Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » UBB.LEGIONWORLD » Science Police Headquarters » I lost my name! (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I lost my name!
Kid Prime
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Prime           Edit/Delete Post     
Like, I know it's my own fault, what with the body-switching and stuff, but the board's telling me "Kid Prime" is now reserved by another existing member. Scott, Gary, he'p me! He'p me! [Optimus Prime]

--------------------
White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.

From: Birmingham, AL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
Gee, you're cute! [Nightcrawler]
From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
I would like to point out that this is not my fault. [Calamity King]

[ July 15, 2004, 06:39 PM: Message edited by: Eryk Davis Ester ]

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Prime
Founder

Mm hmm. Where's Policy Pam?

--------------------

From: Birmingham, AL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I guess you'll have to go back to being in my body.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Prime
Founder

Well, if you're not doing anything...

What am I saying! I want to be Kid Prime again!!!

--------------------

ActorLad
Un-Famous

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ActorLad           Edit/Delete Post     
Did you check the couch?

--------------------
ActorLad

Friendly Neighborhood Performer

Visit my official hangout ActorLad's Cool Luau over at the Mission Monitor Board!

From: Alaska | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Prime
Founder

... it's not there... [Frown]

--------------------

Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
Unless the Public Display Name is also your Login Name the designed behavior is for it to be restricted from use again by any member including the one who originally used it.

In this case, I manually changed your member file, Jeff. Scott or I would have to do that again should the problem resurface.

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Prime
Founder

Does this mean that I if I change my name again, I'll temporarily lose "Kid Prime" once again (until you bring it back?)

--------------------

Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Can this feature be reset? I can kind of see the point of restricting the names so that only one person can use them, but the "once someone has used it, it can't be used again" just seems a bit extreme.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
I wonder why so many want to capriciously change their names in the first place.

Yes, it's whimsy and it's amusing madness and we like to have fun around here and Grey is being his usual tight-ass self about these things and blah blah blah. Yet can't some points be fairly constant about who we are? Especially to make discussion intelligible.

I can't get much enthusiasm about taking part when I can't even follow the cast of characters. I now note that the "fun" about the election coup, with all its shifts of identities, nearly drove me away from here for good. (Don't all of you say at once, please, that it's too bad I didn't follow through [Roll Eyes] )

From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
Can this feature be reset? I can kind of see the point of restricting the names so that only one person can use them, but the "once someone has used it, it can't be used again" just seems a bit extreme.

It's not my doing. It's hardcoded into the software by the author of the program, Charles Capps. Paraphrasing his words - The concept of having a Public Displayed Name is so that members may change their alias without massive recoding of the forums should they ever grow tired of their user alias. It's not for fun and games.

Most of the time, you guys are effectively banning names that you use. I wouldn't even know where to begin to make the changes needed to offset this feature. My hacks are designed by other more knowledgeable programmers. And one can assume that as forum owners, none of them have a desire for such a hack.

[ July 16, 2004, 03:25 PM: Message edited by: Nightcrawler ]

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
Well, name swapping is crass. Here's what happened when another [non-UBB] board opened the floodgates: http://forum.buffyworld.com/printthread.php?s=&threadid=13802

That said, while not allowing name-swaps is a very good idea, not allowing people to return to their own earlier names is taking it a bit too far...

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

One can ALWAYS revert to their login name. Obviously there is something in the program that for what ever reason does not keep an accurate account (perhaps after someone has changed their name more than once?) of who gets what name. This isn't a I won't do it situation, it's an I can't.

My advice is, if you like a PDN that's not your login, then keep it.

[ July 17, 2004, 04:38 AM: Message edited by: Nightcrawler ]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.