Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » UBB.LEGIONWORLD » Science Police Headquarters » This annoying slowness/error (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: This annoying slowness/error
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
Most (if not all of us) have been experiencing a slowed down message board or getting a page with this error message -

quote:
Software error:
Can't EXlock '/home/users/web/b288/pow.legionadmin/htdocs/ubb/cache-EDRVBMT8/lock/global.cgi'. The operating system has run out of file locks to give me. Please ask the administrator to contact the web hosting provider. The exact error returned by the operating system is: No locks available
For help, please send mail to the webmaster (cgiadmin@yourhostingaccount.com), giving this error message and the time and date of the error.

Since this appears to be a server issue and beyond my control, I've been nothing but frustrated trying to solve this problem.

I've resorted to re-instating the PHP accelerator which converts many links to this address - http://www.legionworld.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php instead of the usual http://www.legionworld.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

I stopped using this in the past as the UK users would see an out-of-date version of the boards. Please let me know if this situation happens for you this time as well and I'll turn it off again and try another possible solution.

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
Well, that didn't solve the problem either. I guess I'm at the mercy of PowWeb who seem to be on Thanksgiving vacation.
From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm going to try to upgrade to version 6.7.3 tonight after the board slows down a bit.

I'll need to re-hack all of the files to retain most of the features we (definitely I) take for granted.

If I should miss out on something, please post about it here as I may have forgotten to do it or it's not working after the upgrade.

Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
Sorry. The upgrade isn't going to happen. Maybe I'll try again next week.

I need to step away from here and enjoy some of my life before work again on Monday.

I doubt it would help the situation anyway as it's the server causing all of our woes.

Faraway Lad
Senator of the UP. Permanent Ambassador to the Court of Saint James

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Faraway Lad   Email Faraway Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Gary
Thanks for taking the time to let us know whats happening, especially as things like this must eat into your spare time and stuff.

Lets hope things even out after a few days

[Hug]

--------------------
Faithfull

From: Newcastle upon Tyne England | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dain
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dain   Email Dain         Edit/Delete Post     
It seems to be much smoother today. I haven't had any error messages and there was only one slowdown for me that lasted only a few minutes.
From: Somewhere in the Multiverse | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Thanks for the feedback!

Keep it coming both good experiences and bad.

It's been impossible to get the server guys to do anything, cause the second they log in, every thing's fine again. And they keep telling me to just clear the cache (which I did...I turned it off...I deleted it...and nothing worked).

Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
For me, it's only marginally better.

I'm only getting diverted to Error pages 1/3 or less of the time, down from 1/2 yesterday. (estimates may be exaggerated by memory and frustration).

Thank you for all your hard work, Gary.

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Yeah. It just happened for me again.

The sad part is that I just renewed for another year on this server on Nov. 21st. It's gonna suck big time if I have to move us.

Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
I got the error message when I first tried to sign on - actually to get to the sign-on screen. But I BACKed and went to the main page first then logged on with no problem.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Nightcrawler:
The sad part is that I just renewed for another year on this server on Nov. 21st.

Given all the problems over the past *checks... great googly-moogly...* FOUR YEARS, I feel I should be more surprised than I am...

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Thanks guys!

Apparently, we aren't alone with this issue with PowWeb - New Server Error(?) After 4 Years!

I'm still bugging PowWeb to solve the issue.

If I do need to move us, it won't happen until around Christmastime.

Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I think, Gary, if we do upgrade to Threads I can finally get us hosted with Globat. I have so much space with my accounts I don't think we'll have an issue.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Hmmm...in that case, we'll have to do it whenever they release 7.3 to keep most (if not all) of the features we know and love around here.

Plus loads more!

Faraway Lad
Senator of the UP. Permanent Ambassador to the Court of Saint James

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Faraway Lad   Email Faraway Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Its still intermittent for me. Sometimes I can get on no problem (usually in the morning) but now its hanging and taking ages to move between pages.

--------------------
Faithfull

From: Newcastle upon Tyne England | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.