Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Visionaries of Tomorrow » Mark Waid discusses 3boot in Interview

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mark Waid discusses 3boot in Interview
Pete Ross
Honorary Member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pete Ross   Email Pete Ross         Edit/Delete Post     
Mark Waid has given a (long) interview with AICN, covering many topics. One of them is his run on the 3boot, where among other things he reveals they had worked out the origin:
quote:
Barry Kitson and I worked out their entire world, including origin material you'll never see, and (at the suggestion of writer Tom Peyer) rethought the Legion as less of a super-team and more of a political movement. And we got some mileage out of it, and I like what we did.
The interview is here; scroll about halfway down for the Legion material (when you see the Legion covers).
Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stephbarton
Possibly an evil Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stephbarton   Email stephbarton         Edit/Delete Post     
Also reveals that DC didn't tell them about the Lightning Saga Legion until they were about to be published, so that stinks.

However, threeboot suffered from more than DC pulling the rug out from underneath them early on, I don't care how well Barry and Waid had the threeboot worked out, they just didn't consistently deliver. Stories were drawn out and unexciting, characters unlikeable, and many of the themes just were "Legion." For a guy who loves the Legion so much, he sure missed the mark about what is appealing about them.

--------------------
Long Live the Legion!

Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Quislet
Vote for Mighty Mog

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Quislet   Email Kid Quislet         Edit/Delete Post     
I wish Mark Waid nothing but the best, but I take issue with the part of the interview where he states the Waid/Kitson team had planned a total reboot to the Legion series. If I remember correctly, they maintained right up until the first issue that it wouldn't be a reboot! He states numerous times in the interview that management (both DC and Marvel) misdirected or flat out lied to him in regard to various titles, but isn't that what happened by himself to us Legion readers?

The TMK reboot and recent WaK reboot may have garnished a few fans, but alienated more than they gained of the long timers, and fractured the Legion continuity to rubble. Their Legion legacy is a few good scattered tales (not enough to justify the rebooting) at the expense of a convoluted dump heap.

It seems to me there is little choice but to return to the Silver Age characters, with or without Superboy, in order to solidify some sort of reader base. Good luck to the next creative team sorting all this mess out.

--------------------
"My dance card was getting fuller than a contestant's at a Jandan shurg-off." - Exnihil, The Lost Klordny

From: Frederick, MD | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks for sharing, Pete.

I don't hate the guy, and do not wish him ill, but it'll take more than his 90s heyday to wish him well in the comics world. I want to see the comics biz put out the best material it can, not fill rack space with veterans who are just coasting. I'd rather see room made for new blood.

I can't really say I feel sorry for him. Blaming Lightning Saga for his own book's fizzle seems like a giant cop-out. He bungled that on his own, as far as I can see.

He had a free hand to do a reboot - how could he expect it would not further convolute the Legion? There is nothing he did that could not have been a completely new series.

All he has shown is his lack of imagination when it comes to reviving the Legion (Again - considering his role in the '94 boot). Maybe he's one of those fans who clutches when he gets the chance to do his favorites.

(Kid Q - your use of "TMK Reboot" makes me wonder if you are referring to 1989 (TMK) or 1994 (the Reboot, which did not involve TMK)).

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
(Moved to Visionaries)
From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete Ross
Honorary Member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pete Ross   Email Pete Ross         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Kid Quislet:
I wish Mark Waid nothing but the best, but I take issue with the part of the interview where he states the Waid/Kitson team had planned a total reboot to the Legion series. If I remember correctly, they maintained right up until the first issue that it wouldn't be a reboot! He states numerous times in the interview that management (both DC and Marvel) misdirected or flat out lied to him in regard to various titles, but isn't that what happened by himself to us Legion readers?

You are not remembering correctly. I was at the panel at the Baltimore Comic Con where the details were first announced back in September 2004. It was always said to be a reboot. Here's proof; a first hand account of the panel. And my own notes from the panel (I posted this somewhere, but I'm not sure where) said this: "It is a reboot; although Mark did say there is an in-continuity reason for it."
Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Quislet
Vote for Mighty Mog

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Quislet   Email Kid Quislet         Edit/Delete Post     
Well, thanks for setting me straight PR on the Waid reboot. I haven't seen that article before. Still, I want to say that there was a lot of concern about a reboot at the time by posters here on Legion World, but TPTB downplayed it to be more of a modernizing, or at least that's how my ever increasing senility interpreted it. My apologies to Mr. Waid.

Kent - I was indeed referring to the 5YL version done by TMK. It was a radical change to the previous Legion version, and even though 5YL was supposed to be a future extension of it, I contend that the characters, setting, and basic premise and spirit of the series was changed so much, I consider it a reboot.

--------------------
"My dance card was getting fuller than a contestant's at a Jandan shurg-off." - Exnihil, The Lost Klordny

From: Frederick, MD | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
I seemed to recall *someone* insisting it was not really a reboot. I thought it was Waid, too.

KQ, 5YL was certainly a departure, but it doesn't meet my definition of a reboot, any more than I consider Cockrum a reboot of 60s Legion. Maybe we need a new term for something less-than-a-boot.

In any case, I do hope Waid does write good things in the future, but I hope he stays away from having creative control over of Legion (but occassional fill-ins or even Elseworlds would be okay).

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Kent Shakespeare:
5YL was certainly a departure, but it doesn't meet my definition of a reboot, any more than I consider Cockrum a reboot of 60s Legion. Maybe we need a new term for something less-than-a-boot.

I tend to use "Relaunch" whether it's a new #1 or just a marked creative departure that doesn't involve restarting a property from scratch.
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.