Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Visionaries of Tomorrow » question for inkers

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: question for inkers
kidflash2fan
could be rabid

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kidflash2fan   Author's Homepage   Email kidflash2fan         Edit/Delete Post     
what do you find is the best ink to use??

ive tryed a few diffrent ones but i keep geting the same problems and i was wondering what you wonderful people in the might use.

--------------------
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

i do commissions

From: ny | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fjm
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fjm   Author's Homepage   Email fjm         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm not an inker..but from my experience I've found any sort of India Ink to work best.

--------------------
www.francismanapul.com
http://manapul.blogspot.com/

From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
Speaking of inkers why hasn't Karl Kesel inked any Legion as of late? C'mon DC! Get Kesel!
From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Singularity
Wanderer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Singularity   Author's Homepage   Email Singularity         Edit/Delete Post     
The ink is less important than the brush, or pen, depending on what you use. I've learned that it doesn't pay, in the long run, to go cheap on brushes and pens. You don't have to get the $30 brush, but the $3 brush is not going to give you what you want. As far as the ink goes, you have to try them out to see what you like. I would avoid the Windsor & Newton India Ink, it's very, very black, but it gums up brushes like crazy.
A handy gadget would be a model paint shaker, to keep your ink mixed well. It's also good to use a smaller container to dip from, and keep the main ink bottle sealed as much as possible. Air is your enemy.
Best books on inking are the two from Dark Horse "The Art of Comic Book Inking" 1 & 2, by Gary Martin. If you're a penciller, they will help you make your work more "inker friendly".
Joe

--------------------
HeroBlog-Be a Hero
Ad Astra-the comic strip- The stars are ours.

From: Texas | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chip Wallace
Stone Boy's pet rock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chip Wallace   Author's Homepage   Email Chip Wallace         Edit/Delete Post     
Singularity is dead right. Do not cheap out on brushes. I used to know a lot of guys that would buy those $2-3 brushes, they though it was great they were so cheap. But those brushes were synthetic and had a VERY short life span. I honestly do not think a cheap brush will last more than a few pages before it starts to develop a twist or curl that cannot be straightened.

However, a good $15-20 brush, say a Raphael 8404 sable hair, when taken care of, will last a LONG time. I have brushes here that are YEARS old. They do not easily lose their point or develop any "deformities". They tend to just lose their snap over time, but they still remain useful for filling in blacks etc... Your dollar really does go a LONG way if you maintain them well.

As for ink, yes, it's mostly what you become comfortable with, however I will state that it's best to steer clear of inks that contain laquers or varnish, as they will really take a toll on your brushes and severely decrease there life span.

I currently use FW Brand ink and have recently become fond of Sennelier as well.

If your having trouble with ink, always remember that the paper you use counts for a lot too. Not everything out there is inker friendly. Even a lot of the comic art boards sold by Blue Line Pro take ink badly.

--------------------
Charles "Chip" Wallace
www.charleswallaceart.com

From: New York | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Singularity
Wanderer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Singularity   Author's Homepage   Email Singularity         Edit/Delete Post     
Chip,
just checked out your web site. Nice work, man. But....no Legion babes?

Joe

--------------------
HeroBlog-Be a Hero
Ad Astra-the comic strip- The stars are ours.

From: Texas | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.