Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » A few questions about reading comics... (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: A few questions about reading comics...
Estimate Lad
Substitute Poster

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Estimate Lad   Email Estimate Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
1) Are you guys completely open about collecting comics? (like if you're discussing hobbies)

I’m moderately open about it. I don’t go around shouting about it but if anyone asks I do tell them.

2) If the topic does come up, do you have any embarassment whatsoever about admitting you read "funnybooks"?

Not really. I used to. One of my work colleagues took the piss out of me for a while until his line manager stepped in. It later came out that she got annoyed about his mickey-taking because she collected old Rupert Annuals and felt hurt by jibes.

2) Do you read them in public or just the privacy of home?

Mostly at home but that’s to do with the comic shop being just down the street from our house. That said I have read graphic novels on the bus, and enjoy working my way through a large stack of comics on long train journeys. I usually stop by the comic shop when I go camping/surfing to have something to read in the tent. There’s nothing better than reading Legion al fresco with the sound of the sea in your ears.

3) Many Legion World Forumites are involved in a relationship -Does your spouse/partner read also?
If not, how do they feel about you reading?

My girlfriend does read comics although she’s reading a lot less now than in the past. New X-Men and Birds of Prey are her favourites. I’ve tried to convince her to read Legion but I think the continuity and large cast of characters has scared her off!

5) Do you have many friends that read also?

Not really. Only a couple of my friends that I see locally and see every day do, although I have a lot of friends in gaming and science fiction fandom throughout the UK who do.

From: Kernow | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonnie
mere mortal

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonnie   Email Sonnie         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm open about all my hobbies... if people want to take the piss that's there perogative. I read the latest Legion on a busy train to Balham the other day and I got a few strange looks.... I'm not one to care what random strangers think of me, it's my nearest and dearests opinions that count - my boyf does find it strange that a "normally sensible guy enjoys comics" (his words, and he's known me for about seven years now so it just shows he's a crap judge of character) but he really doesn't mind at all, he just doesn't really understand my fascination... most of my friends don't care so long as I get the beers in on my round.

I just wish I had the time I had in my early twenties to lounge about for a long afternoon reading a wadge in one go as these days I'm lucky if I can catch an uninterupted hour to spend with them.

I used to go out with someone and a big part of the attraction was he had a much bigger (oi!) comic collection than me so we would lounge around nekkid reading our faves to one another.... if he hadn't have been such an awful bloke in about every other way he would have been my perfect partner.

Caleb, it's fairly obligatory to find guys who's hobbies are being a lying cheater and undermining confidence. Comics are a much more constructive way to spend your time....

From: home sweet home... unless i'm posting from work | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caleb
Member of Lash's Legion of Super Bitches

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caleb   Email Caleb         Edit/Delete Post     
Sonnie -you really need to stop using all those wonderful slang words. I can barely contain myself.

deep breath... deep breath.

--------------------
Bring Back Tellus :tellus:

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omni Craig
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Omni Craig   Email Omni Craig         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Caleb:
1) Are you guys completely open about collecting comics? (like if you're discussing hobbies)

2) If the topic does come up, do you have any embarassment whatsoever about admitting you read "funnybooks"?

3) Do you read them in public or just the privacy of home?

4) Many Legion World Forumites are involved in a relationship -Does your spouse/partner read also? If not, how do they feel about you reading?

5) Do you have many friends that read also?

1) I'm open about being a comic book reader if the subject comes up, but I don't scream it from the rooftop at work or anything. Funny thing, I used to work at a comics shop. When I got my current job (through a reference from a regular at the shop) I walked the halls of my new employer, counting the number of friendly faces I'd seen many times at the comics shop. There were at least ten semi-regular customers who worked where I still am now.

And all my friends and family know. No biggie to them by now. My parents still don't understand it. I've given up trying to explain it. They accept it.

2) Not really ever ashamed of it. I'm proud of my collection and my rather obsessive passion for the Legion. Although the quack who gave me my vasectomy was almost laughing while we chatted during the procedure when he asked about my hobbies, etc. and I told him about comics. He asked if my wife made fun of me when she found out. I would've decked the guy, but he had sharp implements in tender places.

3) Based on my time between work and family, I only get to read them at home. I'll take a couple to work now and then, and read during lunch, but I have a private office.

4) My wife doesn't read comics yet, and we've been together almost 14 years now (married for 9+). She doesn't mind my hobby at all. I have a large walk-in closet in our house devoted to my stockpile of funnybooks, and bless her heart, when we got married, do you know what she tried to get me for a wedding present? Adventure #247. It proved unsuccessful, but by damn, I love that woman!

5) Not a lot. Back in high school (Class of '85 rules!) a few guys I knew also read, but we've lost touch over the years. Other than that, there's a few guys still at work I talk comics with, we trade issues/TPBs once in a while to sample other stuff. And then there's you guys, you big pack of weirdos! [Wink] [Smile]

[ August 24, 2003, 03:34 AM: Message edited by: Omni Craig ]

--------------------
Craig C.

- Time travel stories are told in chronillogical order.

From: Santa Ana, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm not very open about the comics thing, but I'm getting better. None of my friends now read comics. When I lived in Quebec, it was perfectly acceptable for everybody to read French books like Asterix, Lucky Luke and Malfada...but people I knew & worked with weren't into the superhero/DC/Marvel thing; I don't even think they were available in translation.

My husband LOATHES comics, as I've mentioned here before. He dislikes fiction generally, thinks Star Trek is militaristic propoganda and I hear discourses on a fairly regular basis about mindless escapist literature for people who refuse to grow up. Which I ignore. Like football is for Nobel laureates, eh?

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omni Craig
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Omni Craig   Email Omni Craig         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
Like football is for Nobel laureates, eh?

[Laugh Out Loud] [Laugh Out Loud] [Laugh Out Loud]
Oh yeah, my wife likes football too. We try to watch a game every week (while the children are sedated, ha ha [Big Grin] ). We usually catch about 10 minutes or so of the whole thing. With many children comes great responsibilities... [Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

Dang, I do so love my bride!!

--------------------
Craig C.

From: Santa Ana, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owl Lad
proudtobecanadian

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Owl Lad   Email Owl Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
1. I'm not completely open about my hobby, but I will confess if asked.

2. I'm getting better over my embarrassment to admitting my hobby. Maybe it's a thirtysomething thing. The older I get, the more novel people think it is, whereas when I was in my teen and even in my twenties I think people still expected me to grow up and who wants to do that?) or at least grow out of comics. (NEVER!)

3. I read them mostly at home, no time to do it anywhere else and I know I can keep them safe at home free from the ignorant comic book handlers of the world. Sometimes they come with me when I know I'll be somewhere where I won't be doing much (like at my in-laws').

4) My wife does not read comics although she has tried reading a couple (when she's really, really, really bored). Sometimes I think she secretly wishes I would give them up (to save the money), but ultimately I think she thinks it's a cute hobby and supports it.

5) I had a couple of friends in university who used to read, both of my roommates and best friends still. One used to work at a comic shop, but was into comics more for their monetary value. My other best friend was an avid collector until his kids came along. Now that his son is ten, he's reading some again through him. Still, we talk comics a lot and I'm the only one he knows who collects Legion.

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Omni Craig:
[QUOTE]...Back in high school (Class of '85 rules!)

I knew there was something I liked about you Craig! [Smile]
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
What, that he's old, too??? [Wink] [Laugh Out Loud]

J/k!!! I was class of '89-- you guys were the seniors who made my freshmeat year a living HELL... [Mad] [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Not if you had gone to my school. My graduating class was all of 23 seniors. We had maybe 300 students if you counted the grade school across the street.

Have I ever mentioned I grew up in a small town in Nevada? [Big Grin]

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omni Craig
Advisor

Pov,

Don't make me kick your butt, junior. I'd hate to throw out my back or something... [Big Grin]

And don't hold the entire class of '85 accountable for your freshman-misery. My particular senior class at JFK high was rather a large group of underachivers. We lost spirit week to the junior class (the first time a senior class didn't win in recent memory). Our class president was suspended for having drugs in her locker and thrown out of office by the administration. Nobody replaced her, so the faculty selected the theme for our Senior Ball, and suddenly it was freakin' "Do you know where you are going to?" by Diana Ross. Yeah, that song was only a decade old by then...

More recently, I became really concerned about the level of education my class got. They held our first ever class reunion. Our 15th year. In 1999. Get your calculators, kids, because this is a test: If Craig's class graduated in 1985 and had a reunion in 1999, how many years have they been out of school? On the bright side, my 20 year reunion is coming due any day now. [Confused] [Frown] It's just sad...

In retrospect, I have determined if I had gotten involved in high school (politics, etc.) rather than reading comics and writing my own with a group of friends, I could've owned my school!!!!!! Ah, Hindsight Lad, where were you 20ish years ago?

--------------------
Craig C.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.