Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Visionaries of Tomorrow » Giffen talks some Legion in his newest column (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Giffen talks some Legion in his newest column
Ricardo
Adult Legion Reservist

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo         Edit/Delete Post     
Besides being a great read, he drops some stuff on Legion... And Didio:
7) Sorry, Geoff, but I still think doppelganger characters should be disposed of. I mean, how many Hawkmen do we need? And don't get me started on the plethora of Flashes.

14) Just because you don't know what to do with a character is no reason to kill the character...

15) ... unless it's Karate Kid.

17) Maybe we should stop with all the cohesive universe stuff and just spend a year or two telling good stories. Let the fans work out whatever continuity there is to be worked out. They're so much better at it than we are.

21) Here's a horrifying thought, retell "Watchmen" using the Charlton characters. The horrifying part is, I'd bet money that something along those lines has already been floated past the powers that be at DC.

22) Okay... It was me. I'm a whore. Sue me.

41) Is "Kingdom Come" the new Adult Legion, being a theoretical future riff that's being shoehorned into current continuity? Is this wise?

47) For all of you Didio haters out there, you'd be surprised how many pros sign on at DC specifically because of him.

54) Tidbits from meetings I wish I could have sat in on:

"No, really, his name is Comet and he's a super horse."

"We can call him Matter-Eater Lad."

"Batmobile, Spidermobile. The kids'll love it!"

"... and then Mephisto makes it all go away."

"Alaska. She's the governor. I think it's a perfect fit."

71) When DC first offered me "Reign In Hell," I thought it was going to be about DiDio.

72) Oddly enough, Streaky is also the nickname my wife has given to my boxers.

73) Legion of Super-Heroes? Yeah, I'd take another run at it.

Gotta love this guy... And hell yeah for another run at LSH!!! In fact, it would be great if he did something with Bedard on dotLEGION...

From: Brasil | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matthew E
Suprmetrician

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matthew E   Author's Homepage   Email Matthew E         Edit/Delete Post     
I don't think I want Giffen back on the Legion. Not that I don't like his previous Legion stuff or that I don't think he's good. I'm just not a big believer in bringing people back.

--------------------
Legion Abstract

From: Ontario | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Quislet
Vote for Mighty Mog

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Quislet   Email Kid Quislet         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Matthew E:
I don't think I want Giffen back on the Legion. Not that I don't like his previous Legion stuff or that I don't think he's good. I'm just not a big believer in bringing people back.

I definitely don't want Mr. Giffen back on the Legion. I'm sure he's a nice guy and all, but it takes years to repair his zany antics.

--------------------
"My dance card was getting fuller than a contestant's at a Jandan shurg-off." - Exnihil, The Lost Klordny

From: Frederick, MD | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pariscub
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pariscub   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I'd love to see Giffen back on Legion. Better him than Waid any day!

But I doubt it would happen.

--------------------
Ze Frainch Legion fan

From: Edinburgh, Scotland | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
armsfalloffboy
huh?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for armsfalloffboy   Email armsfalloffboy         Edit/Delete Post     
I'd pay 3.99 for that Legion comic. Seriously, however abrasive the guy might be, he's involved in at least 7 of my top 10 Legion moments of all time. I enjoy his column when it appears.

--------------------
The only consistent feature of all of your dissatisfying relationships is you.

Don't judge me!

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
future king
Excuse me but can you please direct me to the La Brea Tar Pits in Los Angeles?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for future king   Email future king         Edit/Delete Post     
I am a fan of Giffen's early work on the Legion. His clean lines (back then) were perfectly suited for the futuristic look that one would expect from the Legion's era.
Once he started experimenting with blacker/bolder lines and all those shadows on faces, etc he really lost it for me.
If he went back to his original style then maybe he would work out, but seriously that's never going to happen.
I will say this again... Barry Kitson was a breath of fresh air, and his work, IMHO, was some of the Legion's finest on any of the past versions.

From: ontario | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
veryvery
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for veryvery   Author's Homepage   Email veryvery         Edit/Delete Post     
what! i'd love giffen+legion again! just seeing him write the little snippets for the dc/wildstorm mashups showed that he can still do them. i REALLY like midnighter! totally modern, mature, and fun to read!

and we'll be getting that short story from him sometime, right?

--------------------
http://www.adrianaferguson.com
http://joteivv.deviantart.com
http://superfuturefriends.blogspot.com

From: Seattle | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tromium
Decrystallized

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tromium           Edit/Delete Post     
Not to my knowledge. There's a short story by Levitz drawn by Jim Lee awaiting publication next year. Giffen *wants* to do another Legion story with Levitz but as far as we know, it's not a done deal.

Seeing that DC wants us all to forget all about the TMK continuity, and his last two Legion writing efforts (the one-shot with DnA and Dream War) didn't light any fires under Legion fandom, I supect any future forays into the Legion will be restricted to drawing it. Co-plotting at most. I won't ever again purchase anything with Giffen's name on the credits page, though. I think he's a real loser.

From: Reimagined Trom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Tromium:
Not to my knowledge. There's a short story by Levitz drawn by Jim Lee awaiting publication next year. Giffen *wants* to do another Legion story with Levitz but as far as we know, it's not a done deal.

You just made my mouth water. I would love to see a Giffen-Lee story. As for the Giffen-Levitz story? I would love that. Now mind you I'm not asking for them to jump back on the book but it would be nice for a 3 or 4 issue arc.
From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
I'd prefer to see a Giffen mini/one-shot/limited project outside of any continuity (and I agree with him about "continuity"). His Wildstorm/Dc X-over bit didn't do much for me (did they ever finish that? I gave up after #2 or #3 and never even noticed it on the stands after that).
From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Ambush Bug / Matter-Eater Lad team-up!

I know at least 20 posters who'd buy ten copies. Hell, I'd buy 40 copies and donate them to libraries and hospitals!

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LegionFan223
Wearer of the Crown

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LegionFan223   Email LegionFan223         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Kid Quislet:
quote:

I definitely don't want Mr. Giffen back on the Legion. I'm sure he's a nice guy and all, but it takes years to repair his zany antics.
Giffen back on Legion??? No, no, no, a thousand times no!!! He does too much damage everytime he goes near it! I hope Dido doesn't fall for all that ass kissing and keeps him far far away!

--------------------
I am smelling like a rose that somebody gave me on my birthday deathbed.

From: Orando | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
veryvery
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for veryvery   Author's Homepage   Email veryvery         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Tromium:

Seeing that DC wants us all to forget all about the TMK continuity, and his last two Legion writing efforts (the one-shot with DnA and Dream War) didn't light any fires under Legion fandom, I supect any future forays into the Legion will be restricted to drawing it. Co-plotting at most. I won't ever again purchase anything with Giffen's name on the credits page, though. I think he's a real loser.

oh snap, i was thinking of levitz. they're very conflated in my mind. have you read any of his more recent work though?!

quote:
Originally posted by Kent Shakespeare:
I'd prefer to see a Giffen mini/one-shot/limited project outside of any continuity (and I agree with him about "continuity"). His Wildstorm/Dc X-over bit didn't do much for me (did they ever finish that? I gave up after #2 or #3 and never even noticed it on the stands after that).

yes that finished! i read it all, though i stopped buying it at 2 because i was a little turned off by something but then people were talking about it (maybe on a podcast) and i gave it another chance, i'm really glad i did! i'm waiting on the trade now. it's actually really funny and cool towards the end!! so i recc giving it another chance. crossovers usually make me puke on principle alone but i ended up liking it. well... i can only recommend it if you know a bit about the wildstorm universe because otherwise its probably not that interesting. but querl was cool and authority were cool <3

--------------------
http://www.adrianaferguson.com
http://joteivv.deviantart.com
http://superfuturefriends.blogspot.com

From: Seattle | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo
Adult Legion Reservist

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo         Edit/Delete Post     
Dreamwar is actually a pretty solid book, better than most crossover books I've read (it's way better than all DC/Marvel team-ups, at least for making a cohesive reason for battle).
And as for LegionFan233, As far as I know, Giffen was one of the responsible guys for a certain story called Great Darkness Saga. Hardly a damage to the Legion foundation. And - obviously for me - he gave us 5 Years Later, which was never as destructive as the reboot or Legion on the Run.

From: Brasil | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arm Fall Off Boy
Now starring in his own DC Comic, September 2011!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arm Fall Off Boy   Email Arm Fall Off Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by LegionFan223:
quote:
Originally posted by Kid Quislet:
quote:

Giffen back on Legion??? No, no, no, a thousand times no!!!

He does too much damage everytime he goes near it! I hope Dido doesn't fall for all that ass kissing and keeps him far far away!

Here Here! I vote nay also. Sorry, KG. An keep those Bierbaums away too.

--------------------
Long Live all them Legions!

From: North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.