Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » What's Your Favorite Comic Strip? (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What's Your Favorite Comic Strip?
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by matlock:
quote:
Originally posted by Poverty Lad:
That's the one with the lithping kittycat, right? I love that one, too! [Love]

Yesh.
[Love] "Pink shock, pink shock!" [Love]
From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by matlock:
One of my favorites that hasn't been mentioned yet is "Mutts."

I love this one, too. It has an understated charm, like something from decades past.

I also love the things the artist slips into the Sunday pages, like tributes to obscure works of art or rock bands.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I guess my favorite comic strips would be the ones I've bought collections of...

***YOUNGER DAYS:

PEANUTS I had zillions of these books... I wish I still had 'em... charming stuff. Good grief!

FAMILY CIRCUS Had zillions of these too, but I don't miss 'em really.

GARFIELD I bought every book as it was released for YEARS...! There's just something about a cat who loves lasagna that I like!

***COLLEGE YEARS

BLOOM COUNTY was it on a stick. I try to reread the collections every few years.

OUTLAND was good too!

***POST-COLLEGE

THE FAR SIDE Who doesn't love this?

CALVIN & HOBBES I have all the collections and reread them at least every year or two.

DILBERT My most recent purchase (and even THAT was a couple years ago). May be time for a new one!

[ August 11, 2003, 10:58 PM: Message edited by: MLLASH ]

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suddenly Seymour
Don't feed the plant!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Suddenly Seymour   Author's Homepage   Email Suddenly Seymour         Edit/Delete Post     
Mutts is adorable. How could I forget that one? I especially love the Sunday strips. Our paper prints that intro panel that usually gets cut off. This week's was the Hulk. [Smile]

Eric

--------------------
Geek Watch

From: Standing beside you in Ferndale, MI | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I forgot I also have several of Matt Groening's LIFE IN HELL collections. Those are great!!!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
At the moment it's "9 Chickweed Lane," by Brooke McEldowney. Yes, I'd never heard of it, either, until I moved out here and started reading the Los Angeles Times. You can check out its Website, with the past 30 days' strips, here.

The sexy college-professor mother and high-school daughter at the core of it have rich fantasy lives -- as a female Tarzan and as Stupendous Girl, respectively -- and are wry, witty, and almost painfully observant of the human comedy around them.

It also has an omnipresent cat, shown off in wordless and hilarious vignettes about "Hallmarks of Felinity." (The title of two book collections McEldowney has made of his cat-focused episodes.)

Here's a sample ...

-

From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
Well, I seem to have zonked this topic cold ...

I have to wonder, anyway: Would this now be presumed to be off-topic? The forum is now no longer about "general comic books" (one could assume, all such sequential storytelling art) but specifically about "more action/adventure comic books."

From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
I like Boondocks, Get Fuzzy, For Better or For Worse, and Foxtrot. I get an occassional chuckle out of Doonesbury.

I also have gotten into Funky Winkerbean. Did you know that John Byrne filled in as artist for a bit? (It is back to Tom Batiuk. Byrne filled in when Batiuk was ill. Apparently they are friends)

Fond nostalgia for Bloom County and Calvin & Hobbes

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.