Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Milesstone and Archie heroes going to DCU proper (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Milesstone and Archie heroes going to DCU proper
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
I would be interested in the Archie heroes published by Archie. "Integrated into the DCU" Archie heroes hold absolutely zero interest for me.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah, it's gotten to the point where integration into the DCU is a major minus for any concept or character these days, including the Captain Marvel franchise or Freedom Fighters, let alone the Archie heroes.
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Seriously... DC and the comics industry as a whole would probably be better off if someone else bought up about half their properties.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
The fact that these characters were being integrated into DCU was a big turn-off for me. I picked up the one shots, which I thought were good. Building upon what Nightcrawler said, these characters have a history, just not a DCU history.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
For whatever reason, this worked a lot better with the Charlton characters. Maybe because it didn't seem so forced. Or maybe the DCU didn't seem as crowded then.
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
Actually I disagree with them not being in the DCU. I think they can work in a shared universe just like the Quality and Fawcett characters.

The problem is the same as with the Impact! version of the characters (which was separate from the DCU but failed just as much). Instead of continuing their adventures or introducing legacy characters based on the the original characters, DC decided to reboot them.

A concept that never works as we all well know. If they kept the history intact, then they might have had a chance at integrating better.

Further, they should have introduced a new Crusaders series. Team books usually fare better as they attract a more diverse audience.

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
I actually liked the first two issues of the Black Hood series. They're the only ones I have of that series, but they're the only issues of Impact I've fully read.

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Hmm... I don't think reboots are necessarily a problem, particularly with properties that have lain fallow for awhile. It seems to me it would be even more of a mess if they tried to shoehorn the past Archie hero stories as things that happened in the DCU.
Eryk Davis Ester

quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
I would be interested in the Archie heroes published by Archie. "Integrated into the DCU" Archie heroes hold absolutely zero interest for me.

For Archie Comics, a Return to Superheroes...

Trying to all-digital route, it seems...

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I'd actually be interested in the non-DCU Archies heroes but I don't do digital comics.
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
The relatively recent DC relaunch of The Web seemed interesting, but I don't recall the rest of the Archie super-heroes seeming that intriguing.

I was kind of surprised how many super-characters they had (scroll way the heck down!), what with the Mighty Crusaders and all.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

So I read New Crusaders #1. Not bad, but also a story that it feels like I've read plenty of times before.

Still, I'm interested enough to see where it goes from here.

Eryk Davis Ester

Three issues in and I'm still finding this comic enjoyable, but not definitely not anything mind-blowing. Still, it's a pretty solid "kids stepping in to fill the legacies of their super-hero parents" story.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.