Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Batwoman (Kate Kane) (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Batwoman (Kate Kane)
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
I *knew* I was going to love this series... but I didn't realize just how MUCH until it actually got into my hands! Beautiful artwork is a given, but the story and characterwork is top-notch... and I'm only on issue #2! This is easily my favorite of the Nu52 titles. [Love]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
The way Kate treats Bette reminds me of why the original TEEN TITANS got together. The fact that they're cousins (I keep thinking of them as aunt and niece...) makes it all sad.

So Batwoman's going to be the Gotham character that *really* wants to be on her own. Meaning no team-ups, joining a team, etc. Which, of course, indicates that she *should* be forced into uncomfortable team-ups and drafted onto a team. For her sake, I hope she hooks up with some 'lighter' characters (though probably not in this book, since its atmosphere and tone really doesn't need to be broadened at the moment.)

I both like and dislike the appearance of Mr. Bones in the title. I always enjoy reading him, but I definitely think that if there's no JSA on this Earth, there should be no Mr. Bones either. Cameron Chase, though, has no such obstacle to my gladness at seeing her on the page. I hope she sticks around as supporting cast, or perhaps goes on to hector other DC heroes.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
Batwoman is one of, oh hell, it is THE best book that DC has out right now.

The artwork and the writing are a demonstration that J.H. Williams is pouring his heart and soul out into this book, and he's having help along the way with his co-writer, so, to me, he's giving equal attention to the script and the panels.

It would figure that ex Teen Titans are actually being handled better in books that don't have the word Titan in its title with Bette Kane. Which is both a good and a sad thing. Reading Kate lay into Bette is a reminder that Bette has had it luckier than most teen superheroes. She's not brooding, dark or depressed. Bette started out as a Robin fangirl who put on a costume to get his attention, but when Dick (as Nightwing) tried to tell her she doesn't have what it takes as a hero even if her heart is in the right place, Bette just decided to take things more seriously as Flamebird without becoming "x-treme".

You can't help but no be both awed by Kate Kane and want to give her a hug when you realize just how much she's had to endure and loss, while she hasn't reached the fridge. Kate's lost her mother and her twin sisters (twice), she was kicked out of West Point for admitting her homosexuality and not backing down, wandering aimlessly for a while until she realized she could serve under a different symbol. She's gone through some bad relationships and she's cut off contact with her father for lying to her, and now to protect her cousin she's had to present herself as an extreme control freak and really hit below the belt.

What did Kate do when she was kicked out of West Point? She became a party girl while looking for some direction.

What did she do when she discovered Alice was her sister? Cut her dad from her life and carry on as Batwoman.

What did she do when cut Bette out? She found solace in Maggie Sawyer.

Kate realizes all the sacrifices she's had to made for her duty and the people she cares about, but she's persevered. And when the weight finally hit her, instead of giving up she turned to her girlfriend for a shoulder to cry on.

Batwoman is a strong female character who has her shortcomings and her weaknesses like everyone else. She's soldiered on and she's made some sacrifices for the greater good, and whether or not those sacrifices will have been worth it we still have to see. She has not yet shattered, she has not become grim and brooding like so many other heroes DC has broken over the years, and she still has people she can turn to when the weight of everything brings her down.

This book has magnificent writing, beautiful artwork, a horrific villain and a growing supporting cast, and emotion.

God bless J.H. Williams and W. Haden Blackman.

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
Yikes! Things took a dark and horrifying turn in issue #4. I'm hoping for a good outcome, but not feeling much optimism.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
How in the world is it possible that Dick Grayson's contemporaries appear to be limited to Jason Todd, Roy Harper, Bette Kane and Starfire? I'll bet that's why Bette's in a coma. DC probably will leave her in one in the hopes we all forget about her.
From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
The fact that Bette was going to be in this series is the only reason I picked it up, and quite frankly the treatment of her was why I dropped it. I had high hopes, but should kown better.

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
After #7, I've come to the conclusion my love affair with this series, and Kate Kane, is fading. I found myself putting off reading it and then really not enjoying it when I did. It's hard to explain why, since I was so over the top all about it a few months ago.

I guess it's a few things:

- the ultra violence, when taken in conjunction with the rest of the DCnU, is distracting and disheartening. Hands ripped off, blood spilling out of eyes and mouths...its annoying.

- the set up of working for the DEO. I'm so over protagonists working for spy agency set ups at this point. The Chase plotline was exciting but now it's gone somewhere predictable.

- the treatment of Bette, though I think it's leading somewhere for Bette down the road.

- the villains / enemies. I'm realizing I'm not all that interested in remembering why they're so bad.

I'm a big fan of Amy Reeder but reports on the recent tensions between her and Williams III reveal what's obvious on the page. They are not clicking.

I don't know. A lot of DC series are losing me each month as I'm feeling like I just don't care. I expect Batwoman to be a top series and when it's not, I'm disappointed.

[ April 11, 2012, 08:13 AM: Message edited by: Cobalt Kid ]

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
I miss the good old days when you didn't actually have to see someone disemboweled to get the idea that bad guys are, well, bad.

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
This book got some good responses early on. Some of the enthusiasm seems to have worn off. I'm still totally in love with Kate, the lush art, and complex women in this book. The team up with Wonder Woman running through current issues is really good. Kate and Diana are moving from cautiously working together to developing a deep respect for one another. I hope to see a lot more of them together in the future.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
I thought this month's issue was absolutely gorgeous.

I still espouse Batwoman is one of the few consistently good books DC has out there right now, and I'm glad Kate isn't being involved with the Joker story because other than the symbol and Bette, Kate really doesn't have anything to do with the Bat Family and I think it should stay that way.

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay Kay
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Kay   Email Jay Kay         Edit/Delete Post     
Personally, I think it's one of the worst books at DC right now--GORGEOUS art covering up for what's quickly become slow, plodding, mundane, hackneyed, and tired writing. I would KILL to see a new writer take charge of this book, so we can actually have Kate do something fun and interesting for the first time since Rucka left the book.
From: Arizona | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Jay Kay:
Personally, I think it's one of the worst books at DC right now--GORGEOUS art covering up for what's quickly become slow, plodding, mundane, hackneyed, and tired writing. I would KILL to see a new writer take charge of this book, so we can actually have Kate do something fun and interesting for the first time since Rucka left the book.

Let's not leave out how flat-out confusing it's been with the crappy execution of the nonlinear storytelling method they used, especially on the last arc. Yep, the secret ingredient missing from Batwoman is Greg Rucka. It's a shame DC had to go and piss him off.....

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
I posted elsewhere I dropped it for about 10 issues because JH Williams never draws on it anymore ... and then picked it up when he drew an issue ... and it seemed at the same point as when I left it!

[No]

Besides ... IMO ... Its fairly redundant with Batgirl ... and I didn't like how they threw the original Batgirl (Bette) under the bus to make Kate look better and have some motivation.

Which is really too bad because this was one of the DC Reboot books I most anticipated ... along with Batgirl.

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Lard Lad:
quote:
Originally posted by Jay Kay:

Let's not leave out how flat-out confusing it's been with the crappy execution of the nonlinear storytelling method they used, especially on the last arc. Yep, the secret ingredient missing from Batwoman is Greg Rucka. It's a shame DC had to go and piss him off.....
Which means I will probably love it on a single sitting reread. "Non-linear" never seems to go well in a monthly. "plodding" has unfortunately been a fit word for a several of my post 52 pick-ups, most of which I dropped by now.
From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I dropped it awhile back. It just didn't have enough good for me to overcome all the tired writing. I probably collected it three issues longer than I really wanted to because I really wanted to keep following Kate Kane. But it wasn't enough.

Flash suffers from the same problem though its a little better. Phenomenal art & craftsmanship; slow writing with not enough 'oomph'.

Ps - agree that Rucka was the secret ingredient. At the end of the day I'm more interested in following him than Kate.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.