Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Visionaries of Tomorrow » Edmond Hamilton and the Legion... (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Edmond Hamilton and the Legion...
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
"The Atomic Conquerors" is apparently one of the earliest stories about the inhabitants of microscopic universe invading our world!

You know, the more I think about it, the more I'm shocked that something like that wasn't used for Shrinking Violet's origin.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
googoomuck
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for googoomuck   Author's Homepage   Email googoomuck         Edit/Delete Post     
A lot of Edmond Hamilton's books were reprinted in paperback in the 50s & 60s. City at World's End was one of the first SF books I ever read.

--------------------
Play Stratego online at http://www.metaforge.net/webstratego/

From: Minneapolis Minnesota | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Cool things from Evolution Island: Plant Men, futuristic humanoids that are giant heads with tentacles, and lots of stuff (including a chicken) turned to protoplasmic slime!
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

"The Moon Menace" features a scientist perfecting the amazing new technology of television, only to discover messages being broadcast from people from the Hollow Inside of the Moon, who, after teaching him how to build a matter transmitter so they can come to Earth, quickly proceed to plunge the entire planet into darkness (since they can't survive in direct sunlight) and to conquer it for themselves!

While the basic idea of beings who live in near complete darkness broadcasting tv signals seems implausible at best, the coolest bit of this story was the description of the effects of the plunge into total darkness upon human civilization (which apparently collapses pretty quickly once we can't see).

Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
You've inspired me. Since I have no money right now, I just grabbed the free books for my Kindle. I'll report back after reading.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Yay! I hadn't even thought about looking for free Hamilton stuff for the Kindle. Hope you enjoy!
Eryk Davis Ester

Currently reading "The Time Raider", mentioned by Glen back on page one of the thread. Only four chapters in, and my impression thus far is that the Time Trapper can only wish that he'd ever had a story this cool.
Eryk Davis Ester

So, the Time Raider is more of a Lovecraftian monster than anything recognizably a precursor to the Time Trapper (though it now occurs to me a Lovecraftian take on the purple-robed one might be interesting...), but the story is pretty much awesome! It's one of those things you read and thing, "Man, how has this never been made into a movie"! It's got science fiction, fantasy, swash-buckling with characters from a bunch of different time periods thrown in, it's just incredibly cool!
Eryk Davis Ester

"The Comet Doom" features a race that's evolved into brains in robot bodies trying to steal our planet for it's resources after depleting their own. Their plot involves changing the orbit of Earth, Brain Globes of Rambat style, until it revolves around their comet homeworld!

Also features two scientists on a Brokeback Mountain-style "camping trip"!

[ January 07, 2012, 05:55 PM: Message edited by: Eryk Davis Ester ]

Eryk Davis Ester

"And in the same way, granted the existence of a fifth dimension, two worlds might occupy the same space, four-dimensionally, but lie at different places along the fifth dimension; lie next to each other along that dimension-- two worlds, both occupying the same space at the same time, but each separated from the other by the unknown fifth dimension, if that dimension exists."

Jeepers! I find this "The Dimension Terror" story really confusing! I wish there were some sort of Crisis or something that would straighten it all out!

Anyway, apparently the fifth dimension is inhabited by beetle-men, who want to invade our planet because they're overcrowded in their own dimension. And they've mastered transmutation enough so that they can destroy our civilization by turning all the iron to hydrogen!

Eryk Davis Ester

In "The Polar Doom" scientists exploring ruins near the North Pole inadvertently revive prehistoric Frog-men from suspended animation! The Frogmen then proceed to wipe out humanity with their matter-compressor rays!
Eryk Davis Ester

^^Forgot to mention the coolest scientist name yet: Angus McQuirk!
Eryk Davis Ester

An ancient civilization of slug-people at the bottom of the ocean threaten to flood the surface world in "The Sea-Horror"! Fortunately the plot is uncovered by a scientific expedition that just happens to stumble on the civilization right before they unleash their plans!
Eryk Davis Ester

Okay, so the premise of "Locked Worlds" is that for each atom in our universe, there is another atom whose electrons circle the nucleus in the opposite direction, thus "locking" the two atoms together by their common nucleus. Then there's a whole reality formed by these atoms, invisible to us, but connected to our world. By reversing the flow of the electrons that make us up, we can change places with the equivalent lump of matter in the other world. And meet the evil spider-people who live there and the heroic bird-people.

Even though I'm pretty sure the pseudo-science doesn't hold up if you think about it too much, it's kind of a fun story.

Eryk Davis Ester

And the last story pf the collection is "The Abysmal Invaders". This time, we have prehistoric lizard men who ride dinosaurs and are armed with heat rays who try to destroy humanity when their own underground home is threatened by lava. Fortunately, there's a heroic scientist on the scene at the Illinois swamp where the entrance to their underground kingdom is located!

Summary review to follow tomorrow!

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.