Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Hellblazer (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Hellblazer
kidflash2fan
could be rabid

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kidflash2fan   Author's Homepage   Email kidflash2fan         Edit/Delete Post     
i think i want to read this book but i haven't really heard any one talk about it is it worth picking up and is it in graphic novel form??

[ December 23, 2011, 11:37 AM: Message edited by: Reboot ]

--------------------
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

i do commissions

From: ny | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
I've been following Hellblazer since its inception (well, before, actually, since the main character first popped up in Swamp Thing).

In my opinion, the best Hellblazer stories were the Garth Ennis run, which are mostly (if not completely) out in GNs these days.

This thread should actually be over in Dr. Gym'll's; that's the forum for non-Legion comics. I'm gonig to ask the moderaters to move this thread.

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
I've had an on again off again affair with John Constantine over the years ...

Right now, IT'S ON!

I'm really enjoying his latest story arc where his *coat* is his antagonist! It's kind of humorous but it's done pretty well and I'm also enjoying the people that have been introduced into the book, John's getting some friends ... and some regular guest stars that flush out the book.

Also, I'm a big fan of Camuncoli's art, he does sexy and dark really well. Over the course of the series, I always thought Hellblazer's art was hit or miss. Camuncoli, i think, is a great fit for Hellblazer, he does the inherent gore but it's a bit cartoony and stylized to make it less disturbing.

(Camuncoli previously did Dark Wolverine which I followed a bit after he left but the writing as well as the art just went haywire.)

With the matte pages of the comic book, it feels and smells a bit different than the magazine texture comics ... it seems more like paper, it's even heavier!

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
I've been placing reviews over in the Vertigo thread (http://www.legionworld.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=000266;p=22). It's been an excellent run, with Milligan actually progressing John's character and having him go through a mid-life crisis as he ages. When you've spent your whole life confronting evil and death, you never expect to make it into your fifties. So what happens when you do and you find yourself alone? Can even John Constantine find happiness? It's been a fascinating take on the character.
From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
It is really interesting how, marrying off John is progressive and *new* ... also it's great to see John's life catch up with him. (not in a good way but in a profound way) His niece has been a target and now hates him, his sister is in hell etc.

not sure how i feel about epiphany so far, she seems a bit more normal than they've tried to make her out, also i keep thinking she's gonna die soon.

I'll check out the Vertigo thread!

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
What issue did Milligan's recent run start? Hellblazer is one of those comics I like to read in trades and even out of order.
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Milligan started in full at Issue #251 (he had a short story in the over-sized #250, which set up the run, but wasn't necessary to it).

Trades so far:

- Scab
- Hooked
- India
- Bloody Carnations
- Phantom Pains

From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Hellbalzer # 287 - A good start to the next arc, as John descends into Hell to find his lost sister and runs into an old adversary. Some nice character work as John is overcome by his guilt, and being out of his element in Hell, more emotional and rattled than he would be otherwise. Now that John has more than ever to live for with Ephiphany, will that make him that much more vulnerable in the face of the enemies lining up against him down below. Excited to see where this goes.
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Coincidently I've just read India ... where John tries to resurrect a lost love, Epiphany underfoot all the way.

I enjoyed 287, especially the part where Epiphany criticized the plot saying John's niece needed to grow the f up!

I am also enjoying the bizarre evolution of the romance(?) between the neice and the dad ... it's so weird to me ... and within a book with so many demons, and characters going to hell ... it's this romance that unsettles me! [Wink]

i know it's only the beginning of the arc but i can't wait for the end, i contemplated waiting for the trade at the store to be able to read the whole thing in one sitting.

Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Hellblazer #288 has John make a risky wager with the First of the Fallen, in an attempt to get his sister back. While John wins the wager, FoF only really uses it as leverage to get at other aspects of John's life. I liked how this issue played out, with John's poor judgement and hubris carrying him through, all while you can see the noose tightening. This is going to have a very messy outcome I believe.
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

I picked up a gap in my recent Constantine history:

Phantom Pains ... It comes in between the marriage of Epiphany and John and the evil trench coat story arc. The gut wrenching plot involves Gemma trying to kill John because she didn't realize the John that assaulted her was an evil twin. Realistically, even after she finds this out, she still blames John.

Anyway, great fun, not as good as the story lines that came before or after IMO but ... its nice to see Epiphany shine in this arc, She gets a bit more of the limelight in Phantom Pains and shows us why John luvs her.

while I usually rave about Camuncoli, it's Simon Bisley's art that makes me feel neurotic and dirty with his gritty two issues: High-Frequency Man, and Inside.

I read a review online some time ago, and sadly I can't remember where ... to give credit where credit is due. it contained a great quote that summed up Milligan's writing of John Constantine. It went something like:

"John Constantine is more believable than most people I know."

Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Hellblazer #292 Simon Bisley drawing Werewolves? Yes, Please!
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

So I guess dc really doesn't want my money. Bummer news

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/11/08/dc-cancels-its-longest-running-series-hellblazer-and-replaces-it-with-new-52-title-constantine/

Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

NOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

COME ON!!!! This is one of the best books out there! And I can't imagine it will be anything the same once it travels to the DC Universe.

No More Epiphany because Constantine is in star crossed love affair with Zatanna. No more completely fleshed out cast of characters ... including Epiphany's father.

uuuuuggghh.

GRRR!

what is the point of john constantine now ... they steal him because he's cool and popular and then ... shit all over his appeal .

Conjure Lass
And then there was steak!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Conjure Lass   Email Conjure Lass         Edit/Delete Post     
...they're...what? OMGOD, NO. No, NO, NO!!!

WHY WOULD THEY...I DON'T...

There are not words for my disappointment. I mean, it's been around for decades, just the way it is, for a reason!! WHY WOULD THEY??

ARRRRGGGGG.

From: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.