Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Thankful for Comics

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Thankful for Comics
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Over at Sequential Tart, there's an article in which different people talk about what they're thankful for vis-a-vis comics, this being Thanksgiving month in the USA. Sequential Tart - Thanksgiving Comics

They're mostly comics creators, so many of them are just happy that independent comics can exist, but some mention particular artists, writers, storylines.

So what are you thankful for in comics?

Of course, I'm thankful that the Legion is still going, with good stories and artwork and that we have this great message board to discuss it all.

I'm also thankful for my wonderful comic book store, Strange Adventures in Halifax, which has an amazing range of all sort of comics and a super staff!

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm thankful that I recently got a story I wrote published in a local comic book anthology. I'm also thankful to be part of a local organization of comics creators -- a wonderful source for feedback, networking and getting involved in projects.

As a reader, I'm thankful for JLA/AVENGERS, which reminded me just how exciting those heroes used to be and can be again, even after 30 years of reading their adventures.

I'm thankful for STRANGERS IN PARADISE, which is about the only comic book ever to break my heart -- twice.

I'm also thankful for LEGION, which, despite thin stories of late, keeps the Legion's legacy going every month, upholding tradition and sometimes exceeding expectations.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm thankful for the memories comics give me of my childhood. Archie and the gang being the first ones I can recall reading and I still pick up a Double Digest every now and then.

I'm thankful that I found the Legion and stuck with them for as long as I did. And I'm thankful that I found my way back to them when I did.

Most of all I'm thankful that the Legion and comics in general brought me to the internet. Without them I wouldn't have met any of you, a number of who I consider to be amongst my best friends now.

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by He Who Wanders:
I'm thankful that I recently got a story I wrote published in a local comic book anthology. I'm also thankful to be part of a local organization of comics creators -- a wonderful source for feedback, networking and getting involved in projects.

I'd also be thankful if you could post your story for us Greg. I'd love to see it. Heck, if any of the anthology is still available I'd like to buy a copy.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I don't know how to scan artwork or even own a scanner, but copies of the anthology, Show And Tell, can be purchased here: http://www.kcccn.com/anthologies.htm

My story is only five pages long, but I'm very proud of it. (Title: "Would You Like Fries With That Murder?") It was my first-ever collaboration with an artist, and it worked wonderfully!

The anthology consists of 220 pages featuring 63 KC-area creators -- a must-have for anyone who may be looking for someone to collaborate with, or just for fun. (My second shameless plug in as many days!)

And just to keep this on topic, I am very, very thankful for Mark Stinson, who published the anthology (and who will be collaborating with me on the second anthology), and to all of the creators within, many of whom I've gotten to know personally.

[ November 10, 2003, 09:23 AM: Message edited by: He Who Wanders ]

--------------------

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Well I just tried to order it a couple of different ways and either got a 404 error or it wouldn't add the book to the shopping cart. I've sent an e-mail to Mark to let him know of the error. It does look interesting and please let us know if you do get another story published in the second anthology.

Also, let me know if it would be permissible when I do get a copy to scan your story and share it with everyone here.

Stu
Time Trapper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stu   Email Stu         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm looking forward to seeing your story and all the other stories as well. And talk about a nice back cover! [Smile]
Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stu
Time Trapper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stu   Email Stu         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm thankful there aren't more comics out there. I barely have time to read the ones that are out currently. [Big Grin] [Wink]

[ November 10, 2003, 04:59 PM: Message edited by: STU ]

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

quote:
Originally posted by Lightning Lad:
Well I just tried to order it a couple of different ways and either got a 404 error or it wouldn't add the book to the shopping cart. I've sent an e-mail to Mark to let him know of the error. It does look interesting and please let us know if you do get another story published in the second anthology.

Also, let me know if it would be permissible when I do get a copy to scan your story and share it with everyone here.

I just heard from Mark and he acknowledged that the site's ordering system is out of order at the moment. He's promised to let me know as soon as its available again.

And you still need to let me know if it is okay to share it with the gang when I get my copy Greg.

He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Scott,

I would love to have my story on the site. I've e-mailed my collaborator to make sure it's okay with him, and am waiting for a response.

--------------------

He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

quote:
Originally posted by STU:
I'm thankful there aren't more comics out there. I barely have time to read the ones that are out currently. [Big Grin] [Wink]

Really. There are so many choices anymore. Oh, for the simple days when you had Marvel and DC, and that's it.
[Wink]

--------------------

profh0011
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for profh0011   Author's Homepage   Email profh0011         Edit/Delete Post     
I've had it many different ways. when I started reading comics, there were Charlton, Dell, Harvey, Archie, Gold Key, King, National & Marvel. And that was all before I discovered Warren!

Some of these fell by the wayside during the 70's, but the early 80's saw a healthy explosion of new companies with fresh ideas, including Eclipse, Pacific, AC, First, Comico, and one I NEVER suspected would still be here based on their initial offerings-- Dark Horse. As the decade went on, the number of companies CONTINUED to expand past any sense or ability for the market to sustain... I didn't so much mind when somebody started up to publish a title or two, but sometimes you'd have these tiny companies trying to make a splash in the market with a entire "line" all at once, and usually ending up with nothing.

There's a lot out there to enjoy... just find what you like and support it! The rest-- well, why buy what you don't, or no longer, like?

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.