Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » News From The Cons (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: News From The Cons
Igee The Mighty
Legion Lover

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Igee The Mighty   Author's Homepage   Email Igee The Mighty         Edit/Delete Post     
CBR News
The Comic Wire

SAN DIEGO, DAY FOUR: CHAYKIN, WILLINGHAM, SIMONE ON JLA
by Beau Yarbrough, Staff Writer
Posted: July 21, 2003

In other superteam news, look for the Legion of Super-Heroes to be more closely tied into the rest of the DC Universe in 2004, although Carlin wouldn't give out details in the absence of that book's creative team.

Good thing or bad thing...?

--------------------
Igee The Mighty!

From: Manila, The Philippines | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Bad thing. DC has always tried to establish closer ties between the Legion and the modern DCU with mixed results. Arguably the worst example was the "Team 20" arc, in which half the team was stranded in the 20th century for more than a year.

Of course, it's important to remember that the Legion started as a spin-off from Superboy, so the Legion should never be totally divorced from the rest of the DCU. But with Ra's al Ghul and ersatz versions of the JLA and Darkseid having appeared recently, I think I've had my fill of DCU ties in the Legion for awhile.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Star Boy
Cat Clan Commander

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Star Boy   Email Star Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Provided we don't enter Crossover Hell, I think anything that improves the wider profile of the Legion cannot be a bad thing.

Unless creative controls were given to Liefeld or someone... [Wink]

--------------------
Wayne@OZ

From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I would think this would mean the addition of Kon El to the team that's been talked about. I sure wish DnA would have shown up like was scheduled. I wonder what happened that they didn't?
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the boy with UltraPowers
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the boy with UltraPowers   Author's Homepage   Email the boy with UltraPowers         Edit/Delete Post     
i think if the stories are done well it's okay !!

probably the reason the TITLE doesn't do as well, is because it is the ONLY title on it's own ....

back in the 80's we still had SUPERBOY and SUPERGIRL and though they didn't appear all the time, we still had that link !!

Matthew.

From: Manchester United Kingdom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reep
Resigned

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reep           Edit/Delete Post     
Bad thing. I've always felt there should be limited Legion connections to the rest of DCU. Rarely are these crossovers worth the price of admission, and they never do anything for Legion. Just marketing gimmicks, rarely done well. Wasted issues IMO.

Remember Team 20? Bet you wish you didn't.

Kon-el? Geez, and we just got rid of the snake. Now we get this 'tweener? What for, a boyfriend for Lori?

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tromium
Decrystallized

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tromium           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm reserving judgment on this one. The "more closely tied" no doubt refers in part to Kon-El joining the Legion, but it may refer as well to Kal-El. Having read Teen Titans #1 the possibility occurred to me that Kon will be inspired to join the Legion by Superman himself. (Note: Kal and Kon are pretty close these days, with Kon living with the Kents under the name Connor Kent, though he's having a hard time adjusting). Perhaps Superman will reveal to Kon the story of a visit made to Smallville decades earlier by three young superheroes from the future (see panels at Arune's site). New-continuity Kal was not ready/willing/able to join them at the time, but will encourage the troubled Kon to find his destiny in the 31st century, with the promise of an occasional visit to check up on his protégé.

If done with intelligence and a nod of reverence to the pre-crisis past, I might be able to live with a scenario like that. Kon is still something of a jerk, but he seems to be on the verge of a major attitude adjustment.

[ July 23, 2003, 03:07 PM: Message edited by: Tromium Crystal ]

From: Reimagined Trom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the boy with UltraPowers
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the boy with UltraPowers   Author's Homepage   Email the boy with UltraPowers         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Tromium Crystal:
I'm reserving judgment on this one. The "more closely tied" no doubt refers in part to Kon-El joining the Legion, but it may refer as well to Kal-El. Having read Teen Titans #1 the possibility occurred to me that Kon will be inspired to join the Legion by Superman himself. (Note: Kal and Kon are pretty close these days, with Kon living with the Kents under the name Connor Kent, though he's having a hard time adjusting). Perhaps Superman will reveal to Kon the story of a visit made to Smallville decades earlier by three young superheroes from the future (see panels at Arune's site). New-continuity Kal was not ready/willing/able to join them at the time, but will encourage the troubled Kon to find his destiny in the 31st century, with the promise of an occasional visit to check up on his protégé.

If done with intelligence and a nod of reverence to the pre-crisis past, I might be able to live with a scenario like that. Kon is still something of a jerk, but he seems to be on the verge of a major attitude adjustment.

that was very well put !! i agree with everything you said !!

Matthew.

From: Manchester United Kingdom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
This is kinda one of those times when opinions do not seem to matter. The poll said put Clone-El in Titans, not Legion. More than generally, every Legion board indicates a preference for a disconnected present and future.

This is a marketing driven decision. Doesn't sound like a good start. DnA are good and may pull it off, but what about the next writers?

Would the team be any different than a team from a technically advanced planet in the present? What becomes of those things that make Legion unique?

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Blockade Boy:

Would the team be any different than a team from a technically advanced planet in the present? What becomes of those things that make Legion unique?

In the past, the Legion stories were very Earth-centric, they themselves were based on Earth, we had Earth presidents, etc. ...with Legion World, the idea of a 31st century Earth has receded. They could be anywhere.

It was this Earth of the future connection which distinguished them, in my mind, from a 20th century advanced race or mutant team book.

I'm not keen on an active connection between the centuries. We could still have references to historical events and superheroes of the past, without actually itnermingling the two times. We may need a Campaign to Keep the Future in the Future.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I don't see that happening. DC doesn't want to quit using Superboy as a character but cancelled him comic and his team comic. Maybe Paul Levitz has something to do with this. Could be he sees it as a way of bringing more attention to the Legion and convinced the creators of both Teen Titans and The Legion it would be best for all. Just not necessarily best for us, the fans.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the boy with UltraPowers
Active

i suppose what we have to remember is this is a BUSINESS !!! and whatever choices are made are usually are the ones that will generate the money .....

if comics are still around in another 20 years or so, they'll all have been rebooted AGAIN to suit the audience of that day !!!

JAMES BOND has been featured in movies for 40 years now, and to compare "Dr No" to "Die Another Day" would be silly !!!

there's a 40 year gap between them, but the core essence of the characters are still there, it's just had to change with the current market !!!

THE LEGION and the rest of the comic industry cannot be any different ....

Matthew.

Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
My only problem with it was that their DCU ties were what destroyed the Legion in the pre-boot. Their strongest tie was Superboy, and when TPTB agreed to retcon Superboy out of existence, all of the Legion retcons began to try to fill in the gaps in Legion history that this left. With every retcon the fragile continuity broke down more and more, until things were so bad that a reboot was the only way out.

But that's what DC does. It retcons something, and doesn't seem to care what that does to the rest of their line. And then, when someone fixes something (or puts a patch on it) to tie up a loose end that a retcon leaves, they can't leave well enough alone. They patch and repatch the hole until its become such a mess that no one knows what the heck is going on.

That's what happened to Donna Troy. They retconned Wonder Woman, and then Marv and George reworked her origin to make that work. Then John Byrne came along and added his fix, which worked against what M & G did. Then Jay Faerber did his spin on it. By the time everyone was done, no one could figure out who the hell she was.

Say what you want about Marvel, but I rarely (if ever) see them doing this.

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the boy with UltraPowers
Active

quote:
Originally posted by Princess Crujectra:
My only problem with it was that their DCU ties were what destroyed the Legion in the pre-boot. Their strongest tie was Superboy, and when TPTB agreed to retcon Superboy out of existence, all of the Legion retcons began to try to fill in the gaps in Legion history that this left. With every retcon the fragile continuity broke down more and more, until things were so bad that a reboot was the only way out.

But that's what DC does. It retcons something, and doesn't seem to care what that does to the rest of their line. And then, when someone fixes something (or puts a patch on it) to tie up a loose end that a retcon leaves, they can't leave well enough alone. They patch and repatch the hole until its become such a mess that no one knows what the heck is going on.

That's what happened to Donna Troy. They retconned Wonder Woman, and then Marv and George reworked her origin to make that work. Then John Byrne came along and added his fix, which worked against what M & G did. Then Jay Faerber did his spin on it. By the time everyone was done, no one could figure out who the hell she was.

i don't think they'll ever get it right !!!

the damage has been done, and as you put it .... anything that comes after will always be a PATCH UP job !!!

BATMAN is about the only major DC character not to have had a major origin/history change !!!

why is that ....

Matthew.

Lightning Lad
Founder

quote:
Originally posted by Princess Crujectra:

No, they do it worse. They just let the histories of their characters get more convuluted as time passes. Take the most recent tweak to the origin of Nightcrawler. Now he is only 19 years old and his father is a demon. So that makes him around 14 when he joined the X-Men. DC sure isn't right about what they do but at least they do try to stay consistent. The only consistency I've found in Marvel lately is to stick with the Ultimate line where there is no old history to worry about.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.