Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » UBB.LEGIONWORLD » Science Police Headquarters » Why is my computer so slow? (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Why is my computer so slow?
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
So I bought MacAffee anti-virus and downloaded spyware doctor, and got rid of lots of adware and viruses and stuff.

But now it seems like my computer is going very slow. Websites take longer to download, and I can't get movie trailers play.

Does anyone have any idea why, or how to get my computer back to normal speed? It used to be waaaaaay faster! Please help!

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
Things may be slower because you no longer have those web pages cached... Your computer saves images for faster pageloads on pages you've already been to. Chances are, aeverything's been cleared and everything's loading new as if you've never been there before. Happens to me when I use IE properties to routinely delete files left by websites.

The movie trailers may be a side-effect of the spyware doctor... does it have some sort of firewall function? If so, or if you're using another firewall, try setting your preferences for whatever program you use to view the trailers to allow internet access.

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vee
Still smoooooth!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vee   Email Vee         Edit/Delete Post     
You're new Spyware software is probably stopping some of the items from loading. I ran into a similar problem with a program like Spyware. They block things like DirectX and ActiveX and pop up windows. I couldn't even get the Graemlin window to work here on LW and I had set LW as one of the exempt sites. Could never figure out how to fix it, so I ended up deleting the whole program.

--------------------
"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Thanks for the feedback guys! Everyone else, keep it comin' [Smile]

The Spyware program does block ActiveX, although I have no idea what ActiveX is. I'll have to get into it and see if I can allow myself to view trailers and make certain sites exempt.

If I have to, I might just delete it like you did, Vee.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov

Good answer, Vee. I forgot about ActiveX components and the llike... [Embarrassed]
From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stu
Time Trapper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stu   Email Stu         Edit/Delete Post     
'Bout time you upgrade, Cobes. The VIC-20 is a thing of the past!
Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
capt._dallas
Co-Creator/Writer: Omega Chase

Icon 1 posted      Profile for capt._dallas           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Varalent:
You're new Spyware software is probably stopping some of the items from loading. I ran into a similar problem with a program like Spyware.

C.K., I had the same problem, and like V., I removed the program, but I also deleted my Windows XP account, and then used my wife's account. After all that, my computer was back up to speed. That spyware/adware blocker really slows the computer down as it's blocking those annoying pop-ups. It's like a war is going on between the pop-ups and the blocker, and it's utilizing all the computer's energy.

Now I don't download ANYTHING, and the pop-ups no longer appear on my screen, and all the websites I access load up instantly.

[ August 21, 2004, 08:31 PM: Message edited by: capt._dallas ]

--------------------
Omega Chase, available in stores in September: http://th3rdworld.com/comics.php

From: Long Island, NY | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

quote:
Originally posted by STU:

I don't even know what VIC-20 means! [Smile]

Cap, that's what I've done. I also have a pop-up stopper installed, and I'm positive that it's making my computer slower too. I guess I should also uninstall that too.

My computer is a bit faster again, although not as it once was. Thanks for the tips guys!

Stu
Time Trapper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stu   Email Stu         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
quote:

VIC-20, Atari 400, AMIGA, whatever. [Roll Eyes] [Wink]
Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
Are you sure it's your computer that's slow Cobalt? [Wink] [Razz]

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Sanity [Wink] !

Actually, I just uninstalled my Panicware Pop-Up Stopper, and suddenly my computer is fast again! I'm working on it right now to see if it's as fast as it once was. I should have known that was what was doing it all along. Thanks Captain Dallas, and everyone else!

Pov

quote:
quote:
quote:

VIC-20, Atari 400, AMIGA, whatever. [Roll Eyes] [Wink]
I tell you, these kids today... [No] I can remember when the Commodore 64 was THE machine to have!

[Mad] Durned kids... now I know how we ALL make Faraway feel sometimes! [LOL] [Wink]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

capt._dallas
Co-Creator/Writer: Omega Chase

Icon 1 posted      Profile for capt._dallas           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Actually, I just uninstalled my Panicware Pop-Up Stopper, and suddenly my computer is fast again!

Glad to hear it. Now you need to resist the urge to download programs. That's where the problem starts.

My computer slowed down due to two "legitimate" downloads. I downloaded Weatherbug.com for local weather updates. That slowed my computer down considerably. When pop-up ads began to appear on my screen every 60 seconds (no joke), I installed a pop-up blocker..., and then I couldn't accomplish ANYTHING on my computer.

I had also downloaded ESPN motion so I could watch sports highlights on Espn.com. I eventually had to delete my Windows XP account because the ESPNMotion corrupted my account so badly I couldn't even open Internet explorer.

Lesson: Even seemingly "legitimate" downloads can make your computer crap-out.

--------------------
Omega Chase, available in stores in September: http://th3rdworld.com/comics.php

From: Long Island, NY | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

It's fast again, but still not as fast as it once was. I'm resisting the urge to uninstall MacAfee, b/c it's so good and I payed for it.

So I guess I have to search through my system and look for other crap that I've downloaded, or downloaded itself, and delete and uninstall it.

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Alright, latest update, please help if you can [Smile] :

I uninstalled my pop-up blocker. I then installed Spybot, b/c I heard it was good, and I wanted something to run at the end of the night to remove all the Adware and Spyware.

Everything was good until last night. Suddenly, I can't open my "My Computer", "My Documents", "My Network Places", etc. icons! I don't know why! But I have no trouble opening Internet Explorer!

Do you guys think this might from SpyBot? From some virus or something? From some dastardly scheme?

Please help [Frown]

And thanks for helping me with computer stuff guys...me and computers just don't seem to like each other...

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.