Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » UBB.LEGIONWORLD » Science Police Headquarters » Foreign Languages (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Foreign Languages
Doctor One
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doctor One   Email Doctor One         Edit/Delete Post     
Do you guys think it would be wise to create separate forums for musings about the Legion in languages other than English?

We have many Legion Worldlers from non-English-speaking countries, and they (we!) seem to enjoy posting here. But there are many people who just don't speak English well enough to participate in Legion World regularly. Perhaps adding Foreign Language Forums would enable them to do that. I don't know how much traffic there would be in those forums, especially in the beginning, but with a little publicity perhaps they could be viable... And English-speaking Legion Worldlers could benefit, too, I'm sure many people would like to have places to practice their knowledge of foreign languages.

So, what do you guys think?

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
I can discuss it with Scott. But I just cleansed the board of lesser used forums. I'm not sure I'm up for adding anymore anytime soon.
From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
You could try to gauge interest-- maybe headline a thread on the MMB: "Legion World: Now en Espanol!", and see what kind of participation it gets.

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
Auf deutscher Sprache? I could use the practice.

One forum at first, perhaps, if this is done, with the language of each thread prefixed in the title in English. Such as: [Spanish]

On the other hand, that could be done by individual thread in the existing forums, as well, and as Pov suggested.

From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I would go with Pov's suggestion of headlining a thread or two in a different language and see how much serious participation it gets. Not that a lot of the participation around here is serious.

And if we do create a forum what do we call it? The Universal Translator?

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doctor One
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doctor One   Email Doctor One         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Greybird:

On the other hand, that could be done by individual thread in the existing forums, as well, and as Pov suggested.

Hm, I don't know, it would probably be quite difficult for people who don't speak English to sift through a lot of English thread titles, if it was me I'd get bored very quickly (just imagine looking for single threads in English in say a Hungarian website. I'd find that very irritating). I still think a single place with all the threads in a particular language would be better. But yes, there's a concern that the traffic would be too low...

Und ich wusste gar nicht, dass Du Deutsch sprichst. Woher? Hast Du mal in Deutschland gelebt? Oder hast Du vielleicht Deutsche Vorfahren? Mein Deutsch habe ich in Kolumbien gelernt, ich war dort in einer Deutschen Schule, und so ist Deutsch, nicht Englisch, meine zweite Sprache.

Toll, das ist aber eine Ueberraschung! Was man nicht alles ueber anderen Leuten hier erfaehrt...

Juan

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
I think that when you take into account that the fact that we just combined the creator forums to alleviate some diagnostic problems we were having, turning around and creating a bunch of new forums at this point might just defeat the purpose.

How about headlining some alternate language threads in some of the existing forums, and then perhaps we could re-look at creating new forums after we get our own server down the road? Perhaps if we get into a more stable hosting environment them numerous forums won't be as big of an issue.

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doctor One
Active

I know very little about computers, but if these foreign language forums are going to cause problems to the running of Legion World, they are clearly not worth it. Maybe it would be best to keep the idea in the back of our minds until it becomes feasible?

Juan

Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
That's an interesting idea, Juan - I'd go with a headlined thread for now to guage interest and participation.

One thing we did when I worked in Quebec... a lot of people could understand English (or French, if we were dealing with Toronto) well enough to follow conversations or read, but writing in the other language was another matter. Consequently, meetings, reports, memos would sometimes run in the two languages.

So maybe here you could have a Spanish thread, with English responses permitted for those who can read but not write the language? It could add to the traffic....unless it became a predominantly English thread, defeating the purpose.

(I'm just assuming that Spanish is the most likely second most common language here.)

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
Maybe with the new Flag feature we can better gage just how international our membership is and what actions, if any, we can take to be more inclusive.

[ February 16, 2004, 05:11 AM: Message edited by: Nightcrawler ]

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
A foreign languages forum sounds interesting. But do we have enough knowledgeable posters to moderate it?

quote:
Originally posted by Juan:
Und ich wusste gar nicht, dass Du Deutsch sprichst. Woher? Hast Du mal in Deutschland gelebt? Oder hast Du vielleicht Deutsche Vorfahren? Mein Deutsch habe ich in Kolumbien gelernt, ich war dort in einer Deutschen Schule, und so ist Deutsch, nicht Englisch, meine zweite Sprache.

Toll, das ist aber eine Ueberraschung! Was man nicht alles ueber anderen Leuten hier erfaehrt...
[/QB]

Ich bin Greybird nicht, aber ich habe deutsch auch gelernt. Ich studiertete deutsch beim Universitaet im Vereinigten Staaten, obwohl ich habe die Sprache nicht fuer vielen Jahren benutzt. Mein deutsch ist ein bisschen rosten lassen, ich denke.

Deutsch ist dein zweite Sprache, anstatt englisch? Sehr interessant.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doctor One
Active

Oi! Noch jemand, der Deutsch spricht! Eine Ueberraschung nach der andere... Wieso hast Du Deutsch an der Uni gewaehlt, anstatt irgend eine andere Sprache? Warum findest Du Deutsch interessant? Diese Sachen interessieren mich...
Nightcrawler
Founder

quote:
Originally posted by Nightcrawler:
Maybe with the new Flag feature we can better gage just how international our membership is and what actions, if any, we can take to be more inclusive.

BTW, we were having problems with the mod and thus shut it down. I may try it again later.
Doctor One
Active

quote:
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
That's an interesting idea, Juan - I'd go with a headlined thread for now to guage interest and participation.

For the idea of foreign language forums to work, we would need to go recruit people elsewhere, in foreign language sites. People who are already in Legion World are generally comfortable posting in English, in most cases they prefer posting/reading in English rather in other languages. Right now, we could have single threads in foreign languages, and it would be nice enough, but I suspect that they would soon peeter out, because people would naturally tend to fall back into English. What I was suggesting is giving non-English speakers a more-or-less permanent home here at Legion World.

And yes, occasional contributions in English should of course be 'allowed', just as foreign language contributions in English threads are. It just would be a mistake to expect many readers to understand them...

[ February 22, 2004, 04:41 AM: Message edited by: Juan ]

Nightcrawler
Founder

I'm not trying to dismiss your idea here, Juan, but the removal of 5 forums recently has lessened my workload of backing up and maintaining the site considerably. Seriously, it was getting tedious. I didn't remove the forums without a good reason. (All posts were absorbed into other forums, BTW.)

I would prefer finding an alternative to having any more forums added. At least in the near future.

[ February 22, 2004, 05:34 AM: Message edited by: Nightcrawler ]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.