Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » UBB.LEGIONWORLD » Science Police Headquarters » Heads Up!

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Heads Up!
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
It looks like this message board will be experiencing some issues next month...

PowWeb (our web server) has changed ownership and...
quote:

In May, we’ll begin the process of migrating customer Web sites and e-mail to a new hosting platform. As with any change, there will be differences in the way you manage your account, and we will need you to be involved in the migration of your site. We appreciate your patience and support, and we invite you to learn more about the migration process.

Ugh! [Frown]
From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
Sounds about par for the PowWeb Experience.

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
Try to be positive, folks. Maybe the servers will be of larger capacity, and won't persist with past synchronization problems. Such as posts in the forum displaying considerably ahead of the "Last Posts" listing.

Are they changing pricing or features, Gary? I hope the ability to control root directories, or whatever major feature it was that made you choose to not find a new provider, will remain in place.

From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm not too worried (until now [Razz] ) about the after effects. The problem looks to be that they think that they can move bits and pieces of our (PowWeb customers') websites over a few months without causing untold havoc. Especially here. This isn't just HTML pages with static content.

This is like us moving to a new host. I'm going to look into moving us manually, but I just don't see me having that kind of time in the near future.

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
Don't worry, it may be rough and we here in the hinterland cant help you much, but we will be happy to do what we can for you, just say the word.

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
yet another side effect of AN ALL DISASTER BOY THREAD!
From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
As part of our ongoing efforts to improve the PowWeb
hosting platform, we will be performing our scheduled quarterly
server maintenance between 12:00am midnight and 8:00am EDT on
Sunday, March 25, 2007.

During this time, your Web site and e-mail, along with the
PowWeb Web site, may be inaccessible. We understand
that the availability of your Web site is critical and have taken
the following measures:

- For the majority of the duration of our server maintenance,
visitors who try to access your site will be greeted with a
brief message that explains the maintenance and invites them
to return after 8:00am EDT.

- Any e-mail sent to you will be stored and then delivered once
the maintenance is complete.

Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
Ah.

Thanks for the warning.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
Is that related to this White Screen O'Death when trying to access LW twice today, for extended periods (>half an hour) both times, including a few minutes ago (I don't know how EDT lines up with UK Summer Time, so that doesn't help - I don't know whether it's meant to be over or not by now...)

quote:
Software error:
Can't EXlock '/home/users/web/b288/pow.legionadmin/htdocs/ubb/cache-EDRVBMT8/lock/global.cgi'. The operating system has run out of file locks to give me. Please ask the administrator to contact the web hosting provider. The exact error returned by the operating system is: No locks available

For help, please send mail to the webmaster (cgiadmin@yourhostingaccount.com), giving this error message and the time and date of the error.

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

I would assume so, since that's the error that occured last time PowWeb decided to "maintain" and change some of the server's operating software.
Nightcrawler
Founder

quote:
Server Maintenance Scheduled for July 31

As part of our ongoing efforts to improve the PowWeb hosting platform, we will be performing server maintenance between 12:00am midnight and 6:00am EDT on Tuesday, July 31, 2007.

During this time, your Web site and e-mail, along with the PowWeb Web site, may be temporarily inaccessible for brief periods of time. We do not expect your site and e-mail to be completely inaccessible for the full duration of the maintenance; rather, we wanted to let you know that you may experience slow or degraded service during this time period. We understand that the availability of your Web site is critical and will do our best to minimize any service interruptions.

Regular preventive maintenance is necessary to ensure optimum performance of your Web site and e-mail. On July 31, we'll be upgrading our storage units to increase capacity, as well as diversifying our architecture to further improve redundancy.

Vee
Still smoooooth!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vee   Email Vee         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Reboot:
I don't know how EDT lines up with UK Summer Time, so that doesn't help

For the record, Eastern Time (US) is GMT -05:00 so (if I'm doing this right [Big Grin] ) midnight Eastern will be 5:00 AM GMT and maintenance will last until approximately 11:00 AM GMT. I'm not sure how GMT lines up with UK Summer time so I can't help there [Smile]

--------------------
"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.