Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Rich Johnston returned from his maternity leave to Lying in the Gutters today and had a very interesting article about Alan Moore calling it quits with DC.

He has disassociated himself with the upcoming film version of V for Vendetta and said that any future tales of the League of Ordinary Gentlemen will be published through Top Shelf and Knockabout.

Read the full details in LitG.

[ August 19, 2009, 12:17 PM: Message edited by: Fat Cramer ]

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Good for Moore [Yes]

Do it for yourself and do it for Jack too, Alan.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm just glad he finished PROMETHEA before DC went and pissed him off... [Razz] [Wink]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah, good for him, but i gotta tell ya, he seems to have more and more of a prima donna complex.

I know, I know, creators have been screwed over before in the business, and i have no reason to think he hasn't been, or, honestly, any reason to think he has. But every time you turn around its some thing from him about how he has been dunn wrong. At some point it becomes background noise and you start forgetting why he was so sought after in the first place.

At least it seems that way to me.

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
A Black Dossier preview (4 pages) from Entertainment Weekly.

I'm not crazy about the artwork, but, as with LoEG, I get used to it as the story progresses.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
The latest LoEG graphic novel, "LoEG Century: 1910" came out this week, and I still haven't found words to describe it (I just deleted what would have been a long post) beyond "mixed emotions."

Maybe my lack of familiarity with "The Threepenny Opera" has something to do with it?

Could someone who is familiar with "The Threepenny Opera" please enlighten me?

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah, I was afraid of this one. I'm not that up on Early 20th Century literature, particularly "genre" literature, so I'm quite sure I'll be very lost when I pick this up later this week (delayed here at my shop).
From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bicycle Repair Man
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bicycle Repair Man   Email Bicycle Repair Man         Edit/Delete Post     
It's been a few years since I saw it, but I do remember there was a character named Jenny Diver, and her big song was "Pirate Jenny", her fantasy of becoming Queen of the Pirates. And of course there's MacHeath; the song he sings in his first scene is written to the tune of "Mack the Knife", and the mention of his ancestor is a reference to "The Beggars' Opera", on which "Threepenny Opera" is loosely based.

I thought the main story was decent, but I was really more intrigued by the text story. The first scene references a particularly famous piece of 20th century fantastic literature Click Here For A SpoilerOrlando visits the site of the First Monolith from "2001: A Space Odyssey", and her guide seems to be aware of the existence of the Second Monolith on the Moon. I'm looking forward to seeing where Moore goes with *that*; I'm assuming he is going *somewhere* with it because Click Here For A Spoilerif Century begins in 1910, it could end in 2010, and that was the year of the first sequel to "2001".

From: Monty Python's Flying Circus | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

quote:
Originally posted by Bicycle Repair Man:
It's been a few years since I saw it, but I do remember there was a character named Jenny Diver, and her big song was "Pirate Jenny", her fantasy of becoming Queen of the Pirates. And of course there's MacHeath; the song he sings in his first scene is written to the tune of "Mack the Knife", and the mention of his ancestor is a reference to "The Beggars' Opera", on which "Threepenny Opera" is loosely based.

I thought the main story was decent, but I was really more intrigued by the text story. The first scene references a particularly famous piece of 20th century fantastic literature Click Here For A SpoilerOrlando visits the site of the First Monolith from "2001: A Space Odyssey", and her guide seems to be aware of the existence of the Second Monolith on the Moon. I'm looking forward to seeing where Moore goes with *that*; I'm assuming he is going *somewhere* with it because Click Here For A Spoilerif Century begins in 1910, it could end in 2010, and that was the year of the first sequel to "2001".

Yeah I liked the "Moon" Text piece probably batter than the main feature. Following up on your observations, the whole reason that Prospero's sending them to the Moon is to prevent mankind from finding the other monolith until 2001, so there's definitely some play going on with them. The Golliwog is also apparently sitting on a fallen monolith during the briefing.
From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Thank you, Bicycle Repair Man.

I agree with BRM and Rouge that the text piece was better, but the lead story improved on second reading, much as LoEG: Black Dossier did (but the second LoEG arc didn't, IMO.)

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Raffles was a nice addition, being a particular favourite of mine. This latest volume was an easier read than The Black Dossier, which I still haven't finished.

On first reading, a lot of it was just the two songs; there didn't seem to be that much going on, and a fairly small cast of characters. As usual with this series, I have to consult Nevins' annotations, then reread the book to get the most out of it. (Having just gone through the annotations, I can see there's a lot of detail I missed.) I wonder if the succeeding volumes set in more contemporary times will be an less obscure.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
I wonder if the succeeding volumes set in more contemporary times will be an less obscure.

My guess is 'probably not'.
From what I've seen of his work, he likes things soupy.

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

I think with less and less in the public domain as he goes further on we'll be seeing a lot of creative dancing around characters identities like we did with "Jimmie" Bond and the future Mrs. Peel. Also, with so much Sci-Fi invading the middle part of the 20th Century, I imagine this things are going to get pretty wild.
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

What a marathon. I finally read Black Dossier, cover to cover. It made more sense to me after reading New Century and I actually enjoyed the different eras' accounts - mostly the Bertie Wooster story, although Jeeves was a bit out of character, showing annoyance.

For me, the book's story was sort of weakened by the sex. It wasn't so much a tale of a group of special agents as a series of romps and orgies through time. It's like every Howard Chaykin story has a blowjob, every LoEG story has people getting nekkid and naughty.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

Bicycle Repair Man
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bicycle Repair Man   Email Bicycle Repair Man         Edit/Delete Post     
The second issue of "LoEG: Century" was on the Diamond shipping list last week, but my shop didn't receive any copies. Has anyone here seen it?
From: Monty Python's Flying Circus | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.