Legion World
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » UBB.LEGIONWORLD » Science Police Headquarters » Should Reep be permitted to do two Polls at the same time? (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Should Reep be permitted to do two Polls at the same time?
Kid Prime
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Prime           Edit/Delete Post     
Originally posted by Lightning Lad
quote:
So here's my decision, which Gary is more than welcome to change when he gets back.

No more than 2 sim-polls for now. Since we have been experiencing some troubles with the PowWeb server I'd hate to compound them with something we knew caused trouble on the old server.

Sorry Reep. Hope you can live with 2 at a time

I think you already got a response from a founder in this matter. Why do you seek to continue wrangling over an issue that Lightning Lad has already ruled on? I thought the original intent of this thread was to see if people had a problem with you doing 2 polls at once. It doesn't seem like the majority does. I definitely don't. Your polls are great. But you already asked for permission to do more than two polls and you already got a response from a founder. I think continuing to push in this matter after you already got a response from Lightning Lad is somewhat improper. Unless Nightcrawler has any more to say in this matter, let's all move on.

--------------------
White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.

From: Birmingham, AL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
I'll say this one last time, since someone with grossly deficient reading comprehension skills is starting and maintaining a hysterical thread like this one.

I don't give two hoots in hell who runs a poll, or how many, as such. Capiche? All I care about are these two points:

~ That an automatic, unlimited privilege to run polls, which is what has been requested, runs a serious risk of damaging the operation of this Website -- including the activities of those who neither use nor care about such polls.

~ That proclaiming a "vote" on extending any such privilege is, in terms of rights and of common courtesy, the sole prerogative of the two men who own and run this Website.

Otherwise, KP's latest post above pretty much says it all.

And as for the current dollop of personal abuse -- well, past torrents of libels certainly didn't faze me, so the amateurish ones being used now clearly won't do so.

[ November 18, 2003, 02:26 PM: Message edited by: Greybird ]

From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Reep:
Realistically now, how unfair is it to increase my limit on Polls? Nobody else is doing them.

Well, strictly speaking that's not completely true. Of the four polls currently active, only two are yours.

quote:
It never was a question of my Polls being "more important." I'm perplexed at that comment.

I guess I just misinterpretted your "unmatched experience, proven ability, and enthusiastic popular demand" comment. I sort of took that to mean that you felt that yours were more significant than others'. My mistake.

quote:
If some members's noses are getting bent because I am simply trying to revive the fun around here, too fuckin bad.

Well, as long as it's all in fun [Smile]

quote:
And Cru admits he not really interested in Polls, he's concerned about other members.

True, but technically I still am entitled to my opinion on the matter. It's as valid as anyone else's [angel]

quote:
Where's the indignation from the people who like Polling if it's such an injustice? What is happening is that I'm getting support from members who are interested in Polling!

Well, keep in mind that starting this thread was your idea. And although there hasn't been any "outrage" or "indignation", I wouldn't necessarily say that everyone is completely supporting you either.

quote:
I'm awaiting the Founders decision and I hope it is soon forthcoming. One way or the other, let's get a ruling and move on.

Ummm... Agreed! [Smile]

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reep
Resigned

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reep           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Greybird:
...someone with grossly deficient reading comprehension skills...

~ That proclaiming a "vote" on extending any such privilege is, in terms of rights and of common courtesy, the sole prerogative of the two men who own and run this Website.

Never ever, ever said such a Poll was about increasing my limit. To wit:

quote:
You given me a great idea, Grey. Why don't I run a Poll about whether or not I should be limited to one or two Polls at a time? Since you feel my whopping two Poll limit is unjustified, I'm sure you'd like to see a membership vote on the matter.

I absolutely swear to abide by the decision of the majority of the voting membership.

Like I said, since I've already been given permission for two simultaneous Polls, there would be nothing provocative about it. A simple up or down vote whether I should continue to have the privilege.

So I'd like to get other members' opinions on whether they want to see me continue doing two Polls at a time, and also whether I should run a Poll asking whether my two Poll limit should be removed.

Brush up on your "...grossly deficient reading comprehension skills..." Grey.

KP, as LL says, NC has yet to weigh in on the matter, and as, I'll say for a fourth time I believe, it is my view that before I went into retirement that NC had granted me multiple Polling privilege. I may be wrong, but I would like to hear from NC about it.

You are mistaken in how events transpirered regarding this, and I don't want to be rude, but it doesn't help for you as a moderator to mistate the events. I know you didn't do it with ill intent. Still, let's be clear on events. I did not previously petition for an increase past LL's 2 Polls limit.

When I came back, I was uncertain about NC's prior granting of multi-Polling to me, so I asked permission from the Founders to do multi-Polling with the Adventure stories Poll. LL responded and said go for it.

I was unsure if that meant ongoing multi-Polling on just for the Adventure Poll, so I asked for clarification from LL. He posted the above response that you cite. Since he does state it is conditional to NC's input, and since my view is that I was granted multi-Polling from NC before (perhaps mistaken on my part,) I wanted to make clear my views to both Founders in my current and only re-petition thus far for a higher limit.

Which certainly is my right to do so, regardless whether others agree. (I think people are forgetting that others members, including LL, have asked and suggested Polls for me to do, which I have agreed to, and which alone is reason to re-petition the limit.)

As defined by the Founders, the decision for multi-Polling is ONLY a Founders decision. I am glad that everyone, both pro and con are speaking up, but it is the Founders who make the decision whether or not "to move on."

So I think it's time that we hear soon from LL & NC about all this. I've made my arguments, and those opposed to my multi-Polling or increasing my current limit have expressed themselves as well.

I await a hopefully forthcoming Founders decision.

[ChameleonBoy]

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
KP, as LL says, NC has yet to weigh in on the matter, and as, I'll say for a fourth time I believe, it is my view that before I went into retirement that NC had granted me multiple Polling privilege. I may be wrong, but I would like to hear from NC about it.

I believe I said at the time that, if asked, I'd more than likely grant you permission. You have a passion for polling that few others have.

As far as the limits being posed and the reasons for such that have been brought up here:

Polls are as dynamic to a message board as a message board is to a web page. Most web pages are static - written by the author and accessed by web surfers. A MB is dynamic - any member has the power to create a new page or add to an existing one. That makes a message board more stressfull than a normal web site on a server.

Because of this added stress, polls are usually restricted to Mods and Admins at other boards of this type. We've opted to give the power to the people. But, we've sinced learned our lesson. There is a such as too much of a good thing.

Reep, you have permission to do two polls at a time without having to ask. But no more than that. I want the 300 or so members to have a chance too. Should they choose to.

Even though this server is more modern and powerful than the last, I don't think having several polls at once does anyone any good. It's confusing and for those of us who only frequent the boards occasionally it's hard to keep track. I've been away for one weekend and look at what's happened! [Wink]

Anyway, this topic is closed. I have spoken and so it shall be. [Razz]

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.