Delete Post     
yeah it does
i do a lot of collaborative work with artists in different mediums (film, theater, starting to branch into comics this year) and i love the possibilities of collaboration
and i'm always curious about how others deal with/structure their relationships to the work and each other in the process

if that makes sense

THANKS BARRY

From: Lauderhill, FL | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.