Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Visionaries of Tomorrow » Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez and Greg LaRoque

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez and Greg LaRoque
Luca
Sensor Kid of the European Legion Outpost

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luca           Edit/Delete Post     
I saw some comics of these 2 artists, in particular some number of the Tale of Lsh...the Sensorgirl Trial arc and I think that LaRoque is a great artist, with a clear design, a classic and modern talent at the same time.

are they dissapeared? (without work I intend)

--------------------
Ciao by Sensor Kid...from the European Legion Outpost

From: European Legion Outpost | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Star Boy
Cat Clan Commander

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Star Boy   Email Star Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
It seems at least Jose Luis is still working, thankfully. I really like his artwork - it's funny that I see his work as similar to that of Dan Jurgens, but I've grown to dislike Jurgens but still appreciate Garcia-Lopez. Odd that.

Anyway - Garcia-Lopez has extended his DC contract, so hopefully there'll be more from him soon.

See here: Newsarama sez: JOSE LUIS GARCIA LOPEZ EXTENDS EXCLUSIVE DC CONTRACT

--------------------
Wayne@OZ

From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Awesome idea for a thread! Why? Because I (and LardLad too) LOVE Jose Luis Garcia Lopez's artwork!

He has a style all of his own.

Aw, I wish Lardy was around so we can keep our Jose Luis Garcia Lopez fan club strong!

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Basilios
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Basilios   Email Basilios         Edit/Delete Post     
Jose Luis Garcia Lopez is the King. He is one of my favourite artists! Correct me if I'm wrong, but am I right to think that he only worked on Legion Interiors twice, once in a Christmas Special and second in a Issue#55 of V3?? I'm hoping I'm wrong.
Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm a fan Garcia-Lopez, Dan Jurgens, and Laroque.

Jurgens drew that awesome Dev-Em clone story. Hey I was 9 or something...it was awesome for me! [Wink]

More recently Jurgens story with Gail blew me away. I just really dug it for some reason. Looked different than anything he's done before (slightly). I like the style he used.

Art Shoemaker? Him inked by Kesel or Mahlstedt also rocked! I enjoyed his X-Factor stuff a bit later as well.

Laroque may have been my fave after Giffen. He drew it for so long that I just became a big fan. I was a big fan at the time of the stories, etc.

Jorge

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Basilios
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Basilios   Email Basilios         Edit/Delete Post     
Terry Shoemaker??? Is that who your talking about? His Great, probably one of favorite Legion artists, His action sequences were great, and drew the cutest girls.

I also love James Sherman, but sadly haven't seen much of his work.

Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
Greg LaRocque had two virtues that I've not seen very often in any other comics artists, let alone other Legion-stories artists.

~ He could show musculature for females that was realistic, not a steroidal bodybuilder look -- yet communicated power that was appropriate to fierce, passionate, superheroine women. His Dream Girl was particularly striking.

~ In "long-shot" depictions of Legionnaires, with their being in the medium distance (50 to 100 feet, say), you could always distinguish their facial expressions. That's making the most of economy of line. Some tried to do so but didn't keep following through, Keith Giffen among them.

I haven't seen LaRocque's more current work for some time. I hope he hasn't gone into another field, as Jim Sherman did into advertising (from whence he came to comics initially).

From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.