Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » What are some of the personality aspects and quirks YOU see in Superman? (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What are some of the personality aspects and quirks YOU see in Superman?
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
There have been many Superman(s) over the decades: many versions, many reboots, many voices.

But really, in the group conscience of American pop culture, there is only one Superman.

So who is he in your mind? What are some personality quirks? Brief sentences and half-finished thoughts acceptable; so are paragraph long pontifications.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

#1 - Good natured humor - Superman, in my mind, gets jokes and is amused by them. Likes when people kid around with him. Loves Jimmy Olsen for this above all other qualities. And he isn't above playing a trick on someone. But he's not a dick. He's not mean, cruel or hurtful. He's fun and good-natured.

#2 - He's somewhat fatherly - that doesn't mean he needs to be a father, or need to be even older than his early 30's. But he's fatherly in that, well, he knows what needs to be done, can protect you, and within him rests the ultimate authority to make moral decisions for, well, the entire universe. He's the father figure to Jimmy, to children around the world, and also to the other heroes of the DC universe with some exceptions (Batman, for one; the JSA for some others). Of course Lois doesn't see him this way. But Perry White is a possible father-figure to him.

[ February 24, 2010, 12:23 PM: Message edited by: Cobalt Kid ]

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doublechinner
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doublechinner   Email doublechinner         Edit/Delete Post     
#3 - Quiet confidence. There's always a way. He doesn't mope, he doesn't whine, he doesn't complain. Even when he is daunted and quiet, he's always working on a solution, rather than indulging self pity. This is paired with

#4 - Humility. His confidence NEVER metastasizes into arrogance, vainglory, bravado, grandiosity. I always think of the final scene in Superman: The Movie, when he says to the warden, "Don't thank me, we're all part of the same team. Good night."

--------------------
...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"

From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
I agree strongly with everything thus far. I actively dislike attempts to "humanize" him, as it seems to me that there should always be something a little godlike about him (or at least demigod like). That's not to say he has to be perfect, but even his mistakes should have a kind of mythic quality about them, if that makes any sense. He should always be someone the reader should aspire to be, rather than someone the reader could identify with in the way that one could with, say, Spiderman.

His biggest fear, it seems to me, should be the possibility of Earth suffering the same fate as Krypton. There should definitely be a sense of the crusader about him. While forgiving of humanity's flaws, he should be pained by them. One of his biggest concerns should be striking the balance between serving as a symbol of what humanity could be, while avoiding simply imposing his own will upon the human race.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
Very much agree with what EDE said. Spiderman is meant to be the everyman who got powers. Superman has, for decades now, been more of a messianic figure. Not born of this earth, come down from the heavens, walking among us, but never truly one of us.

I've always seen him as somewhat distant. It could come across as patronizing, or even arrogant, so someone who is threatened by him, but it's not arrogance, it's pretty much *fact.* He doesn't think of himself as 'the alpha male,' because that sort of competitive thinking hardly even occurs to him (because, honestly, he's rarely had anyone to compete *with,* and when he has, visiting with Mon-El, he's never seemed competitive or in any way threatened by the presence of those with powers equal to his own) but he actually *is* the alpha male, for the whole planet.

That sort of behavior is perhaps why he's not a huge fan of Captain Atom, who has similar power levels, and yet also throws his authority around and bosses people around.

If there is anyone in the DC universe that is even *more* laid-back about the power he wields, it's Captain Marvel.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

#8 (kinda [Big Grin] ) - and this one relates directly to Set's "distant" personality trait, but something I think is different enough to warrant its own distinction: Superman is lonely. And there is something of a sadness about that. But I don't mean lonely in the sense that he's all alone in this world with no one to talk to--because that's not true either. Superman has always had some level of romance, mostly with Lois but he’s had no small amount of beautiful and personality-attractive women after him; he’s always had some level of camaraderie with others such as Batman, Pete Ross and the Legion; and he’s always had his parents, Perry White and others who he not only respects but has a personal connection to. But despite all that, he is still very much different and at various times he feels alone. That doesn’t mean he’s sad all the time, or mopey or feels sorry for himself—exactly the opposite in fact. But perhaps that makes it all more tragic and all the more heroic. Because at the end of the day, Superman is alone.

Also, I totally agree with EDE and Set about the difference between Spider-Man and Superman. Attempts to humanize Superman are something that I dislike also.

doublechinner
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doublechinner   Email doublechinner         Edit/Delete Post     
#9 Scientific -- Morrison pegged this beautifully in All-Star Supes. Supes is the son of a scientist, and he has an inclination to observe, understand and appreciate the universe on its terms. This in part accounts for his ability to exist on earth with humans in a stable equilibrium -- he isn't constantly intervening on every little thing. As EDE says, he strikes the right balance on when to help, and his dispassionate, scientific qualities help him do that.

#10 Humanistic -- By this I mean that NO ONE believes more in the potential of humanity than Superman. Partly it stems from his upbringing with the Kents, partly his experience with the Legion where he sees the potential of humanity fulfilled, partly it's his optimism and confidence. Rather than looking down on humans because of his superiority, he realizes the positive role he can play in unlocking the best in humanity. His humanism does NOT make him gullible, or a pollyanna. But his confidence and optimism, combined with his humanism, spur on his crusade for justice, which is an essential component of a humane civilization.

[ December 11, 2008, 08:31 PM: Message edited by: doublechinner ]

--------------------
...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"

From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Absolutely agree on the scientific aspect 100%. Its such an important part of Superman since the 1950's. Of all the aspects the Atomic Age added to the Superman mythos (of which there are NUMEROUS), this is the most important.
doublechinner
Active

In terms of quirks

#11 -- Let's face it, Supes is a packrat. Yes, he follows that Aussie guy's advice and gives his mementos a place of "onah" in the Fortress, and it's really remarkable stuff, but it is a LOT of stuff! In my experience, people who are packrats have often suffered some serious dislocation, uncertainty and loss in their lives. Do you think his loss of Krypton, of the Kents, of the dream of a "normal" life from childhood, would lead him to obsessive trophy collecting? Does he do it for himself, or is there in fact an element of narcissism in it? Does he keep his mementos so that his deeds will be remembered by others?

#12 -- The biggest quirk of all, Clark Kent. Yes, in his childhood, the bumbling Clark persona is essential to preserve the privacy of the Kents. But after Ma and Pa have died, after Clark is old enough to live on his own and make his own choices, why continue the charade? I think Maggin, in one of his Superman novels, had the bad guy suggest it was some sort of fetish on Superman's part. At a minimum, Superman is pulling off an enormous joke on Clark's friends and colleagues. Morrison's All-Star Supes clearly viewed Clark as a separate, beloved persona, something more than a disguise. Maggin seemed to have the same view. The best I can say about the Clark persona is that a) having been raised by the Kents, he is USED to living as a human, and in order to continue that, he needs a persona to preserve his privacy. His humility, his scientific approach, his humanism all push him to stay at ground level with humanity. His desire to help but not distort human history forces him to humble himself in the Clark persona. All in all, it's a fascinating quirk.

--------------------

Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
The first thing that came to my mind is lonely. He's one of a kind, the top guy and he has always felt he had to sacrifice his own desires for the good of his adopted planet. I never really got that same sense from J'onn J'onnz, who was the last of his race.

I do sort of think of him as being like Pascal's God, who knows when every sparrow falls. Superman is as likely to rush off and save a kid about to be run over by a car as he is to fight some galactic menace. He has taken the weight of the world on his shoulders.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Okay, here’s another:

#13 - Lois Lane is the great love of Superman’s life – And I think this one probably goes without saying, but its more complex than that, and encompasses a few things. First, I don’t think Superman needs to be married to Lois; and in fact, that was probably a bad idea, mainly because it eliminates the whole love triangle-really two people notion, but that’s not what I’m talking about here (and I don’t even know if I believe that’s essential enough to the Superman mythos). But I do think that Lois is indeed Superman’s one great true love and any notions otherwise ring false. That’s not to say there can’t be other women with interests in Superman: Lori Lemaris is a great character, I always wished Superboy at least explored a possible few dates with Luornu, and there are various others. I actually actively dislike the idea of Wonder Woman & Superman having a romantic interlude / flirtation – I think it rings incredibly flat. I also think its important that Lana Lang is the first true love of Clark Kent, and I am all for an adult Lana being a part of the Superman series. But it will always come back to Lois. And that is because, quite simply, Lois Lane is one of the greatest characters ever introduced in comics, and probably the #1 greatest supporting cast member in the history of the medium. For Superman to fall in love with Lois, he sees in her all of the greatest aspects of humanity. Most endearing is her never-ending search for truth & justice; her confidence; her aggressive and pushy behavior where she isn’t willing to back down for anyone or anything, and when the writers get it right—her genuine care for others. You’ll note that ‘when writers get it right’, because so often writers get Lois wrong. And nothing is more annoying than a Superman story where Lois comes off as a shrew, or annoying element with no other purpose than to hamper Superman. Lois is an asset in every way: to the Daily Planet, to her kid sister Lucy, and to both Clark and Superman especially. The character she’s most like in comics? Batman. Which is probably the same reason Superman is drawn to that type of personality. Both Lois and Batman are equally as effective as Superman at times without all of his powers. Lois, as a comic book character, is inherently drawn very attractive (and she should be, she’s a major character and love interest in a comic book after all [Smile] ), but it also says a lot that she is generally never drawn to be slutty, skanky, etc. Because her personality should come across as extremely attractive: a combination of sexy, beautiful and cute. She’s Superman girlfriend, after all.

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

I also think a major part of the difference between Superman and Batman's mythologies is that there is no counter part for Lois with Batman. He simply does not have one. There is no 'great love of Batman's life'; sure, he has had several great loves, but none on the level of Superman and Lois. In fact, not having a Lois Lane type has pretty much become a major part of who Batman is now too--to give him one would be a bad move over time, because it assuredly will not last.
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
#14- Just as Lois represents the potential for good in human beings, Luthor represents their potential for evil and self-destruction, and he is many ways Superman's opposite. He should be completely amoral and egoistic, with absolutely no principles beyond the fulfilment of his own desires. Like Superman, he is a scientist, but he's not motivated to be a scientist out of interest in truth, but out of interest for power... the ability to manipulate nature for his own purposes. Just as there is something divine about Supers, there should be something demonic about Luthor, in the sense of "Screwtape Letters"-style demonic. He should be charming, manipulative, with a distorted view of the world that nonetheless has some attraction to those who fall under his spell. His threat to Superman represents more a challenge of character than a physical threat... he wants to corrupt and demoralize Supes by forcing him to violate his principles more than anything else.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doublechinner
Active

Great stuff! I'm intrigued by the juxtaposition of the alone/solitary/lonely quality and the Lois Lane one true love quality. Not that they are contradictory -- Supes wouldn't be the first guy to have a great love but still remain somewhat apart, which I think is the truth. Some couples become almost a composite entity, some have no real connection at all or a negative one. Supes and Lois are that fascinating variety where they completely love each other and support each other but remain completely distinct, autonomous personalities, without the jealousy and resentment such an arrangement usually engenders.

EDE has Luthor dead to rights. And, to take it to its conclusion, what Luthor may secretly want is for Supes to violate his principles by killing Luthor himself. And what Supes ultimately wants is Luthor redeemed, or at least self-aware if his real motivations and shortcomings.

--------------------

cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
I have read little Superman fanfic, but one of the ones I have read made the point that Superman might actually resent people's misconception of him as "the big Boy Scout." Since there's that whole thing where he fights for truth, he'd want people to know the truth about his own failures-- no matter how awful it was to admit failure.

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.