Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » UBB.LEGIONWORLD » Science Police Headquarters » Advisors on Strike!

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Advisors on Strike!
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
I've added the Strike modification to the message board.

Basically, Founders and Advisors can use the "Report a Post" icon (Tyroc) at the bottom of a poster's post to "Strike" that person. After a user gets 3 (THREE) strikes, that user is temporarily banned.

So what's the point of all of this?
This is so that advisors can deal with a troll in the event that no founders are present and don't have to spend/waste all of their time and energy just deleting/editing/locking up posts until Founder help arrives.

Hopefully, it'll never get used.

[ July 28, 2004, 12:27 AM: Message edited by: Nightcrawler ]

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
One does thus hope, but trolls can (and have) struck quite quickly, so such a feature is needed.

Can a "strike" be entered against a troll only once per message? Or per advisor? Or both?

I suppose it would take, in practical terms, at least three (or so) utter, flagrant, supremely stupid items to be fairly certain it was a troll, and not just someone having a bad day or two.

To recall how James Bond -- that is, Ian Fleming -- categorized it: "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action." [Wink]

[ April 29, 2004, 01:17 PM: Message edited by: Greybird ]

From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portfolio Boy
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Portfolio Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Portfolio Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Has there been some issue I am not aware of? Seems to me that Legion World has been charmingly troll free.
From: Sumner, ME | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
Is there a time limit on the strikes, BTW?

PoFo, two words - Nature. Boyz.

'Sides, it's not exactly out of the question that someone could sign up just to cause havoc.

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
So does the ban happen automatically upon one receiving three strikes?
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Greybird:
Can a "strike" be entered against a troll only once per message? Or per advisor? Or both?

I'm still unsure about that without more testing. I think the same message can't be struck twice. Not sure about the advisor limit yet. Let me test some more.

quote:
Originally posted by Obadiah Oldbuck:
Has there been some issue I am not aware of? Seems to me that Legion World has been charmingly troll free.

More or less, yes. But we have developed enemies in the past.

quote:
Originally posted by Sanity or Madness?:
Is there a time limit on the strikes, BTW?

'Sides, it's not exactly out of the question that someone could sign up just to cause havoc.

Let me test it some more. I had added it just before I had to go to bed this morning.

And, you're right.

quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
So does the ban happen automatically upon one receiving three strikes?

As far as I can tell, yes. But let me see for sure.
From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
BWaaa Ha Ha!!!

Uh, OH, Never mind the man behind the curtain.

strike, strike, strike [Evil]

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Okay. Here's the deal.

Once a user is "struck" 3 times within 30 days time (and a minimum of a few seconds), that user loses all of their privileges immediately, except for the ability to edit their profile. If a mistake is made, a Founder can then restore those privileges.

Once a single message has been struck, that particular message reverts to the "Report a Post" status, even for an Advisor or Founder. So it takes 3 different posts to "strike" a user.

Nightcrawler
Founder

Also, the details of the "strike" are kept on record. Who did what to whom and why. So only "strike" for real. Abuse of Moderator powers may result in loss of said power. [Big Grin]
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
Nice work, Gary. Nice way to keep LW troll-free.

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Thanks.

I'll be away as of Monday for ten days in Indiana. I know I'll have access to the internet then, but I'm not sure how much time I'll have to be around. This is one of the ways I hope will keep trouble to a minimum.

Kid Prime
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Prime           Edit/Delete Post     
Have fun in Indiana, Gary! Remember, there's more than corn in Indiana! (Indiana Beach slogan) :-)

--------------------
White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.

From: Birmingham, AL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
[Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] !!!

<rubs eyes>

<blinks real hard>

JEFFEY?!

[Hug] [Love] [Hug]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Thanks Jeff!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.