Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Visionaries of Tomorrow » Giffen talks some Legion in his newest column (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Giffen talks some Legion in his newest column
Superboy
RE-RETCONNED

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superboy   Email Superboy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Ricardo:
[QB]
14) Just because you don't know what to do with a character is no reason to kill the character...

15) ... unless it's Karate Kid.

Says the guy...that truly is hilarious...he or Paul Levitz played a role in killing every Legion character killed in the book up till about 1993...it's easier to list the ones they didn't kill...

Supergirl, Invisible Kid, and Ferro Lad. Those are the only ones they didn't kill between the Legions founding and 1993. All the otehrs...killed by mssrs Levitz and Giffen acting together or separately.

And in the case of Giffen...he was stopped from killing even more of them....

Hat Trick
Shvaughn...

Among others.

Levitz and Giffen combined and separately killed probably close to 20 long standing or important Legion characters.

They've got no ground to call anyone else about killing...as they pretty much ushered the trend into the industry in the early 80's...and Paul Levitz still subscribes to the theory that characters need to be killed to have an emotional impact...which to me just proves his limitations as a writer.

Ironically enough, his greatest story(and Mr. Giffens as well most likely), they did not kill a single major character...too bad they lost sight of that.

I'm not sure which one killed more...Levitz or Giffen, but I just know Giffen would have killed the most if he hadn't been stopped....and he didn't stop at characters either...he killed Earths and moons.

[ November 22, 2008, 10:54 AM: Message edited by: Superboy ]

Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
How long did those two have impact on the book compared to others?
From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo
Adult Legion Reservist

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Blockade Boy:
How long did those two have impact on the book compared to others?

Far more than Tom McCraw, Tom Peyer or Edmond Hamilton - as much as fans of ADV-era Legion might argue. Legion became a hot property with Levitz, no question about it. It doesn't mean it had its great moments before that (Shooter's run, for instance). But it didn't even had its own title before that. Legion was a sub-product of Superboy.
As for the killing, Ferro Lad started it. Or even worse: Lightning Lad started it - WAAAAAAAAY before Levitz.

From: Brasil | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I love Levitz and Giffen, and all of their runs. But saying they had 'a far bigger impact' than Edmond Hamilton? That's pushing it. There might not even be a Legion or any sci-fi superheroes without Hamilton and Otto Binder.
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chemical King
Back in continuity

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chemical King   Email Chemical King         Edit/Delete Post     
There wouldn't have been a Captain Future without Hamilton, and thus, my whole childhood would have been a poorer time... but well, Hamiltons Legion merits? Have to look em up...
From: Bamberg, Germany | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superboy
RE-RETCONNED

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superboy   Email Superboy         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm pretty sure Shooter has been a part of more Legion stories than Giffen...Shooter's killed one character in about 80 something issues he's written in 40 years....and it was a character he created. Although he is about to kill another one.

Still Shooter has created just about all of the memorable Legion Villains outside of the Time Trapper, and more than his share of memorable Legionaires...

Conversely, Giffen has been a part of about the same number of Legion stories and his kill count reads:

Blok
Sunboy
Mon-El(later resurrected)
Rond Vidar
Chameleon Boy
Karate Kid 3 times
Princess Projectra
Laurel Gand
2 of Duo Damsel's bodies(resurrected one of them)

And I didn't even name any Villains...

And he's created I think maybe 5 memorable Legion characters...in spite of one of the longest associations with the team.

Levitz is similar although not quite as bad as Giffen...but he still killed way more than he created, and way more than any other creator aside from Giffen, per story written or total. IMo his kill specialty was Villains, the really good Villains..and he tended to kill them permanently...and like Giffen, he created probably less than all but a handful of creators that ever worked on the book....inspite of the longest tenure on the book.

He killed way more than he created...unlike Shooter, Siegel, Hamilton...and even Mark Waid and Gerry Conway.

Sorry...I don't really want to see either of these guys on the Legion that just got brought back...

Maybe an elseworlds where they can kill all the characters they haven't killed yet

Ultraboy's never been killed yet right? Maybe they can take him out once...

...maybe Giffen can blow up the Solar System and then the Universe of the Elseworlds Legion he is writing, since that's about all he didn't blow up yet...then he can kill Karate Kid 14-15 more times, since a segment of Legion fans actually seem willing to pay money to see that...they could make it a maxi-series where he kills Val every issue for a year. They could charge 3.99 per issue for it...because creativity of that caliber is worth 4 bucks an issue...and a good time can be had by all that way.

Either that or they should have to write the Legions they left others to write...

[ November 23, 2008, 02:01 AM: Message edited by: Superboy ]

Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glindros
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glindros   Email Glindros         Edit/Delete Post     
I can understand the reservations about having the old team come back to a regular legion book. I would love some fresh blood that doesn't destroy everything too.

Maybe an option could be a mini series. Marvel has done a few Iron Man projects with David Micheline and Bob Layton. For old time fans of the series when it was under their direction, it was like finding lost issues.

Maybe we don't need to go completely back, but rather just pop in for a visit.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superboy-Supergirl
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superboy-Supergirl   Email Superboy-Supergirl         Edit/Delete Post     
No...no...hell no...uh uh...NO...Nada...not in this lifetime...not in any of hawkman and hawkgirl's lifetimes...no no....nope...NO KEITH GRIFFEN ON A REAL LEGION BOOK EVER AGAIN...

he enjoys killing KK too much...and can we also remember he had a hand in Una being eaten by RATS!!!! NO...KG on a legion title ever...again. Love what he did with the legion in the past...but no not on another book again...no.

--------------------
Bring back the super-cousins

From: nyc | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver Age Lad
Part-time member living in another century

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silver Age Lad   Email Silver Age Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
What Keith Giffen did good:

1980s art/plot contributions
Plot for 5YL

What Keith Giffen did bad:

Artwork on Magic Wars and 5YL
Killing KK three times
Retconning Luornu as Triad for no reason
Killing 'Una'
Kid Quantum
Garth/Proty
Shvaugn/Sean
Destroying Earth in a pique with DC
The trial of Polar Boy
The Subs Special

From: Ancient Kingdom of Northumbria, UK | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaim Mattis Keller
Legion-Reference-File Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chaim Mattis Keller   Email Chaim Mattis Keller         Edit/Delete Post     
Is there somewhere on line where the entire column can be read?

Count me in on the pro-Giffen side. The "TMK" era is what drew me into the Legion, and it's pretty clear from reading the stuff that followed his departure that his ideas were the main component of what I liked.

--------------------
Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com
Legion-Reference-File Lad

From: New York, NY, USA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo
Adult Legion Reservist

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Silver Age Lad:
What Keith Giffen did good:

1980s art/plot contributions
Plot for 5YL

What Keith Giffen did bad:

Artwork on Magic Wars and 5YL
Killing KK three times
Retconning Luornu as Triad for no reason
Killing 'Una'
Kid Quantum
Garth/Proty
Shvaugn/Sean
Destroying Earth in a pique with DC
The trial of Polar Boy
The Subs Special

Funny, the bad part is my good part. Bad part of Keith Giffen was leaving the book, actually, to some not-so-good fill-ins.
From: Brasil | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superboy-Supergirl
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superboy-Supergirl   Email Superboy-Supergirl         Edit/Delete Post     
what i liked of the bad part...

killing of Una
Kid Quantum (since it was in the 'new' history post Mon-EL punch...hey his was the first recon punch eat that superboy-prime...it was in a new timeline of sorts so it was true in this legion history and not the original...same with proty-garth...could say the same for Shvaugn/Sean...but at the same time HATED THAT CHANGE).
Destroying Earth...not so bad

And Am I the only one who wished he drew Legion #50 with the time trapper's "death" to have been more like his Pencil work in the Great Darkness Saga?????? It would have been a more memorial story with greater impact I think. Esp that last image of the Time trapper's robe blowing in the wind on that rock spike.

--------------------
Bring back the super-cousins

From: nyc | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chemical King
Back in continuity

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chemical King   Email Chemical King         Edit/Delete Post     
Fandom still divided after so many years... in some parts it's even the same discussion than ten years ago on Legion-List. Those were the days, eh Ricardo? [Smile]

But I guess some things never change. I'll never be a Reboot lover as well, even though I intend to someday reread it... when I'm done with all the other stuff I intend to read and reread like JSA, L.E.G.I.O.N., Love & Rockets, Fables......

As far as Giffen goes, I liked most of his stuff pre- and post-5YL. I also liked his art on 5YL, which is strange cause I'm normally a fan of classic "beautiful" art like George Perez is doing... but I liked Giffen and Pearson. The only things I did not like were the "over-the-top" elements which were Profem, Garth = Proty and the idea of making the Clones the real Legion... glad that we did not have to live though that last one...

From: Bamberg, Germany | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.