Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » HULK (Page 4)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: HULK
profh0011
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for profh0011   Author's Homepage   Email profh0011         Edit/Delete Post     
I finally polished off the misc. "Hulk Reprints" page last night. Now I'm back on the reprint "compare" pages.

These early HULK stories got no respect!

When reprinted, HULK #1 was serialized over 4 different comics...

MARVEL TALES #1 (1964)
MCIC #14
MCIC #15
MCIC #16

But then HULK #2 was serialized over 3 comics...

MCIC #8
MCIC #9
MCIC #10

Look at those numbers. WHY did they do The Toad Men BEFORE the bulk of the Origin issue?

Ironically, HULK #3 was reprinted before most of these...

HULK paperback (1966)

...perhaps because the 2nd of 3 short episodes in it was a 3-page retelling of the origin. That 3-pager has actually been reprinted several times since then without the rest of the issue!

HULK #4-5 had short stories, each reprinted separately...

MCIC #4
MCIC #5
MCIC #6
MCIC #7

HULK #6, a full-lengther, was broken into 3 installments...

MCIC #11
MCIC #12
MCIC #13

These stories were not collected together until the 1978 paperback, but in there, all the pages were SHRUNKEN down to paperback size, making it next-to-impossible to read it or appreciate the art.

So they weren't reprinted "properly" until the 1988 MARVEL MASTERWORKS Vol.8, which, as with all the early Masterworks, had dodgy reproduction.

I have the 2003 HULK MASTERWORKS Vol.1. Not sure if it was much of an improvement, but most of it doesn't look bad.

I kinda like the cover on the 2010 TPB version though...

http://www.samcci.nostromo.no/hulk/HULK%20Mast%2001%20TPB%202010.jpg

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
profh0011
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for profh0011   Author's Homepage   Email profh0011         Edit/Delete Post     
The latest restoration! HERB TRIMPE & JOHN SEVERIN!!

http://www.samcci.nostromo.no/hulk/HULK%20150.jpg

profh0011
Applicant

The latest restoration!

HERB TRIMPE & SAL TRAPANI!

http://www.samcci.nostromo.no/hulk/HULK%20161.jpg

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Reboot:
Rulk #25-26

Yeeeeahhh. This ain't workin'.

Basically, what we've got here is the new writer going "Okay Loeb, you had your pet character go round beating everyone up? Well now I'm going to have him BEATEN up by all those characters!" Seriously - Thor's written as if he were Hercules, which is bad enough, but to have the Watcher show up to take revenge at the end [in typically passive-aggressive fashion] is just too much.

Jeff Parker, I'm disappointed in you.

A few issues ago, Reboot correctly mentioned that thus far some of what Jeff Parker and Gabriel Hardman are doing just feels wrong, in that the Red Hulk seems to be getting his ass kicked every issue, almost as retribution for the way Loeb had him beating up everyone at the start of his title, which is seriously taking away from what helped establish the Red Hulk in the first place. So regardless of the story-telling within, that looms heavy in any review of the latest issues, where this continues somewhat (in #27 by Namor).

That being said, I do think Parker is doing a good job with the story so far—in terms of pure story-telling, he does a great job. I personally would prefer this plot of the Leader & Modok’s failsafe plans wrap up pretty quickly because I’m getting a little bored of it, but maybe that is the case once this A-Bomb / Monster Island arc wraps. I’m ready for the next phase of the Red Hulk.

I also think Hardman is a terrific artist and I loved his work on Agents of Atlas; I’m just not convinced yet he’s the right guy for Red Hullk. I feel like the artist should be larger than life, much like how Paul Pelletier is drawing the regular Hulk in IH, and Hardman doesn’t quite do that. It should be a bit more explosive to parallel the Red Hulk’s personality.

This is a good series by all means, but I can’t help but feel it should be better than it is.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I also caught up on four issues of Incredible Hulks (jeez, where have I been?) as the Dark Son story wrapped up and the Chaos War tie-in issues began. Overall, I think this series is *very* good right now and I’m enjoying it immensely. Greg Pak really has a great handle on the Hulk, Bruce Banner and all of the other cast members, which there are a lot. He’s been writing the Hulk long enough now—and consistently good enough—where I think he may soon reach PAD’s level as one of the great Hulk writers (I can’t really think of any other writer other than PAD who surpasses him to be honest).

The Dark Son story-arc was actually quite good, and I really love the mythology that Pak has built up around the Hulk, Skarr and Hiro-Kala over the last few years. This finally brought Hiro-Kala into the mix with the rest of the Hulk-family and it provided tons of tension, action and gave a pretty good resolution to Hiro-Kala’s status at the end (since he did murder tons and tons of people after all). I also like that Pak isn’t sugar-coating it; the Hulk & Bruce are pretty upset about losing a son and they should be, even if they hardly knew him. More than anything, this helps move the Hulk / Skarr relationship to the next phase, which I’m more curious about than ever.

The Hulk/Bruce/Betty/Red She-Hulk relationship also benefitted as a result as the tensions there continue to evolve and keep me as interested as ever. The supporting cast (well, they are more other members of the team now) add a little extra to the series in their own way and I like the entire premise of the series right now.

The art on the Dark Son storyline was by Barry Kitson but by the series end he was only doing breakdowns and it kind of shows. Various pencilers and inkers were helping out so I can’t quite tell who drew what but some panels of the fifth and sixth parts of the story for some reason really looked like George Perez (his most recent style).

The next two issues had the Incredible Hulks getting involved in the Chaos War story and actually—this story is quite good! It’s certainly the best Chaos War-related material Marvel has put out that I’ve read. Paul Pelletier comes back, joined by inker Danny Miki and IMO, they may be the single best art team in comics right now! Seriously, the art just jumps off the page and is as dynamic and exciting as I’ve ever seen. It’s just fantastic!

Pak also does a nice job calling back some major Hulk plotlines to make the Chaos War tie-in mean something. First, the Abomination is a natural add-in, since his history with Betty (killing her to be precise) makes for all kinds of drama. He also finds a great way for Marlo to be an essential part of the series and she’s been sorely missed. Dr. Strange’s usage is great, and recalling Zom, particularly after the awesome battle between Hulk and Zom in World War Hulk #4, is another great callback to recent years. All of this is just great stuff and the characters reacting to it, while interacting with one another, provides some really great drama and tightly written action.

Pak then takes things to the next level completely: Jarella, Glenn Talbot and Hiriom show back up (love that Hiriom was included), as well as Doc Samson; Abomination then brings in Bruce’s mother—whaaaat?!! Wow! And then, the kicker of all kickers, Bruce’s father shows up, which big time Hulk fans know is a huge deal. I actually never thought they’d go there, but this story provides an incredible way to do it, especially after the Hulk was just partially responsible for the fate of Hiro-Kala. Pak is just taking things to a whole new level on this series!

The excitement of Incredible Hulks is just hard to beat. It may be my favorite Marvel title and is certainly IMO a candidate for Marvel’s best comic. Every issue has tension, drama, action, subplots, character interaction, and more, all balanced perfectly. High Recommendation!

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Pak's run on Incredible Hulks is ending on a strong note (and truthfully it's never not been strong). We get the best Tyrannus story probably ever and now an awesome, more fun story featuring Monica Rappinuci (sp?--Scorpion's mom, Bi-Beast, Wendigo and others.

The artwork is consistently fantastic. After an awesome Tom Grummet story, Paul Pelletier is back to remind me why he may just be my current favorite artist.

Love having Amadeus in tow and I love how Pak writes Betty / RSH's relationship with Bruce / Hulk.

Really, only PAD's Hulk has ever been this good.

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Hulk #36 - actually made Zzaxx cool. Impressive, Jeff Parker.
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
Pak's run on Incredible Hulks is ending on a strong note (and truthfully it's never not been strong).

Two words: "Dark Son".

And this week's issue is a bit... "really? No, REALLY?!" [Quite aside from anything else, Dr. Strange is *standing right there* and the word "Clea" never enters anyone's mind?!]

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Are you enjoying "Hulk" by Parker anymore than you were? It's been very hit or miss for me, with more misses than I'd hoped. The Zzaxx issue was fun but the previous few weren't doing it for me. I'm having trouble figuring out why I'm not enjoying it as much as I want to. It may be because they just aren't 'unleashing' Red Hulk as much as they should.
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
I've not really been bothering with Rulk any more, TBH. I've glanced at a few issues (is Rulk actually falling for Ms. "Yes, I. Am. A. Ro-Bot?"), but not been following it to any major degree.

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

With #635, Greg Pak’s run on Incredible Hulks comes to an end after over (5) years of being ‘the man’ in the Hulk world. To get my feelings on it, one only need look at the past few pages full of praise from myself and others to see how high we regard this run. I consider one of the best Hulk runs ever, now tying the legendary Peter David run in terms of quality. Like PAD’s run, not every moment was brilliant, but for the most part, this was truly fantastic.

What helped make it so great was Pak’s willingness to embrace “the new”; there was no dwelling on the past as he forged forward and created new worlds and new characters. Yet, throughout the run, he was obviously influenced by decades of Hulk continuity and history, as aspects made their way into the series both big and small. For major Hulk fans, that was always a nice touch.

This final arc had a serious underlying theme about the Hulk and Betty, yet it was much less serious than the previous arcs and had a certain sense of fun. Pak utilized a variety of classic Hulk foes as well as some new ones, ranging from Tyrannus to Bi-Beast to Monica Rappaccini. With Rick, She-Hulk, Betty (Red She-Hulk), Dr. Strange, Amadeus Cho and Dr. Di Cosimo (the latter from Hercules like Cho) along, it made it even more fun. All of these characters combined for an action-packed fun story that felt more like a nice sorbet to cleanse the palette after the major Earth-shattering stories preceding it. I liked that quite a bit.

Pak had some phenomenal artists throughout the run but my absolute favorite was Paul Pelletier, who is now doing the very best work of his career. He is *the* Hulk artist to me in a way that only Dale Keown has ever achieved. He’ll really be missed here and I hope he’s utilized somewhere really well like Avengers (or maybe he can help get the X-Men back into gear again). Pelletier is usually aided by inker Danny Miki who brings out the best in his pencils and the two make a terrific team. Miki has a thick line that adds some ‘oomph’ to the pages.

This was really a fantastic run in all of the various incarnations Pak wrote the Hulk. I’m going to miss it.

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

For reasons I can’t quite put my finger on, I’m struggling to maintain my enjoyment of Red Hulk. It’s well written, well drawn and features tons of new characters and concepts, yet something feels like its missing. Reboot alluded earlier in the thread to the idea that they are kind of holding back Rulkie and not really letting him tear apart the MU anymore; I’m thinking that must be the answer because each issue I get slightly more bored with it all.

Hardman provides some beautiful artwork, though it may not be suited for the Red Hulk. It just isn’t explosive enough; in my mind, an artist like Paul Pelletier or Dale Keown is what is needed on a title like this.

Jeff Parker is a great writer, and he’s done a good job developing some new enemies for Red Hulk like Zero/One and Black Fog, while also utilizing Modok very well. But his usage of General Ross just isn’t getting me excited.

Something needs to be done for this comic. It’s a great comic that I feel bad complaining about, but it needs a little kick in the ass.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.