Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
lil'rhino
I love everybody & you're next!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lil'rhino   Author's Homepage   Email lil'rhino         Edit/Delete Post     
Yes! I just finished it and loved it!!
Century:1969 opens with the "true" cause of Brian Jones death and just gets crazier & more psychedelic from there.
Mina is as fabulous as ever, but I really fell in love with the Orlando character.
Overall, the story seemed a bit rushed & could have been a bit longer, but Alan's great dialogue & Kevin's insanely detailed art made this a joy from start to finish.(although the ending was quite sad for one character)

From: elizabeth,nj | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
Didn't like 1969 too much. I missed a lot of the references (as I feared, Moore had to get cute with a lot of the names and leave a lot of contrived clues for other references), but more irksome was that the story was a bit of a snooze. Never was a fan of Alan, but he comes off even more pathetic here, and Mina's issues with immortality would have been better served if Moore didn't hit us over the head with it every second page. I expected more nuance and subtlety, but found this oen a little ham-fisted.

Art was great as usual, but rendering a lot of 20th century characters in O'Neil's style wasn't as seamless as with 19th century characters, and with copyright I don't know how you get around that. For example, take Andy Cap and his wife, how are identifiable by his cap, but aren't even good caricatures of those characters.

From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bicycle Repair Man
Deputy

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Bicycle Repair Man   Email Bicycle Repair Man         Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks for confirming that the book shipped, guys.
My shop's reorder was filled this week, and I picked up my copy today. I hope to make time to read it soon, but between work and rehearsals I'm currently fairly busy.

--------------------
"Gee, Brainy, what do you want to do tonight?"
"The same thing we do every night, Bouncing Boy: try to take over the United Planets!!"
They're B.B. and The Brain ...

From: Monty Python's Flying Circus | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I liked it quite a bit, as I've enjoyed seeing Moore move his characters through the decades and seeing them change and adjust. It did feel quite sad at times though which I know Moore intended, reflecting the sadness of 'what could have been?' when the love & peace movement went horribly and permanently off track.

I felt really bad for Alan, knowing it was coming and I felt bad for Mina throughout. Unlike Orlando, they haven't adjusted to being immortal. Can Alan and Mina live happily ever after if ever after literally is forever? It's a question that is rarely dealt with. You can tell by page five or so that they are bored and annoyed with one another. Yet anyone in a relationship 10+ years can relate to that feeling which comes and goes. One can only imagine what 90+ years is like.

There were tons and tons of references I didn't get or missed all together but it will be fun to find them online.

O'Neal's art is spectacular. He really captures the notion of free-spirited sexuality here, which is a sharp contrast to the more subtle and repressed sexuality of the Victorian era.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Just read it. I love Orlando, especially the way he plays off against stuffy (or stuffier) Alan. But it all falls apart without Mina's strength and focus.

Wasn't it a vibrant book? All those colours - what a change after Black Dossier! Then so sad to see the quick flash forward to 2011 and the dark eight-years-later pages. Maybe the Stones really were in league with dark forces and we can blame everything on them.

Lots of missed references here too, but I don't think it disrupted the flow of the story.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Late to the party, but I enjoyed it much more than the previous installment. Being a fan of late-20th Century English culture, I did get a lot of the references.

quote:
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
Maybe the Stones really were in league with dark forces and we can blame everything on them.

LOL [LOL]

Good one, FC.

We can certainly blame them for a lot of horrible pseudo-boogie and pseudo-garage rock. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Good news:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/06/11/league-of-extraordinary-gentlemen-century-2009-out-in-a-week/

--------------------

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Can't wait! I'm actually pumped to see O'Neal take on modern times!
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Now that you mention it, he's spent most of his career drawing either the past or the future, hasn't he?

--------------------

Faraway Lad
Senator of the UP. Permanent Ambassador to the Court of Saint James

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Faraway Lad   Email Faraway Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Got it fresh out of the delivery box today. [Big Grin]

Initial thoughts are this one is much better than 1969, which I didn’t enjoy.

Lots of references I need to re-read to work out fully.

Click Here For A SpoilerLoved the appearance of God as Mary Poppins

--------------------
Faithfull

From: Newcastle upon Tyne England | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

A little better than last outing, and I'll have to give it a closer re-reading, but I didn't find this volume measured up to past volumes (I'd consider Black Dossier a part of this volume, especially with how heavily it's referenced in 2009). There was a lot to like, from the Harry Potter/Mary Poppins stuff, to a lot of the posters, and the bit with Roger Moore and Daniel Craig, but plot-wise it just didn't do anything. Possibly because the remaining cast are my least favourite of the series (I've never liked Alan or Orlando, and Mina's grown stale for me). Yes it's still fun to grab the references, but it's just not as fresh or engaging as Vol. 1 & 2 were. Hopefully if/when they come back to it, they'll shake things up a bit.
From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

One thing I've always hoped was in the wings was the League teaming up with Sherlock Holmes...who faked his own death. It seemed like the hints were there all along, or maybe I just read into it, that this was going to happen. Thus, he'd have died and "come back" a second time.

Haven't read 2009 yet, but can't wait!

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Hackett:
A little better than last outing, and I'll have to give it a closer re-reading, but I didn't find this volume measured up to past volumes...

That about sums it up for me too. I did like it, and am certainly glad I bought it, but perhaps I was expecting just a bit more.

The Harry Potter stuff was great, as was the Mary Poppins bit. The James Bond references were also pretty great--both the overt ones and the subtle ones.

Click Here For A SpoilerOne thing I really didn't particularly like was Alan's death, and the way he basically took toxic piss in the face. That kind of seemed a bit too much. I know Moore was at this point being totally over the top and hitting us over the head with a hammer about what he was saying about the modern era's obsession with sex and the like, but it still felt like a pretty awful way for Alan to die.

I liked Orlando here more than usual, and this took a few steps to redeem the character for me. He/she isn't my favorite.

Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Oh yeah....

http://www.bleedingcool.com/forums/front-page-comic-news/62165-nemo-heart-ice-alan-moore-kevin-oneill-february-cover-description.html

the Hermit
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the Hermit   Author's Homepage   Email the Hermit         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Hackett:
Oh yeah....

http://www.bleedingcool.com/forums/front-page-comic-news/62165-nemo-heart-ice-alan-moore-kevin-oneill-february-cover-description.html

This would have been a lot more readable if all the apostrophes didn't display as question marks on my computer

--------------------
First comic books ever bought: A DC four-for-47-cents grab bag that included Adventure #331. Been addicted ever since.

From: Stuck in the Psychedelic Era | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.