Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » News From The Cons (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: News From The Cons
Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Lightning Lad:
Take the most recent tweak to the origin of Nightcrawler. Now he is only 19 years old and his father is a demon. So that makes him around 14 when he joined the X-Men.

Really? Wow... that really is lame. I wonder, does that make Amanda Sefton a child molestor, then? She was a stewardess when she and Kurt started dating, and unless the airlines hire pre-teens, then she was at least 18, and dating a 14 year old.

Well, I guess I'll have to rethink my opinion of Marvel and retcons [Wink]

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Princess Crujectra:
quote:
Originally posted by Lightning Lad:
Take the most recent tweak to the origin of Nightcrawler. Now he is only 19 years old and his father is a demon. So that makes him around 14 when he joined the X-Men.

Really? Wow... that really is lame. I wonder, does that make Amanda Sefton a child molestor, then? She was a stewardess when she and Kurt started dating, and unless the airlines hire pre-teens, then she was at least 18, and dating a 14 year old.

Well, I guess I'll have to rethink my opinion of Marvel and retcons [Wink]

Eww! I hadn't even thought of that. My immediate thought was this makes Kitty older than Kurt and makes Logan an accessory to underage drinking.

That's one of the problems I have with Marvel. They don't retcon very well. They have more conflicted origins than DC but at least DC rebooted their universe to try and make them fit.

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Prime
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Prime           Edit/Delete Post     
Nightcrawler is 19???

Oh COME ON. That means he was seeing Amanda Sefton when he was, what? 15? Leading Excalibur at age 16-17? And he's like younger than Kitty Pryde. JUBILEE's age.

Whatever. Marvel is a joke.

--------------------
White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.

From: Birmingham, AL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Prime
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Prime           Edit/Delete Post     
I second the sentiments of the last two posts! HEARTILY.

--------------------
White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.

From: Birmingham, AL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
Okay. Time to fess up. I paid Marvel to print that. I'm really 29. [Wink] [Razz]
From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thriftshop Debutante
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thriftshop Debutante           Edit/Delete Post     
Oh, for the days when I was younger than Kitty Pryde...

(Y'know how she stays so young? I'm her Dorian Gray-ish picture.)

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
The Legionnaires would still be older than me if it weren't for that damned reboot!
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Legion Lad
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Legion Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
Umm... is this whole Nightcrawler thing more Internet gossip or can it actually be backed up with quotes from an X-Men comic? It sounds to me like something which has been heard and repeated a few times without verification. In what issue was it stated? Are we sure it's not Ultimate Nightcrawler which we're talking about here?

--------------------
My powers are Legion!

Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Legion Lad:
Umm... is this whole Nightcrawler thing more Internet gossip or can it actually be backed up with quotes from an X-Men comic? It sounds to me like something which has been heard and repeated a few times without verification. In what issue was it stated? Are we sure it's not Ultimate Nightcrawler which we're talking about here?

The latest Uncanny X-Men (#428) is a flashback story. Panel one clearly says "Germany, 20 years ago." TWENTY years ago. It's the story of Raven Wagner (Mystique) and the affair she has with some demon or demonic looking mutant which produces Nightcrawler. If I had the issue in front of me I'd scan everyone a pic. So, no, it isn't a rumor and it isn't Ultimate X-Men. It is the Uncanny X-Men being written by the uncannily bad Chuck Austen.

[Edit: Sorry if that sounded terse, it wasn't meant to be. But even though I don't regularly read the regular Marvel Universe titles anymore it still ticks me off to do this to a very well established character without doing it in a re-boot or Elseworlds (What If?) kinda of situation. Just plain bad writing and not caring for what has come before.]

[ July 24, 2003, 07:20 PM: Message edited by: Lightning Lad ]

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Legion Lad
Applicant

Well, that's just awful. Funny how "writers" think that just because an editor gives them permission to do something, that makes it right. Don't they know that editors come and go?

To me, Chuck Austen will always be the guy who was a big letdown when he took over Miracleman years ago. Gary Leach to Alan Davis to the then Chuck Beckum. Apparently he wrote an issue of Ultimate X-Men because he was chummy with the editor, and the editor of Uncanny saw it, liked it, and gave him the job. The guy had zero writing experience before that. Zero.

Gee, I guess all it takes to write is to stick words into people's mouths. You don't need to use your brain or nuthin'.

--------------------
My powers are Legion!

Caleb
Member of Lash's Legion of Super Bitches

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caleb   Email Caleb         Edit/Delete Post     
Kurt is apparently becoming the "Donna Troy" of the Marvel-verse. I got the issue because I love Nightcrawler, but the writing is ridiculous.

--------------------
Bring Back Tellus :tellus:

He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Ach! Du lieber!

There is no way the Kurt of X-MEN # 94 on could have been 19 or younger. He was much too sophisticated, grown and mature for that.

I wouldn't say Marvel is a joke. But I think they're obviously not aiming at fans who have long memories of the characters. How many 16- year-olds of today would have access to the early X-MENs, or even reprints?

Let's face it: Fictional characters can be bent and shaped at their owner's whim. Integrity means how many copies can we sell, not is this true for the character?

SIGH! I'm feeling very cynical tonight. I think I'll go off and get drunk with FRUNTaholic and forget that I was ever an X-fan.

[ July 24, 2003, 10:42 PM: Message edited by: He Who Wanders ]

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thriftshop Debutante
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thriftshop Debutante           Edit/Delete Post     
Just pretend it was a typo. Save yourself a lot of heartburn.

(It works for me, anyway.)

Legion Lad
Applicant

Right! Someone hit the wrong key on the keyboard! It should have read, "30 years ago."

All better.

--------------------
My powers are Legion!

Lightning Lad
Founder

HWW, I'll gladly join you in that drink. The more I see of what's coming out of the House of Smears the more I feel sickened. I wonder what Dave thinks of what they've done to his baby boy?
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.