Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » The Rocketeer / Remebering Dave Stevens (1955-2008)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Rocketeer / Remebering Dave Stevens (1955-2008)
RED-001
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RED-001   Email RED-001         Edit/Delete Post     
About three weeks ago comicdom lost another talented artist-Dave Stevens,creator of the Rocketeer and illustrator of "good girl" art,lost a long battle with leukemia. [Frown]

It should be known that he did a series of illustrations of Bettie Page and was surprised to not only find her alive but she lived nearby!

For more info on Dave and his life and works go to:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Stevens

[ June 29, 2011, 10:37 AM: Message edited by: Cobalt Kid ]

Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
So IDW has launched The Rocketeer Adventures a four issue mini that is a collection of short stories by some of the industry's best creators, doing the incredible Dave Steven's character the Rocketeer. This goes along with IDW offering really beautiful looking collections of the original Rocketeer work. I also think some of the proceeds go to charity.

I though the first issue of the miniseries was mind-blowingly terrific! Just really fantastic stuff, with great stories by Mike Allred, Kurt Busiek & Mike Kaluta and John Cassady. Even the pin-ups, like the one by Mike Mignola were fantastic.

All three stories were really good and each artist delivered with their well known, eye-pleasing styles while using Steven's characters. This included many, but the focus is of course on the Rocketeer himself and Betty, who was drawn beautifully by all three. Like Stevens, the obvious Betty Page references used by them just made her a delight to see on every page. All three stories were actually complete stories, and each one had its own charm.

I can't wait for Darwyn Cooke next issue!

It's been awhile since a comic left me feeling like I totally got more than I paid for.

Highly recommended! Wish it was an ongoing!

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

With #4, the Rocketeer anthology miniseries comes to an end by IDW and I'm sorry to see it go. I hope they do another soon or even make it an ongoing. Each issue has been totally unique and terrific, a great tribute to Dave Stevens by showcasing his great creation with stories of the highest caliber. 

#4 included stories by Dave Gibbon, Tony Harris and John Arcudi, each one in a different time period of the late 30's / early 40's. As with prior stories they capture perfectly the fun sense of awe Stevens developed as a great tribute to fiction of that era. The Rocketeer, Betty and the rest of the cast were represented in full.

Each story was 8 pages yet felt jam-packed. *This* is the blueprint for how you do an anthology.

I think readers not familiar with the Rocketeer would enjoy these immensely as well.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Those of you who have not checked out the Rocketeer are doing yourself a serious disservice. The two anthology volumes were absolutely terrific and a who's who of the industry's best doing great short stories. And now The Rocketeer and the Cargo of Doom is a full miniseries that is hitting all the right beats, quickly proving to be one of the best series out right now.

The creative team is possibly the best team in comics right now, as proven by their work on Daredevil: Mark Waid and Chris Samnee. Waid is undergoing perhaps his best era ever in comics (and that's says a LOT) and he is showcasing the art of telling a damn good, exciting character driven story. He's doing it in DD and he's doing it here. Meanwhile, Samnee's art is masterful, a mixture of excitement and pleasing aesthetic, falling squarely in the Martin / Pullido / Cooke / Sale school that is my favorite artistic movement in comics these last few years.

I love that the series is totally fresh and new, yet firmly embraces the pulpy roots that Stevens established for the character. The nods to Doc Savage and King Kong are subtle yet welcome--well not so subtle for King Kong as of the end of #2! A direct connection to Skull Island's dinosaur population opens the door for the too-awesome-for-words concept of the Rocketeer battling a tyrannosaurus in #3.

Waid & Samnee also smartly combine the classic Rocketeer cast (Cliff / Betty / Peevy) with some new characters in Sally (Peevy's niece with a huge crush on Cliff) and Earl (at first adversarial to Cliff and then revealed to be a man of integrity).

This is not just for those who like retro. It is totally modern in its storytelling. This is damn good comics--everyone will enjoy this.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.