Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » A few questions about reading comics... (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: A few questions about reading comics...
Caleb
Member of Lash's Legion of Super Bitches

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caleb   Email Caleb         Edit/Delete Post     
1) Are you guys completely open about collecting comics? (like if you're discussing hobbies)

2) If the topic does come up, do you have any embarassment whatsoever about admitting you read "funnybooks"?

3) Do you read them in public or just the privacy of home?

4) Many Legion World Forumites are involved in a relationship -Does your spouse/partner read also?
If not, how do they feel about you reading?

5) Do you have many friends that read also?

I almost stopped reading because my last b/f kept teasing me about it. Comics weren't the only reason I dumped him but I did get tired of having to defend my hobby. Of course, I wasn't thrilled with his hobby of being a lying cheater, so maybe I shouldn't be too harsh. [Confused]

[ August 01, 2003, 10:50 PM: Message edited by: Caleb ]

--------------------
Bring Back Tellus :tellus:

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Caleb:

1) Are you guys completely open about collecting comics? (like if you're discussing hobbies)

I'm completely open about it. My friends even know I run two, soon to be three, websites devoted to a certain comic.

quote:

2) If the topic does come up, do you have any embarassment whatsoever about admitting you read dunnybooks?

Nope. Never have.

quote:

I'll read them at work (or I used to, too busy lately). And when Caroline's mom had her surgery recently and we were spending a lot of time at the hospital I was reading the Essential Ant-Man and she was reading Essential Avengers.

quote:

4) Many Legion World Forumites are involved in a relationship -Does your spouse/partner read also?

Caroline didn't mind me reading them when we first got married 11+ years ago and she knew I was a collector. She was not into reading them but over the years I've been able to convert her to our way of thinking. [Wink]

quote:

Depends. None read like I do except for a couple of friends who work at the CBS I go to. The majority of my on-line friends do, that's how we mostly met. A couple other friends I work with read fantasy related books, like the DnD ones, and we all enjoy Dork Tower.

quote:

I almost stopped reading because my last b/f kept teasing me about it. Comics weren't the only reason I dumped him but I did get tired of having to defend my hobby. Of course, I wasn't thrilled with his hobby of being a lying cheater, so maybe I shouldn't be too harsh. [Confused]

Well I can sympathize with the later part about exes. My ex-wife was a cheating bitch too. But she didn't mind me reading comics and it gave me a connection to her girls. I'd sit and read books with them all the time when I wasn't working. In fact the kids are the only thing I ever missed about the relationship.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Caleb-- what you need is a boyfriend who doesn't mind launging around all day Sunday in his underwear while reading comics with you (and ordering pizza!)!

What fun!!!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

the boy with UltraPowers
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the boy with UltraPowers   Author's Homepage   Email the boy with UltraPowers         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Caleb:

yeah !! i'll tell people about what they are, i usually have to explain a little more, though !!! because they won't have heard of The Legion so i tell them about Superman, Batman and the X-Men !!! they understand then !!!

2) If the topic does come up, do you have any embarassment whatsoever about admitting you read "funnybooks"?

no not really ....

i'll read them anywhere !!! i actually like reading them in public, to see if people ask you about them !!!

i went to a managers meeting the other month, and we'd just boarded the plane, so i got my pile of comics out to read, and 2 of the other managers started to notice me reading them, we then chatted for the 2 hour flight about comics !!! they read them when they were younger !!!

one of them used to love The Legion !!! she hadn't read them since LSH v2 !!! but she could still recognise most of the current characters !!!

my boyfriend doesn't really comment about them, but he knows how much i love them !!! he actually bought me the ALEX ROSS litho print for my 30th birthday, last year !!! which was amazing !!!

he wanted to get me a really expensive watch, but i said i'd LOVE that so much more !!!

no !! only you guy's here [Colossal Boy]

Matthew.

From: Manchester United Kingdom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
There have been times when I felt a bit embarassed about mentioning it, but I don't really remember specifics -- I mean, lord knows comic book fans suffer from a bit of bad p.r.

I don't have a problem reading them in public or anything like that though.

I used to have friends who collected when I was a kid, which was cool cuz we'd pool out books and read them together -- it's a great way to just keep up to date on other books without having to spend the dough.

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
1) Yes. People at work know about it, and they even know I go to conventions.

2) No. It's odd; I don't feel embarassed but I can get defensive. It doesn't come up much, though.

3) In public. I read them on the train going home, or occasionally on breaks at work. I go to my comics shop once a month, and afterwards I'll stop for dinner at a nearby restaurant and pull a few out there.

4) I'm not involved with anybody right now, but my previous g/fs have not had a problem with it.

5) Some. Most of them don't read anymore, but still like 'em and occasionally ask me about what's good out there currently.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
1) Yup. Always have been, even when it was a source of highschool ridicule.

2) "Aren't you embarrassed to be seen reading... COMICS???"

"Oh. Well, yes, dreadfully. Thank you for pointing out the error of my ways. But it can't be anywhere NEAR as embarrassing as having your ass growing on your shoulders, is it?"

(true exchange from said highschool days... [Wink]

3)I usually read my comics at home, where I have the peace and quiet to enjoy them properly. But I do open my monthly shipment at work when it arrives by UPS, and give everything a look-through.

4) n/a

5) Mainly the friends I've found on the internet, who either share my interests or my general love of comics. I'm friends with the people who work at my local CBS, also. All my friends growing up "outgrew" comics. THEIR loss! [Razz] [Big Grin]

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
1. It depends. I have been very open in the past, but often I'd get responses such as "How much do you think such-and-such is worth?" or "I used to read comics when I was a kid, but gave them up when I went to college, etc."

These days, I share my interest only with people I intuitively feel comfortable with. The rest won't care, anyhow.

2. No.

3. Mostly at home. I have read comics in restaurants on occasion. I don't read them at work because they're too distracting; however, I do have Alex Ross' Legion litho as my wallpaper on my PC. That's garnered a few comments.

4. I'm not currently in a relationship. The last girlfriend I had was slightly familiar with comics. She had read Spawn. But she seemed to think comics were a form of insanity that people did to keep from going insane for real. Comics were my "ism," she called it (as in, "fanaticism.")

5. No. Just the ones I meet online.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caleb

quote:
Originally posted by the boy with UltraPowers:
quote:
he actually bought me the ALEX ROSS litho print for my 30th birthday, last year !!!

I saw that in your profile and became immediately desperately envious.

--------------------

Caleb

My favorite Chinese food restaurant is very close to my comic store, so I usually get my books and eat lunch in there while I read one or two. The waiters even know my usual order.

Lash... lounging naked around the house on a Sunday sounds purrrr-fect. [Razz]

[ August 02, 2003, 05:31 PM: Message edited by: Caleb ]

--------------------

Mattropolis

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mattropolis   Author's Homepage   Email Mattropolis         Edit/Delete Post     
I have never dated someone that reads comics, even my current bf thinks they are silly.

SIGH.

So lounging around on a Sunday, naked; eating pizza and reading comics would be awesome.

--------------------
Touch the magic...

From: Morganfield, KY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rokk steady
Magically Delicious

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rokk steady   Email rokk steady         Edit/Delete Post     
I am not embarrassed to admit anything about my comic hobby and I am very open about it. I read them at coffee shops sometimes, but mostly I don't like reading anything in public (I'm too easily distracted). My guy is very cool with my comic hobby but doesn't read them (he tried Lucifer, but said comics weren't for him). However, he also collects Simpsons memorobilia and toys from the 70's and 80's, so there's kind of a spiritual understanding there. My last boyfriend was a harridan of epic proportions and liked to be dramatic (he was an actor): he once *ripped* a comic in half in the heat of the moment (with ME! who nevers fights with ANYBODY!) and it was over pretty soon after that (there were MANY other reasons). Other boyfriends have kept pretty quiet about it one way or the other. I have NO other friends who read comics 'cept here.

--------------------
Why are you laughing at me? It's unkind, as well as puzzling!

From: City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mattropolis

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mattropolis   Author's Homepage   Email Mattropolis         Edit/Delete Post     
Same here Rokk. I used to go to the park and sit and read for hours.

But I've never really had close friends to sread with, except when I was younger.

--------------------
Touch the magic...

From: Morganfield, KY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Rokky what have I told you about dating harridans!!!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
It's okay as long as they're buying??? [Confused] [Big Grin]
From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.