Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Image to put out $1 First issues of 10 previously released titles (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Image to put out $1 First issues of 10 previously released titles
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
http://www.newsarama.com/comics/Image-Firsts-Dollar-Issues-100113.html

IMAGE FIRSTS: YOUNGBLOOD #1

IMAGE FIRSTS: THE WALKING DEAD #1

IMAGE FIRSTS: SPAWN #1

IMAGE FIRSTS: CHEW #1

IMAGE FIRSTS: SAVAGE DRAGON #1

IMAGE FIRSTS: AGE OF BRONZE #1

IMAGE FIRSTS: WITCHBLADE #1

IMAGE FIRSTS: GIRLS #1

IMAGE FIRSTS: INVINCIBLE #1

IMAGE FIRSTS: PROOF #1

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
It'd be nice if other companies would think about doing this.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
This is a really great idea. I think Marvel actually beat them by a month but nonetheless, you have to applaud them for doing this. Cheaper reprints have been a part of the comic book industry since...actually the very first comic was a cheaper reprint! [Big Grin]

Its a great way for people to sample various series and I wish *everyone* would do it. I'll probably even pick up the Walking Dead reprint because for $1.00, why the hell not? I also actually need Chew #1 so that works too for me (I can put it in my pile rather than rely on the Walking Dead flip issue).

I still own Spawn #1 and Savage Dragon #1 from all those years ago but the fact that those series are still running is pretty impressive. This is a good way to bring in more readers. If they were really brillant like we Legion Worlders they would do a $1.00 issue in a few months for the current series to get readers a jumping on point for right now. *And* continue a reprint series for a cheaper price.

For $1.00 I may sample some other series like Proof.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

I think that there is a market for cheap reprints. I also do not think that it would hurt TBP sales overall.

Imagine reprinting story arcs from books that are sure hits. Everyone hears about the drug issues from GL/GA...reprint them for a buck a piece. Same for the Spidey drug issues. Why not a Days of Futures past dollar reprints.

DC and Marvel should keep certain 1st issues of comics in rotation. Sandman, Y the Last Man, Preacher, etc. Grab someone new and get them interested in the trades. Even offer these types of books during free comic book day. List the trades in the back of the issue.

Dev - Em
KIA

Forgot about the Marvel ones. Their selection seemed to be not as varied if I remember right.
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

"Marvel Tales" ran for 20+ years, the majority of them as a Spider-Man reprint comic. Those Spider-Man reprints were usually coming out about 2 years after they had originally been printed. I think in the 1970's it was one of the most commercially successful comics that Marvel did, and the 70's were a notoriously bad time for comic book sales. It might be something worth revisiting, particularly in this era of the $3.99 comic book.
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
This is brilliance. I'll definitely get TWD # 1.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

TWD, Invincible and Chew are on my list.
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

You know what could be fun and really funny? If all of us on Legion World buy Youngblood #1 and post very detailed reviews page by page, panel by panel. I would spend the $1 if others committed to it. If this comes out near April 1 then we can all praise it as the greatest comic ever.
Dev - Em
KIA

I bought it for .50 years ago. Not gonna spend $1 for it now. Although I would dig it out and review it if ya wanna me to.
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I think I unloaded mine years ago at a garage sale. But I'll do it for Cobie. Damn you!!!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Fist Marvel, then Image and now DC seems to have gotten into the act! But it seems like there is no press release or no fanfare at all for the DC ones. What's up with that? Someone in the marketing department screwed up?

Buried *deep* within the April 2010 solicitations:

GREEN LANTERN #27 NEW PRINTING
On sale APRIL 28 • 32 pg, FC $1.00 US
Written by GEOFF JOHNS
Art and cover by IVAN REIS & OCLAIR ALBERT
Witness the beginnings of the greatest Green Lantern of all in this new printing of the first chapter of “Secret Origin,”priced at just $1.00! Featuring art and story by the BLACKEST NIGHT team of Geoff Johns and Ivan Reis, this issue is collected in the GREEN LANTERN: SECRET ORIGIN TP (NOV09090177).

BATMAN & ROBIN #1 NEW PRINTING
On sale APRIL 7 • 32 pg, FC $1.00 US
Written by GRANT MORRISON
Art and cover by FRANK QUITELY
The award-winning ALL-STAR SUPERMAN team of Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely reunited for this debut issue that kicked off the “Batman Reborn” epic, now reprinted for just $1.00 and featured in the upcoming BATMAN & ROBIN DELUXE EDITION HC (DEC0909201).

HUMAN TARGET #1 NEW PRINTING
On sale APRIL 21 • 32 pg, FC, $1.00 US, MATURE READERS
Written by PETER MILLIGAN
Art by EDVIN BIUKOVIC
Cover by TIM BRADSTREET
The first issue of the original Vertigo HUMAN TARGET miniseries is reprinted for $1.00, just in time for the new series from Warner Bros. TV airing on Fox! The Human Target is hired to impersonate an African-American minister with a contract on his head and learns that there’s a contract out on his life as well. This issue is featured in the new HUMAN TARGET: CHANCE MEETINGS TP (OCT090298)

THE LOSERS #1 NEW PRINTING
On sale APRIL 14• 40 pg, FC
$1.00 US, MATURE READERS
Written by ANDY DIGGLE
Art and cover by JOCK
The acclaimed Vertigo series from writer Andy Diggle and artist Jock began with this issue introducing an elite U.S. Special Forces unit that stumbled across a dirty CIA secret they couldn’t ignore. The CIA tried to kill them – but that only set the team on a course for bloody vengeance. This issue is featured in the new THE LOSERS VOL. 1 & 2 TP (NOV090232), just in time for the film adaptation in theaters later this year!

EX MACHINA #1 NEW PRINTING
On sale APRIL 14 • 40 pg, FC $1.00 US, MATURE READERS
Written by BRIAN K. VAUGHAN
Art by TONY HARRIS & TOM FEISTER
Cover by TONY HARRIS
The award-winning WildStorm series began with this issue that introduced NYC Mayor Mitchell Hundred, formerly known as the super-hero The Great Machine, who put aside his heroic career after the events of September 11, 2001. This issue is collected in the EX MACHINA VOL. 1: THE FIRST HUNDRED DAYS TP (SEP058036) and timed for release near the end of the ongoing series! This issue is collected in the EX MACHINA VOL. 1: THE FIRST HUNDRED DAYS TP (SEP058036).

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

I've always felt like I missed the boat with Ex Machina since Vaughn has proven to be such an excellent writer (see: Y the Last Man), so I may pick that up. I also will get the Losers #1 since I've heard good things.

And everyone, I implore you: buy the Human Target #1. Its such a great story you'll feel very pleased with spending the $1.00.

But I've got to wonder: what the hell is DC thinking? The Losers and Human Target (this version) are long cancelled. Are they trying to gum up sales for the Trades? Why not find an ongoing title that also has trades and do it? Who made these decisions? Why is everything DC does seem like it was done by idiots?

Dev - Em
KIA

The Losers are hitting the big screen this year. Thus the big push. Great book that I had to stop due to finances. Want to complete it someday.

Human Target is now on TV, which makes any issue #1 a hopeful draw to drum up trade sales of a great series.

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

So today I was in Manhattan for work and decided to stop by the Midtown Comics on the East Side (there are 2, the one Rhino got to meet Paul Levitz is in Times Square). Mainly I was just stopping in inspired by Rhino’s meeting with Paul and I’m glad I did—not only did I get a signed copy of LSH #1 by Paul (the other Midtown Comics had a large backstock and sent them over), as well as complete my Lone Ranger & Zorro collections, I found a bunch of the $1.00 Image reprint comics we’ve been talking about, as well as the $1.00 reprint Marvels. Apparently while most comic book stores did not order the $1.00 reprints, Midtown did, as I suspected they might, just because its such as large CBS and they have basically everything. I even found Stumptown by Greg Rucka which no store I’ve visited has a copy of. Nicely done Midtown.

What I got was Witchblade and Proof; I already got Chew at my own CBS and own the original Spawn & Savage Dragon. I would have bought the rest if I’d found them. Alas, there was no copy of Youngblood #1—I suspect no store on Earth ordered a copy of the reprint issue.

So I figure I’ll post some thoughts here in this thread:

First, I’ve never read an issue of Witchblade in my life. I do know it’s a pretty popular comics for an independent, even being Megan Fox’s (the actress) favorite series. In the 90’s, Witchblade and the Darkness sold tons of copies and I think the highest selling comic of the late 90’s after Capital’s bankruptcy (the then other major distributor besides Diamond) is Darkness #11. Anyway, Witchblade is a comic book that definitely spun out of the 1990’s Image Comic books—the artwork by Michael Turner featuring a female lead is just backed with T&A—we see Sara Pezzini (Witchblade) in a thong, in a super-sexy red dress, thigh high boots, in tatters, etc. This is old school T&A the likes that doesn’t really exist anymore in a comic that takes itself seriously. Still, I thought this early Michael Turner work was better than what his style would eventually become in the numerous covers he’d do for DC and Marvel. The story was actually pretty good however! Much better than I would have thought it would be, and it was pretty intriguing with a good hook. It’s not the best thing I’ve ever read but if it came out today I might at least buy the second issue.

Will I start buying Witchblade? Probably not—its on like issue #127 and I still no very little about the series. But I know Ron Marz is the longtime writer by this point and his Crossgen work was simply fantastic. So maybe one day…I wouldn’t rule it out. This was more a fun thing to do with $1.00.

The other series I picked up was Proof, which I admit I never heard of until this ‘reprint event’, because it slipped through the cracks before I really made it a point to know all the independent comics on the market. And you know, this was also pretty good! The premise kind of reminds me of a horror version of Atomic Robo, with an X-Files type twist and a Chew type tone. The lead characters are certainly interesting. It was fun, weird, and had moments of horror too. The artwork was humorous and cartoony in a good way.

From what I understand of Proof, its first season has come to an end and it will probably relaunch again sometime in the future. I think I may check out that relaunch. The $1.00 reprint was certainly worth the $1.00 so I’m glad I bought it. It might be worth pursuing further but I can’t quite make the full recommendation to other posters to get the series at full price based on the original #1 alone. I did like the tone a lot though and this might make a great follow-up in my monthly reading to the awesome Chew.

All in all, this was a fun experiment. I would buy almost anything for $1.00 I think, so long as I didn’t absolutely hate the premise, creator or decision. (So yes, Dan Didio, I would not buy a Titans $1.00 issue—this clause was for you).

On a side note, I think that if Witchblade ever came out as an ongoing reprint series at like $1.50 an issue—maybe even $2.00 an issue—I’d probably then keep buying. I’d probably draw the line at anything over $2.00. I wonder if they’ll do the Darkness next time (unless no CBS ordering any of these ensures they’ll never do it again)? I’d get that too.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.