Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Visionaries of Tomorrow » Legion creator dream matchups (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Legion creator dream matchups
Superboy
RE-RETCONNED

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superboy   Email Superboy         Edit/Delete Post     
I've noticed that a lot of my ideas for threads have already been covered by you guys long ago, so it won't surprise me if someone has already made a thread about this...but I couldn't find it.

Which Legion creators that have never worked together would you guys like to see teamed up?

I was thinking about it listening to the Legion 50th panel...

Jim Shooter
Giffen
Mike Grell
Cary Bates is doing a DC project.

All these guys are a DC right now...the classic Legion creators, the living ones anyway. As a fan of the classic Legion in particular I can't help but thinking..what a once in a lifetime opportunity this little window in time is, to see some of them team up, even if just for an annual or something.

The one matchup that immediately jumps into my head as the all time dream Legion matchup for me that is possible, is Jim Shooter and Keith Giffen. And you know...Shooter never has told the story of Mordru's first meeting with the Legion...and Keith is probably that guy that has done the most with Mordru.

And Giffen isn't one of the guys that hates Shooter either as far as I know(other than his psychotic hatred of poor Val)...so it could happen.

Any other Legion Dream Matchups you guys can think of or would like to see?

Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matthew E
Suprmetrician

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matthew E   Author's Homepage   Email Matthew E         Edit/Delete Post     
I think it would have been kind of neat for one of Siegel's Silver Age stories to have been drawn by Jeff Moy. Conversely, John Forte's art might have been good for an early reboot story. Dennis Calero would fit right into the 5YL era. And nothing against Coipel or Batista, but it would have been cool seeing Barry Kitson draw a DnA story.

--------------------
Legion Abstract

From: Ontario | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
My favorite stories come from the Levitz / Giffen or Levitz / Lightle eras, but I'm stumped trying to think of creative teams I'd like to see together.

But Giffen, as an artist, confuses me. He supposedly drew the Great Darkness Saga, which was good art (not Lightle good, but clean comic book fare). Then he drew this picture, which is seven different flavors of awful.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matthew E
Suprmetrician

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matthew E   Author's Homepage   Email Matthew E         Edit/Delete Post     
It's not confusing. He changed his style, that's all. When did it happen--around the Omen-and-the-Prophet storyline? Anyway. Giffen must like the newer style better, but most comic book fans who have registered their opinions preferred the older style. Including me, although I don't hate the newer style, or, in fact, that picture you linked to.

--------------------
Legion Abstract

From: Ontario | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Set, no! Giff's big-lips era is one of my favorite Giffen art-eras! I *love* the picture you linked to! The only Giff-era I really don't like is his "Trencher" style. Ick. Too sketchy for me!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo
Adult Legion Reservist

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Set:
My favorite stories come from the Levitz / Giffen or Levitz / Lightle eras, but I'm stumped trying to think of creative teams I'd like to see together.

But Giffen, as an artist, confuses me. He supposedly drew the Great Darkness Saga, which was good art (not Lightle good, but clean comic book fare). Then he drew this picture, which is seven different flavors of awful.

Probably my favorite piece of art for the Legion ever... It's a matter of taste, but being a fan of European comics and artsy stuff, this is one of those pieces that simply scream distinctive, personal and downright unique.
At this point in his career, Keith could simply draw anything. If he wanted to draw perfectly neat Kevin Maguire style, he is bloody able to (see JLI 14). That's what makes him a great artist.

As for a dream-team, I'd love to see Lightle with Shooter at this point.

From: Brasil | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Lightle with almost anyone but just to mix it up,..

I'd like another Keith Champagne issue. I think either Coipel or Manipul would add a nice Sci-Fi touch to his stories.

Did Levitz and Doran ever work together? I think that'd be a good match.

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
I'd love to see Levitz and Lightle do an Annual in the vein of LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES ANNUAL Vol. 1 #1, which takes place during their time on the book. Maybe an untold story that each wanted to tell.

That would make me extremely happy. It could also be a prequel of sorts to the Lightning Saga (although throw in the original Supergirl as Sensor Girl just for fun!).

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superboy
RE-RETCONNED

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superboy   Email Superboy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Blockade Boy:

Did Levitz and Doran ever work together? I think that'd be a good match. [/QB]

Yeah, she was on an issue of the Baxter run. Levitz has pretty much worked with everyone from the classic era in some way or another, Cockrum, Grell, Lightle, Swan, Mooney, Staton, Sherman, Broderick, Shaffenberger, Colon...Doran, even Dan Jurgens and Terry Shoemaker. There's not many dream matchups you could make with him involving any living classic Legion creators. I think he literally worked with every Legion artist to work on the book in it's first 30 years, except for Plastino and Forte.

You want to pair him up with someone for the first time it would definitely have to be with one of the guys from the reboot or 3boot versions of the Legion like Copiel or Kitson..

Superboy
RE-RETCONNED

I think it'd be interesting to see the entire Hamilton and Siegel runs repencilled by Copiel [Big Grin]
Lone Wolf Legionnaire
Academy Cadet

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lone Wolf Legionnaire   Email Lone Wolf Legionnaire         Edit/Delete Post     
Hey I can't believe it, but I agree with Ricardo for once, Jim Shooter and Steve Lightle, Steve is like a hybrid of Swan and Cockrum.

But if Dave Cockrum were still alive my vote would have been for him and Shooter, the two guys who created the things I most love about the Legion.

Other than that maybe Cary Bates and Kieth Giffen.

As for Paul Levitz I'd team him up with Alan Davis and Mark Farmer, or Geoff Johns: co-writer and Chris Batista artist.

--------------------
I tried to rip their soul out.I tried to make them forget Superman.
But they won't.

From: Kentucky | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
Conway & Byrne.

Not that I'd actually buy it. Just to watch the internet explode. [Evil]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superboy
RE-RETCONNED

quote:
Originally posted by Lone Wolf Legionnaire:

Other than that maybe Cary Bates and Kieth Giffen.

Those two never teamed up on the Legion that I can recall...

But they have teamed up together before...and it was creator owned and under a Marvel imprint no less...

I give you, Video Jack:

-

http://www.komikwerks.com/comic_title.php?ti=56

...in the late 80's when Giffen was on JLI and Bates was doing Captain Atom.

Would have been an awesome series except...

I absolutely hated that phase of Giffen's art...he was still mainly in his Munoz/Omen phase and just..yuck. I remember when he took over the pencilling chores on Hex as well...it was just crap that was basically indecipherable. You can comprehend what Munoz is drawing, and most of the guys that he inspired...you cannot comprehend what Giffen is drawing half the time in that style...unless he's plaigerizing Munoz.

I swear...he'd do pages that consisted of nothing more than a zig zag across a panel with a dot on it.

But anyway...if you want Bates and Giffen unleashed...there they are.

I actually bought the complete run of that series when it came out...because of the Legion connection and that it was a dream matchup.

Still got it floating around in the garage somewhere.

But seriously...Giffen's art was unmanageable in that era and pretty much ruined my enjoyment of any project he was working on as a penciller...including this one, and conceptually this was an awesome series. The scripting and plotting are great...this isn't the worst of the Munoz phase...he was starting to come out of it, but don't let that decipherable cover fool you...you open the book and it is instantly indecipherable.

Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
With all the buzz going around about how Perez regrets never having a run on the Legion, you have to wonder what a nice long Levitz/Perez run would have looked like. Can you imagine how well it would have sold?

I'm curious if Staton's art would have been a match for some of the simpler Bates stories.

What if Kitson had stayed on when Shooter came on board? That would have been a pretty good match.

Giffen writing with Calero doing the art would be pretty amazing.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
veryvery
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for veryvery   Author's Homepage   Email veryvery         Edit/Delete Post     
it seems like we keep getting "older writer modern artist" or "modern writer, old artist" and neither of those work to me! i really want a modern writer like johns or bedard or waid with coipel or manapul.

i think coipel is exclusively marvel, unfortunately, but i'd love for him to do beautiful legion art again, especially now that his power has evolved a hundred fold.

--------------------
http://www.adrianaferguson.com
http://joteivv.deviantart.com
http://superfuturefriends.blogspot.com

From: Seattle | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.