Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Marvel's New Universe imprint

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Marvel's New Universe imprint
RED-001
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RED-001   Email RED-001         Edit/Delete Post     
Anyone remember this ill-fated line of comics? It was conceived by Jim Shooter in 1986 and lasted until 1989. [Wink]

Here are some titles that might be familiar to any of you---

Codename:Spitfire(formerly Spitfire and the Troubleshooters)
DP7(Displaced Paranormals)
Justice
Kickers,Inc.
Marc Hazzard-MERC
Nightmask
PSI-Force
The Star Brand

According to a Wikipedia article,this was to be a distinctly separate world,fully divorced from the mainstream Marvel Universe,consisting of its own continuing characters and stories in a more realistic setting. There would be no aliens or hidden races,gods or mythological beings,magic, or supertechnology. Superhuman characters and powers would be limited,and thus more subdued in their activities,yet their actions would have realistic consequences.

New Universe was created during the 25th Anniversary of Marvel. [Cool]

Any other New Universe facts you have,just leave a post! [Smile]

[ December 01, 2012, 01:53 AM: Message edited by: Reboot ]

Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matthew E
Suprmetrician

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matthew E   Author's Homepage   Email Matthew E         Edit/Delete Post     
I remember it. I got the first few issues of DP7 and Psi-Force. Don't remember much about Psi-Force, but I can still list all the members of DP7:

Antibody
Mastodon
Viva
Friction
Twilight
Blur
Scuzz

--------------------
Legion Abstract

From: Ontario | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
I picked up a couple issues of Nightmask, Starbrand, Psi-Force and DP7, but the only one I actually stuck with was "Justice" (must've been that mullet). I'll certainly see where Ellis goes with it.

ComicBookResources has an interesting article:
New Universal

As a side note, if not for the New Universe, I may not have discovered the Legion. Why? Because it was in "Justice" that I first saw Keith Giffen's art and that's what made me pick up my first LSH issue, the OYL reboot #1.

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaim Mattis Keller
Legion-Reference-File Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chaim Mattis Keller   Email Chaim Mattis Keller         Edit/Delete Post     
I was on board with "New Universe" from the beginning, collecting Star Brand, Spitfire, Nightmask and Justice, then, when the line was trimmed to four books, I bought all four.

Nightmask was a great book but ahead of its time.

When Peter David took over Justice, he made it FANTASTIC. The last issue of that title, BTW, was my first ROFL from Peter David's work. In it, one of the characters tells another the following joke:

A man knocks on the door of a house, and says, "I'm sorry to tell you this, ma'am, but I think I ran over your cat."

"Are you sure it's mine?" asks the lady. "What did it look like?"

"It looked like this," the man says (joke teller sticks out tongue and moved hands into "zombie" position to indicate mangled dead cat).

"No, no," the lady says, "what did it look like before you hit it?"

"Oh," replies the man, "it looked like this" (joke teller holds hands up with look of pop-eyed, screaming fright on his face).

It was a funny enough joke in and of itself. Then, at a later point in the story during which those characters are captured by the villain, and he's "monologging" to them (to borrow a term from the Incredibles), those characters make the faces at one another and laugh together. The villain is standing there, sputtering, "Don't laugh! I'm talking to you!"

--------------------
Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com

From: New York, NY, USA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omni Craig
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Omni Craig   Email Omni Craig         Edit/Delete Post     
DP7 was always my favorite, but I'm a sucker for team books. I wanted to like StarBrand, but I am not a fan of Romita so that made it a hard pill to swallow.

I hated when they had Quasar visit their universe though. What happened to "separate" realities? I think he used the StarBrand's power to get home.

--------------------
Craig C.

- Time travel stories are told in chronillogical order.

From: Santa Ana, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lancesrealm
amiable

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lancesrealm   Email lancesrealm         Edit/Delete Post     
I was a big DP7 fan too. It is a real shame such a great concept got exiled to limbo. Ah well...
From: Cincinnati | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaim Mattis Keller

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chaim Mattis Keller   Email Chaim Mattis Keller         Edit/Delete Post     
DP7 never really appealed to me, too much like an X-Men clone.

--------------------
Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com

From: New York, NY, USA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Intriguing.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
Seems like whenever Marvel does flirt with the New Universe, it's all Star Brand-this and Star Brand-that.

As a huge fan of D.P. 7 and Psi-Force, I end up shrugging and skipping it.

I was also a big fan of Strikeforce Moritori, which launched around the same time, IIRC, but wasn't part of the New Universe, being in it's own third continuity...

The announcement almost makes it sound like Marvel about to have their own Crisis. [Smile]

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
Any New Universe treatment almost always has to be Starbrand-centered. It was the reason for pretty much everything (except maybe Kickers, Inc. [Wink] ) From the looks of it, they're just bringing back some NU concepts rather than the actual characters (judging by Nightmask's appearance), which would be a shame.

Definitely sounds like Marvel's "Crisis." When's the Shadowline gonna pop up? I could use me some Dr. Zero ...

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.