Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » New Suicide Squad mini-series by Ostrander

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New Suicide Squad mini-series by Ostrander
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I searched for a previous thread but couldn't find one. Sorry if there is!

Anyone reading this?

ITS EXCELLENT. Really, I mean excellent. The current Suicide Squad mini is as good as the original 80's Squad by Ostrander, and by good, I mean *those first twenty five issues good*.

Issue #5 just came out and its all coming together. Man, I forgot how good Ostrander is...the tension is mounting with each panel, and each character has multitudes of motivation, characterization and flaws/tragedy. And the cast is huge!

HIGHLY, HIGHLY, reccomended!

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I've been reading it, but I'm not quite as enthusiastic about it as you. It's really a nostalgia trip, but I'm glad that somebody at DC realized that if they're gonna do a Suicide Squad nostalgia trip, they really should bring back the guy who wrote the book back in the day. Ostrander is as good a craftsman as ever (remarkable in an industry that leaves its creators burned out,) but...I haven't posted anything about it until now because it's what I call a "sleeper" -- a book that hits all the right notes but doesn't quite thrill me.

The most recent issue, though, has just about soured me on the whole thing. They bring in one of my favorite DC character, Windfall, only to reveal that while she was off the radar and away at college, she was gang-raped by fratboys and then she killed the rapists.* This is the sort of thing DC has been doing a lot in the past few years, and it really bothers me. Because of that, I haven't decided yet if I'm going to finish out this Suicide Squad mini-series.

*And the editor of Suicide Squad is a woman. [No]

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
BIG Ostrander fan here. Who couldn't be that read his Spectre.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll give my comics guy a call to gather the back issues.

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
BB, also a huge Ostrander fan, and also a big fan of his Spectre run. In fact, I'd say its probably his greatest run on a comic, and that's high praise since I think so highly of his writing.

Stealth, I also think its unfortunate that Windfall now has suffered that abuse. It was an unneccssary addition.

I'm really loving the inclusion of King Faraday here, who I loved in New Frontier.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
I read the first two issues and loved it. I am going to read them all when the mini is done.
From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
So they just had to add insult to injury where Windfall is concerned. [Mad]

Click Here For A SpoilerShe's melted to death by Chemo's toxic vomit.

I'd like to think that Ostrander's not to blame, that the orders came down from Dan the Didiot.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.