Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » A few good graphic novels

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A few good graphic novels
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Two, anyways, I read this week: Blankets by Craig Thompson. A brick of a book at 582 pages, but I read it in one-and-a-half sittings (had to walk the dog). Story of a young man, from about 3rd grade to early 20s, mostly adolescence - very touching story of being the outsider in a rural community. The feelings really come across well, in both the artwork and the text. Lots and lots of snow scenes!!

The second was No Pasaran! (volume 2) by Vittorio Giardino. For some reason, I haven't been able to get Volume 1 yet. A story of the Spanish Civil War with focus on the republican forces, it follows a group of reporters as they follow the troops. Gory war scenes mixed with romance, jealousy, fear and great bravery. Nice art, but everybody looks awfully clean and neat for living in trenches and forests for a few weeks.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
"God Loves, Man Kills" -- way back when the X-Men were genuinely exciting and Claremont was at his peak. It reads now like a normal X-comic, but back then it seemed as adult as "the Ultimates" does now. And this was before the moral debating about mutant rights got tired and repetitive.

"Dr Strange/ Dr Doom" -- quite possibly my favorite Doctor Doom story. Gorgeous Mignola art and a killer ending that was a big change in Doom's status quo.

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
More hard to find, but also good graphic novels:

Squadron Supreme (I forgot what the title was -- death of a universe maybe?)

Alien Legion: A Grey Day to Die. Alien Legion was the Dirty Dozen of comic books before Suicide Squad (though after Howling Commandos). Chock full of flawed characters, any of whom could die in any given issue. The graphic novel was no exception.

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.