Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » SPOILERS SPOILERS - JLA/AVENGERS #1 (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: SPOILERS SPOILERS - JLA/AVENGERS #1
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Picked up this book but other than back issues of Simonson's run on Thor and Coipel's issues of Avengers, I know NOTHING about Marvel. I suppose I am missing many of the
"in" jokes.

Who is Squadran Supreme? Are they as powerful as JLA members?

What't the problem with picking up the Hammer? I do remember something about only some could use it because on Simonson's run they created that alien Thor with the goofy name (escapes me now). Were only certain people strong enough to pick up the hammer or was it another personal quality that was required?

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
The Squadron Supreme group is supposed to be a Marvel rip-off of the JLA. I'm sending you over here for more answers. That thread deals with the latest comic version of the team.

As for the hammer, this is what is inscribed on it:

"Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of...Thor!"

In Marvel books only the following beings have been able to lift the hammer:

Eitri the Dwarf - he made the hammer
Enrakt the Enchanter - lived inside the hammer
Tiwaz - Thor's great-grandfather
Woden - Thor's son (I think this is also Dargo)
Wonder Woman - in her battle with Storm Diana picked up the hammer but did not use it
Odin - The All-Father
Captain America
Beta Ray Bill - The Alien Thor you spoke of
Eric Masterson - an architect who was Thor for awhile
Jake Olsen - an EMT who was also fused with Thor for a time

[ September 15, 2003, 09:22 AM: Message edited by: Lightning Lad ]

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks LL for the info on the Hammer and the link. This will make the story more enjoyable for me.
From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
You're welcome BB. Glad I could be of assistance.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Blockade Boy:
Who is Squadran Supreme? Are they as powerful as JLA members?

Interesting question. Considering that the Avengers will presumably have a harder time with the JLA than they did with the Squad, I'd guess no, but they were close from what I remember.

It'll be most interesting to see how JMS' Squadron might stack up against the JLA as well.

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Computo
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Computo   Email Computo         Edit/Delete Post     
Bevis wrote:
quote:
well I must be one the few people reading comics who isn't completely enamoured of George Perez. Now I think he's
good, don't get me wrong, but I don't think he's *that* good. My main complaint is the fact that almost everyone looks the same and they only have three or four facial expressions. There's the look of shock (which everyone has on the cover. Swap the hair and the outfits and most of the characters are pretty much interchangable facially), the slightly amused look, the happy look and the angry one and not much else. I'm being picky but it's something about his work that has always bugged me. He draws those expressions pretty well but more often than not that's all he draws.

I agree that Perez is weak on facial expressions. He does do great backgrounds though, and uses interesting angles.

Interesting cover to issue 2. Supes, even armed with Thor's hammer and Cap's shield, is taking a pounding from someone. I wonder who.

Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

quote:
Originally posted by Computo:

Interesting cover to issue 2. Supes, even armed with Thor's hammer and Cap's shield, is taking a pounding from someone. I wonder who.

My first impression was that he took the pounding getting those items. Your premise makes more sense. By this issue, I suppose there is a common enemy. Could be Supes was chosen as the one to use the items to take on the bad guy.
Computo
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Computo   Email Computo         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Blockade Boy:
quote:

My first impression was that he took the pounding getting those items. Your premise makes more sense. By this issue, I suppose there is a common enemy. Could be Supes was chosen as the one to use the items to take on the bad guy.
Your theory makes just as much sense - Cap's shield looks like it was blasted, possibly with Thor's lightning.
Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Your theory makes just as much sense - Cap's shield looks like it was blasted, possibly with Thor's lightning.

Honestly, I doubt Thor's lightning could do that to Cap's shield (maybe if Thor put some Odin power behind it, maybe).

I'll take a guess and guess that battle somehow involves the dozen ultimate weapons that the heroes are hunting for.

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Super Lad Kid
part-time lurker

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Super Lad Kid   Email Super Lad Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
Ummm, just taking a quick look at Supe's eyes. I don't think he's in complete control of himself. I'm thinking that Cap and Thor didn't give up those weapons willingly.
From: Michigan | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.