Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » UBB.LEGIONWORLD » Science Police Headquarters » Advise the advisor please

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Advise the advisor please
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Some questions about threads on The Legion forum. I raise them here because I thought there might be some benefit to discussion or opinions beyond those of my fellow advisors at The Legion.

1. A thread starts on a topic appropriate to the Legion forum, but wanders off into a Monitor Board type of discussion. Should it be moved or left alone since it started on-topic? I'm thinking of the "Something's Missing" thread.

I know I wander off topic myself often, and usually we return to topic or the thread goes dormant. I'm just using this thread as a recent example - suppose it stays on its present tack.

2. "LW Recent Lurkers" thread should probably be moved to Science Police HQ, where the guest question has previously been raised. However, it may be a dormant thread at this point - so would you move it for consistency, or let it slide?

3. The "Man...." thread started by "I ain't got no penguins" was essentially an invitation to other message boards - stay, move to Mission Monitor or to another forum (SP HQ? Anywhere Machine?) Here again, the thread appears to be dormant - but it then becomes a consistency question - and it could be revived at any time.

[ September 01, 2003, 04:10 AM: Message edited by: Fat Cramer ]

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
I debate these type of questions all the time. Usually, it depends on my mood when I read a thread. If I get the feeling that it doesn't belong where it is then I move it. That then puts me in that frame of mind and I search out similar threads and if they give me a similar feeling, I move 'em too.

I think it's up to you advisors on how you want to approach these situations. Scott and I have tried to be as tolerant as possible about what's posted where. Mostly, because we've been dealing with other behind the scenes issues and haven't had or taken the time to police things as maybe they sometimes should be policed.

If you want to take the time to move topics into their more topical area, then go ahead. I'd notify the topic starter so that he/she doesn't then start a thread asking where their topic is. And I'd delete the topic from your forum, so that the place isn't cluttered any further.

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thriftshop Debutante
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thriftshop Debutante           Edit/Delete Post     
Didn't say I wouldn't back-seat moderate....

1. I'd probably be inclined to leave something where it started if it originally fit the forum. As for my SOMETHING'S MISSING thread - that could be just fine in MMB too. I certainly don't mind if it's moved.

2. "LW Recent Lurkers" is about the people who are here (although perhaps not registered) - MMB territory. Post a link to the SP thread.

3. MMB

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vee
Still smoooooth!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vee   Email Vee         Edit/Delete Post     
Good questions/points FC! I've also wondered about some of these.

The problem I see about moving the threads when they start to go off topic is that many posters only seem to visit a particular forum. Moving one from The Legion to Anywhere Machine (or anyplace else) would almost seem like deleting it to them.

On the flip side, the post by the user "I ain't got no penguins" is probably more obvious right off the bat and could be moved immediately when spotted.

Just some random comments and observations since I'm not sure myself what the best course is.

--------------------
"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
My policy as moderator is to do nothing unless someone asks me to. If someone wants a thread moved, let me know. Otherwise, it's staying where it is.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
My policy as moderator is to do nothing unless someone asks me to. If someone wants a thread moved, let me know. Otherwise, it's staying where it is.

That's a good policy, too. [Smile]
From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks for your input all.

Next question!!

There are multiple advisors for each forum. If one decides to - or wants to- take some action, should the others be consulted first? Advised after? I realize it could depend on the severity of the action, but, generally speaking, what's your opinion?

I did move one thread Saturday or Sunday to the MMB and didn't consult anyone because (A) I thought it was pretty clear-cut and (B) no one else was on the board at that time so I didn't bother to PM people and wait a day for feedback. (I did PM the thread starter. And the universe didn't come to a grinding halt, much to my relief.)

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Benevolent dictator comes to mind. If there's no bashing, intimidating of other posters...you could just let the posters decide where to put their threads. Most will try to follow forum content. "Volunteer" advisors are here also to have fun, not work.

This board self-regulates rather well don't you think? At another friendly board I visit, if there is a dispute over appropriateness, THE POSTERS take it to the moderator. That seems to work well.

Now I had the feeling, that the penguin guy was trying to start something (troll?) but it was handled well. That poster received his welcome thread and nice comments on the one he started. May be a way to convert an unhappy camper to a participant?

Any way you choose, I really enjoy my time reading this board.

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Oh, Penguin Boy's an old friend of ours. He was just having a little fun being silly.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.