Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » UBB.LEGIONWORLD » Science Police Headquarters » The Pocket Universe is on permanent hiatus. (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Pocket Universe is on permanent hiatus.
Kid Prime
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Prime           Edit/Delete Post     
This is an addition to the original post that I'm making right now. I wanted to apologize to everyone for not completing this project in a timely fashion, and to let everyone know that the deletion of the forum was done solely at my behest.

I felt like it was time for me to answer a few questions concerning the mysterious new forum, The Pocket Universe, which has languished for over a month now.

1. What is The Pocket Universe?

The Pocket Universe is going to be a companion forum to Bits O' Legionnaire Business and LegionPics. It will be open for everyone to contribute and enjoy. And it is my hope that everyone WILL contribute and enjoy what's planned there.

2. Why have a new forum when Bits O' Legionnaire Business is already available for creative pursuits?

I had an idea for a special kind of Legion-related creation about 2 weeks before Christmas, and I thought that I would use the Bits forum for it. However, as I began to work on my idea, I came to realize that if I was going to do it, a new forum was going to have to happen. It was simply too big. I still want to make it something of a surprise, so I don't want to give EVERYTHING away, but the initial single work is going to consist of around 200-250 threads. NOT posts. THREADS. And it is my hope that if others get involved, that they will feel free to use a very large amount of threads too. Once I realized that the project was going to be this big, I KNEW that I couldn't put it on Bits. It would bump all the other talented and gifted people who use that forum 10 pages back, and I did not want to be so unthinking as to steamroll over everyone else's creative juices. This is the reason for the new forum.

3. How in the world are projects of this scope EVER going to work on this forum?

Figuring out the format has been part of the delay. I hate to say "You'll have to trust me on this," but I've figured out a way to make it work, and it's very elegant.

4. Why has this taken so long?

It's entirely my fault.

I thought I would use the suspense that a new and mysterious forum would bring to create anticipation and excitement over the contents. Also, I had intended to use the same anticipation as a sort of incentive to keep me on task, so as not to let everyone down. I thought that by pressuring myself using everyone else's anticipation of the event that I would be able to overcome my tendency toward procrastination and incompletion, because I was genuinely excited about the project.

I was wrong. And I was wrong to use other people's anticipation and curiosity like that. It was very vain of me. And I've (re)learned a valuable series of lessons from this. If I were to do this again, I would create the entire project first, THEN do the anticipation for a few days, and THEN open the forum. It was my mistake to create the forum before I had anything to put in it, and for that, I apologize to everyone. I could tell you about how wild this month has been for me, and that only in the last week or so have I even been able to spend any serious time here at LW, but that would be making excuses, and I don't want to do that, because the fault for this forum not opening in a timely manner is, once again, entirely my own.

5. So what happens now?

I may be nuts, but I still want to do this. Call me thick-headed, but I don't want to give up on this project, as I have given up on other things I have wanted to do in the past. I'm going to go ahead and save and delete the materials that are in the forum right now. It is a nice little test creation (done by STU, at my request) but it's not fair to allow some people to see it and others not to. I'll reprint it later. While I could just go ahead and open the forum, I want to give everyone something to look at and not just have blank space sitting out there. That is probably my vanity. I just have this idea of this really cool thing I want to start out with.

6. Who knows the specifics on what the Pocket Universe is going to be designed to contain?

Myself, Nightcrawler, Lightning Lad, and STU.

7. What IS the Pocket Universe going to contain?

I... still want that to be a surprise. [Smile]

Anyway, I started this thread to apologize to everyone, to let everyone know that I AM working on the project, and to give everyone a chance to put their two cents in on it, ask me questions, express disapproval on the way I've played everyone, cuss me out, whatever. I had said in another thread on the MMB that tomorrow I would be opening the thread.

It humiliates me to say that that's not going to happen. I have to ask for more time, maybe just a couple or 3 more weeks. I AM working on this with haste, and until I am ready, I do promise that there will be no more "secret posting" done in that forum. That DID happen a little bit and I regret that. I thought it was harmless, but in hindsight, it was very exclusionary, and this message board is designed to be the MOST NON-exclusionary place you can come to on the internet. I regret that my lack of forethought caused that to happen, even in a very small way. We are a community here, and I never EVER want to undermine that.

Kid Prime

[ February 21, 2004, 09:28 PM: Message edited by: Kid Prime ]

--------------------
White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.

From: Birmingham, AL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
I had my own thoughts, but even with Kid Prime's request, they belong in a PM, not in public.

Still, I don't like seeing anyone submit in public to acknowledging self-"humiliation." Jeff, you don't deserve that, and you especially shouldn't inflict that on yourself. No matter what the project is, how intricate it is, or whether your strategy and tactics were the best choices or not.

It got beyond what you expected. Good gods, we've all had some of those fiascos. I've had that with trying to gather the mass of LegionPics files from our volunteers on three continents, mostly one at a time, and that -- between personal setbacks and technical delays -- has taken months now.

So I have my own thoughts, but they're for Jeff alone, except for these: Stop berating yourself. Do what you can to finish this, if that's what you want to work on. And, yes, we don't need any more teasers, amigo {rueful smile}

From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks for the update KP - it really does sound interesting - and mammoth! The anticipation is fun. Don't be too hard on yourself. It's good to see you're excited about your project - that spills over to everyone.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks for the update KP! I can't wait to see what's going on in there, what you have planned!

And don't worry yourself, when I found out that it was your project, I knew that you'd get to it when you could!

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
Ditto! I think you should be congratulating yourself on thinking of such a task... well, once it's finished, of course. [Smile]

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doctor One
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doctor One   Email Doctor One         Edit/Delete Post     
Looking forward to it! And don't be that hard on yourself, it's really not worth it.

In fact, why don't you go take a walk or something? You know, go smell the flowers? (even if at the moment you'd probably have to go to a Botanical Garden to do that). We're all very excited about the project, but don't stress out about it. When you're done, you're done, and we'll be here ready to enjoy it.

Juan

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
I stopped to smell the flowers once...

Turns out they'd just been "visited" by a local dog... [Frown]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stu
Time Trapper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stu   Email Stu         Edit/Delete Post     
Is that a thread in your Pocket Universe, or are you just happy to see me? [Big Grin]
Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
Well, how is this going? Will we see this project before, say, Leap Year Day?

If not, I think you should at least end the protracted suspense, and tell us what the forum will be about.

From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portfolio Boy
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Portfolio Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Portfolio Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Greybird is right!
From: Sumner, ME | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Portfolio Boy:
Greybird is right!

Somehow, that doesn't quite work as a slogan.

Maybe: "I agree with Greybird!"

Better, but, still not quite satisfactory. I'll have to put some thought into this...

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stu
Time Trapper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stu   Email Stu         Edit/Delete Post     
I think people should let KP be.

I'm sure he's working on this as hard as he can. And if he'd wanted to make another general announcement as to what the forum is about, he probably would have done so already.

[ February 21, 2004, 07:19 AM: Message edited by: STU ]

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
STU's a STUD!

Now, THAT is a groovy slogan!

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doctor One
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doctor One   Email Doctor One         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Greybird:
Well, how is this going? Will we see this project before, say, Leap Year Day?

If not, I think you should at least end the protracted suspense, and tell us what the forum will be about.

I agree with Stu here, when KP is ready he'll let us know. In the meantime there's enough other things to do around here.
From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

I wouldn't have said anything, but he asked above for comment, he's not answering PMs about it, and it's still sitting there plunked in the middle of the forum summary. He said two to three weeks, so it's not unreasonable to ask after two weeks.

I'm not doing this to harass him, I'd like to use it and be enlightened from it, whatever it is. Would he prefer we become indifferent about it? I doubt that.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.