Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » UBB.LEGIONWORLD » Science Police Headquarters » NOTICE! (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: NOTICE!
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
Any polls that had ended during our downtime can be restarted and given a new enddate by me. Poll staters need to inform me of anything they require of their old polls.

Go ahead and list the demands here. [Smile]

No new, original polls will be started for a few days. I'll need time to confer with LL, KP, and Danny B, before we allow anything new. Since I'm working this weekend and KP is getting married the earliest I can imagine is Tuesday. Sorry.

Not only are the polls obviously getting out of hand and becoming a chaotic mess, but they are also causing a drain on the server. They will be restricted from now on. Scott and I can give access to individual posters, who are then allowed to make one poll and will not be allowed to make an additional poll until the first one has run it's course. The only exceptions will be the founders and/or the moderators. They can have as many polls running as they see fit.

I'm truly sorry about this but it seems the only answer to me. [Frown]

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the boy with UltraPowers
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the boy with UltraPowers   Author's Homepage   Email the boy with UltraPowers         Edit/Delete Post     
hey don't worry !!

the reason you have given, seems fine !! i'm sure we would all want LEGION WORLD to be operating ALL of the time, and if that means a few less polls !!

then that's okay [Smile]

Matthew.

From: Manchester United Kingdom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
icefire
Just like old Times!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for icefire   Email icefire         Edit/Delete Post     
Does this mean at sometime Legion World Wrestling can continue?????

--------------------
Let the Fun Begin!

From: tennessee | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reep
Resigned

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reep           Edit/Delete Post     
Since I’m retiring after I post the Final Tally to LWC 1.2, and since you're greatly changing this Poll forum, I’d thought I’d offer some comments and suggestions now before I forget.

But first, let me join everyone and thank NC & LL in removing the eclipse of Legion World! Another continuing outstanding effort that all appreciate.

If I understand you correctly, NC, members will now need to get authorization to run a Poll from a Mod or Founder. I understand you wish to reduce the amount of “frivolous” Polls, but I think this approach may discourage many other possible fun and serious Polls. My view is it unnecessarily limits possible Polls to the tastes & preferences of Mods & the Founders. I can also see members, especially newbies, becoming discouraged from Polling if they get a few “unacceptable” decisions in a row.

I feel what might be preferable is having the software let members post a Poll and then prohibit them from starting a second Poll till the first has closed. This doesn’t inhibit creativity but does push members to decide which topic is most important to them in running a Poll. Another software option might be to include a minimum period before a member could start a new Poll (say a week,) just in case they decide to run quick 1-3 day Polls.

An issue with these software-restricted Polls are Polls created with alternate IDs, but here I think would be a good use of Moderator prerogative to disallow such alternate ID Polls once started. Or perhaps alternate IDs could be linked in the software so that none of them could start a second Poll till the first Poll ends or a week has passed, whatever is the longer.

As for Mods running their own Polls, there are a couple obvious Polls worth mentioning as candidates for Moderator Polls. Here are my suggestions:

1 - Current Legion Issue Poll - once a month (or whenever it's published, i.e. temporary upcoming biweekly schedule,) using a 1-10 rating scale like I did on rating DNA & Chris Batista’s work.

2 - Guest Appearances Poll - rating any Legion guest appearances or special issues (like Elseworlds or Secret Origins), using same 1 - 10 scale. For guest appearances, Pollster might want to distinguish between the Legion appearance and the quality of the rest of the issue. For any multi-feature issues like Secret Origins, may want to itemize rating questions for each feature and/or have an overall favorite features question.

3 - Reject Poll - If you stick with the gotta-ask-Mods/Founders-first Polling approach, you might want to keep a list of all rejected Poll ideas, and then every 2-4 weeks run a Poll listing all those rejected ideas, and the top 1-3 get to be run by either a Mod or the original idea creator.

Just some feedback. Good luck guys with the new forum and all the other LW changes!

[Chameleon Boy]

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omni Craig
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Omni Craig   Email Omni Craig         Edit/Delete Post     
Retiring? Reep, say it ain't so!

--------------------
Craig C.

- Time travel stories are told in chronillogical order.

From: Santa Ana, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
icefire
Just like old Times!

Reep!!!!No!!!!!!

--------------------
Let the Fun Begin!

From: tennessee | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Reep:
If I understand you correctly, NC, members will now need to get authorization to run a Poll from a Mod or Founder. I understand you wish to reduce the amount of “frivolous” Polls, but I think this approach may discourage many other possible fun and serious Polls. My view is it unnecessarily limits possible Polls to the tastes & preferences of Mods & the Founders. I can also see members, especially newbies, becoming discouraged from Polling if they get a few “unacceptable” decisions in a row.

I feel what might be preferable is having the software let members post a Poll and then prohibit them from starting a second Poll till the first has closed. This doesn’t inhibit creativity but does push members to decide which topic is most important to them in running a Poll. Another software option might be to include a minimum period before a member could start a new Poll (say a week,) just in case they decide to run quick 1-3 day Polls.

An issue with these software-restricted Polls are Polls created with alternate IDs, but here I think would be a good use of Moderator prerogative to disallow such alternate ID Polls once started. Or perhaps alternate IDs could be linked in the software so that none of them could start a second Poll till the first Poll ends or a week has passed, whatever is the longer.

Sorry, Reep. I guess I didn't explain the situation well. The polls are an object of server stress and there are too many running right now to fit on one page. Either way it's not good. Those are the reasons for limiting the amount of polls running. The only reasons. No one (especially me) is critizing the quality or merit of a given poll. I could care less if it solved world peace or if it was a question about how often you brush your teeth. It doesn't matter.

And the software allows me to grant individual posters the ability to make a poll. And that person needs to determine the length, etc. of that poll. I can later "hack" that poll to change things, but that's not the point. The point is right now I do not want another poll made by anyone (including founders and moderators) until we clean up this forum. Close out old, no longer used polls. Figure out a better way keeping track of which polls are running, which ones are closing, closed, etc., etc.

Then and only then, will I allow myself, Scott, Jeff, Matt (Danny Blaine), and all of the posters that I grant permission to to make polls. I would hope that each of us use that priviledge wisely. For non-founders/advisors I would ask that they limit the number of polls that they run at a time to one (unless they have a great idea that can't wait and ask me first before creating it). It's all about self-control. Those posters who can't/won't follow the guidelines will lose the ability to make polls. 'nuff said.

That's all this is about. Again if a poster with the ability to make a poll wants to make one about their favorite color, I could care less as long as they set an end date and they do NOT make another poll until that one finishes. They do not need permission by me or anyone else to make the "frivolous" poll.

Lastly, for the record, should you stay I promise that I'll give you the ability to make polls once the time to do so arrives. I only ask that you follow these guidelines.

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
icefire
Just like old Times!

Nightcrawler, The polls that I currently have posted can be deleted The pick 2 new comics, the solo Legion title and I will make a copy of LW Wrestling round 1 But then it can go bye bye as well. The polls are great fun and I don't have a problem with the new set up!!!!

--------------------
Let the Fun Begin!

Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by icefire:
Nightcrawler, The polls that I currently have posted can be deleted The pick 2 new comics, the solo Legion title and I will make a copy of LW Wrestling round 1 But then it can go bye bye as well. The polls are great fun and I don't have a problem with the new set up!!!!

If there's an end date on them I would like to leave them as they no longer pose much of a strain. We (Scott/KP/DB/I) need to figure out how to organize things is all.
icefire
Just like old Times!

Yes the first 2 have ended!!! Thanks again for all the hard work!!!!

--------------------
Let the Fun Begin!

Reep
Resigned

Thanks NC for clarifying the situation. Yes, reading your first post again, I do see the focus was primarily on the number of Polls, not the subjects of Polls. I had incorrectly linked the two.

Though I am leaving, I am curious as to what criteria you will be using in deciding who will have the Polling capability and how a member might petition to be considered for it.

But I know you'll explain it to all at the appropriate time when Polls start up again.

Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Reep:
Thanks NC for clarifying the situation. Yes, reading your first post again, I do see the focus was primarily on the number of Polls, not the subjects of Polls. I had incorrectly linked the two.

Though I am leaving, I am curious as to what criteria you will be using in deciding who will have the Polling capability and how a member might petition to be considered for it.

But I know you'll explain it to all at the appropriate time when Polls start up again.

They simply have to ask. [Smile]

I'll grant them access to make polls and only take that ability away should they not follow the guidelines. Like I said if they have a really great idea and ask me nice, I'd probably let them do two at a time. I'm a softy.

Nightcrawler
Founder

Oh yeah!

And since I'm clarifying, if ANYONE has a poll that is either ending soon or had ended during the Crisis on Legion World and would like it to continue longer to get more votes in, let me know and I'll hack the end date to the time of your choosing. Got it? Good. [Smile]

Reep
Resigned

NC, I won't request an extension on LWC Version 1.2 because the voting had already slowed for a week or more prior to the down time, so it wouldn't be worth it to keep it active for another week for just maybe three or four votes. I do appreciate you offering to change close times for any Polls that might have been adversly affected by the down time. Thanx.

[Chameleon Boy]

Omni Craig
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Omni Craig   Email Omni Craig         Edit/Delete Post     
Reep, where are you going? What's all this retirement business?

--------------------
Craig C.

- Time travel stories are told in chronillogical order.

From: Santa Ana, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.