Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Are there any heroes who disguise their sex? (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Are there any heroes who disguise their sex?
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
After the ProFem thread, I was trying to think if there were any women who were disguised as male superheroes or vice versa - it would be a great secret identity if you could pull it off with the right sort of costume - or body. I suppose guys might have trouble keeping the falsies in place.

Apart from Batman dressing up as an old crone a few times, I can't think of any, but I don't read that wide a selection of superhero books.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
Saquatch of Alpha Flight died and came back in Snowbird's body after HER death... Upon returning to human form, Walter discovered he was now "Wanda", much to Aurora's dismay! [Confused] [Laugh Out Loud]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
In the new Gaimen series 1602 (which is supposed to be in continuity) John Grey is obviously Jean. This is the only current one I can think of.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
According to an old issue of Amazing World of DC Comics, there was a hero called Madame Fatal, who was secretly a man, and whose adventures ran, briefly, in Crack Comics (I think), circa 1942.

One can imagine what concerned parents groups must have thought of Mr. Madame. [Evil]

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
And just think of the different meaning that Crack Comics would have in today's market.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Madame Fatal was Richard Stanton. First appearance was in Crack #1, May 1940. Was mentioned as deceased in JSA #1. Here's a peak:

-

He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Wow! LL, you are a man of amazing resouces.

That strip is so silly looking. Is he supposed to be an old lady? I guess that makes sense. Who would expect granny to deliver a donnybrook?

--------------------

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

I try.

You wouldn't suspect your grandmother of hitting you over the head with a cane would you? I wonder how they killed him off though.

And I just realized we missed an obvious inclusion. Although not a superhero what about the Composite Legionnaire? Would s/he count?

[ August 24, 2003, 03:09 PM: Message edited by: Lightning Lad ]

He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Another obvious one: Ayla as Lightning Lad in Adventure # 308.

--------------------

Sonnie
mere mortal

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonnie   Email Sonnie         Edit/Delete Post     
Wasn't there an episode of the original Dial H for Hero were the kid (whatever his name was....) turned into a character called something like Diamond Girl? I remember reading it at a very young age and finding it very odd!
From: home sweet home... unless i'm posting from work | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

D'oh! Ayla should have been the most obvious.

And Caroline just pointed out another one to me that some of you may not have heard of. A friend of ours is a writer/letterer/vice president for iHero Entertainment. They are publishing a new comic called Fishnet Angel who is known as the hard-luck goddess with the heart and soul of a heartbroken man. The comic's official site can be found here.

Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
I think it was in the "Whatever happened to..." Backup feature in DC Comic Presents that showed Dian Belmont taking up the role of the Sandman (and ending up dead)

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

quote:
Originally posted by Sonnie Boy:
Wasn't there an episode of the original Dial H for Hero were the kid (whatever his name was....) turned into a character called something like Diamond Girl? I remember reading it at a very young age and finding it very odd!

I remember Vicki Grant, after she turned evil, turning into a Diamond Girl, but not Chris King. If you want a list of all the heroes that have come from the 'H' dial (not counting the new series) go here for another list put together by the amazing John Censullo.
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Quislet, Esq:
I think it was in the "Whatever happened to..." Backup feature in DC Comic Presents that showed Dian Belmont taking up the role of the Sandman (and ending up dead)

I remember seeing it in an issue of All-Star Squadron as well.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Lightning Lad:
You wouldn't suspect your grandmother of hitting you over the head with a cane would you? I wonder how they killed him off though.

I don't think they've ever said. I had the idea it was natural causes.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.