Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Dark Horse's Conan the Barbarian (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Dark Horse's Conan the Barbarian
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
So Lardy's solid review gave me the push to try out the almost universally praised Wood / Cloonan Conan series and I'm glad I did! I grabbed the first three issues (the first arc) and was totally blown away by the high quality. It's now officially on my pull list, and I hope Cloonan is back more often than not.

While I'm familiar with Conan, my actual history with the character is limited to a handful of 70's Marvel stories. Yet he's iconic enough where I get the drift. What I immediately like is this is a younger Conan full of vim and vigor but apt to make mistakes. I also like the emphasis on the 'troublemaking' side of being a barbarian and a reaver.

But really, the major draw for me is the artwork is so damn good that it hurts. Cloonan just delivers page after page of beautiful scenes: swordfights, chases on horseback, adventure on the high seas, flashbacks to the frozen north, pirates...it goes on and on. And while the action sequences are to die for, the moody quieter moments are even better. The scenes between Conan and Bellit are so full of erotic tension that I was totally engrossed. That was freaking hot!

Colorist extraordinare Dave Stewart really enhances the mood and panoramic scenes with his finesse as well. The colors are subtle when needed and then so deep and lush at other times. Its rare when I stop mid page and consider just how damn good the colors are--and that's happened a few times already.

Writer Brian Wood delivers a tight, serious script that balances granduer and personal moments well. I'm told he does a great job taking Howard's story and adding his own touch, though I personally wouldn't know. I just know there is a fantastic rhythm in the comic that draws you right in. It's clear he and Cloonan have worked together before because they're like a well oiled machine.

Fantastic stuff! As usual Lardy, you didnt stare me wrong!

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
So I'm absolutely loving the Conan the Barbarian series! As I said, I'm only a very periphery fan of the franchise, so I'm sticking around for the totally fantastic creators working on the series. That starts with Brian Wood who has impressed me so much that I'm automatically in from now on when he develops a series. The writing is tight, exciting and just filled with awe & adventure. It's truly romantic in the classic 18th - 19th century sense.

The artwork has been nothing short of phenomenal. Becky Cloonan is a genuine revelation. And while she's on a hiatus with the series for the moment, I'm also loving the art by Vasilis Lolos. He had a gritty style that also is very kinetic, and works well with Wood's writing. And naturally, colorist Dave Stewart nails it.

This series is definitely giving me something I'm not getting elsewhere in comics. I'm thrilled I took the chance and am along for the ride!

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Viridis Lament
Cenobyte. Cthulhu. God.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Viridis Lament   Author's Homepage   Email Viridis Lament         Edit/Delete Post     
I just recently started buying comics again and Conan is one of the titles on my pull list.
I've collected it before so it was a bit of a no brainer to add it, but I'm happy the series is still really good.

And on a related note, has anyone been reading Red Sonya? Its on my list but I haven't recieved an issue yet.

From: Fort McMurray | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.