Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » The Green Hornet Explosion by Dynamite (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The Green Hornet Explosion by Dynamite
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
After reading the latest Green Hornet: Year One, I felt it was so good, I *had* to mention it again, even though it just reaffirms what we've been saying all along.

Out of all the various "classic icons of the Golden Age redone" in recent years (a trend which just seems to be everywhere by every publisher), this is probably the best attempt besides Cooke 12 issues of the Spirit.

And those covers--WOW. Both Cassidy and Wagner are just delivering beautiful covers at a level every comic book should be trying to match.

How many issues into it, Des? Has it been collected into a trade yet?

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
The 6th has probably come out by now (I'm behind and haven't been to the store in a few weeks), so I suspect the first trade will be coming out shortly, collecting the first 6 issues. I highly recommend!
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
^You've gotta start gettin' yer ass to the comic book store more often, Kid! Don't use the baby as an excuse! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
The first Green Hornet:Year One trade was in the October solicits. It'll contain #1-6 and a complete cover gallery.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Hot Damn, Green Hornet: Year One is a good title. I'd say it's probably the best 'street level superhero' comic book on the marketplace right now, better than all Batman, Daredevil, etc. type competitors. The premise, the writing, the art...everything is terrific.

I'm way behind on Kevin Smith's Green Hornet title but plan to catch up shortly. I believe he leaves around #10? Is that when the title ends? (I'm asking OM since I know he's also been reading).

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah, I'm pretty sure #10 wraps up Smith's run, at which time I'll likely opt out. I've liked it, but not enough to continue past this storyline. Oddly enough, I really like the Black Hornet costume design much more than what the heroes are wearing.

Looking forward to the next Year One issue.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

I'm a little more caught up on Smith's run and I'm glad to see the story reaching culmination. I'm glad Smight got right through the Green Hornet training portion of the story. I'm finding the more proficient Green Hornet much more likable. The interactions between Green Hornet and Kato (Mulan) are probably the best part of the series

Two things I don't like:

- The corny Kevin Smith dialogue that already feels dated. "Kung-Fu Bitches!". Maybe I'm finally getting old. I felt it was too juvenile and couldn't help but think "hm, Matt Wanger wouldn't have that in there".

- The fate of Kato (the original). I'm hoping/wondering whether he still has a part to play. If so, and it could easily be, it could still be awesome.

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

For those not following this thread, please make a note that Green Hornet: Year One is the really excellent title of the bunch and a comic I highly recommend, considering worthy to be in the top 5 best comics in the industry right now. Meanwhile, there is also another Green Hornet title a few of us are following, Green Hornet, which I am just catching up on after being delinquent in going to the CBS for a few weeks as I suddenly had (4) issues to catch up on.

#9 – 10 completes the initial Kevin Smith story-arc, which sets up the Green Hornet & Kato hereafter. All in all, I thought it was a pretty solid outing. It wasn’t the greatest thing I’ve ever read but it was pretty entertaining. While the aforementioned Year One by Matt Wagner is an example of masterful story-telling and mood, this title is more like a summer action film, complete with fights and one-liners. The final two issues, in which everything is brought to a conclusion essentially, played up that aspect more than anything. Smith’s signature humor is ever-present and like the previous 8 issues, it works for me at times and at other times I think it really bombs. Ultimately, the story suffers from being pretty unoriginal, even borrowing heavily from other Kevin Smith stories. However, both the Green Hornet and Kato (the new ones) end up being pretty likeable and there is no doubt that have terrific chemistry that is fun to read.

The artwork is by Jonathan Lui, who has a very explosive style that I found appealing throughout. It’s entirely different from Green Hornet: Year One, which is a nice mix and separates the comics well. Lui stays on after Smith leaves, allowing his art to be a nice bridge to the next story-arc, which is by Phil Hester (who was basically doing layouts for the comic at the end, as I suspect Smith’s notorious inability to complete anything came into play).

I originally planned to opt out of this comic following the end of Smith’s run but when you don’t show up at your CBS for 6 weeks you end up with a lot of stuff in your pile, and so I ended up with #11 and #12, the first two issues of Hester’s arc. I was ready to drop the title immediately if it wasn’t up to par, so the pressure was on. But actually, I like Phil Hester’s story quite so far! He is ready to move the characters further along in their continued maturation, which is highlighted by Green Hornet & Kato having to take on the next big threat entirely on their own as their allies head off to Japan (which we also see). As I said, I quite like the new GH and Kato and Hester has a good grip on how Smith made them likeable. Hester also makes sure to introduce at least one new member to the supporting cast (which is needed). He plays up the action-oriented nature of this title (versus the others) and I think he’ll quickly surpass Smith in story-telling skills here.

So, for the time being, I’m still collecting. The main Green Hornet title isn’t the greatest thing going but it’s a pretty solid super-hero outing with a sense of fun. Certainly, I wish many DC and Marvel titles could be as good as this (or what I really wish is they were as good as Wagner’s Green Hornet: Year One, which I will also be reviewing later this month).

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Still one of the very best comics out there is Green Hornet: Year One which remains a clear example of how superhero comic book stories can be done. Matt Wagner continues to impress and artist Aaron Campell is just getting better and better. The artwork is very detailed with lots of panels so you get a ton of bang for your buck. The colors by Carlos Lopez also have the right amount of color per page, with reds in the backgrounds, green tones and yellow lights that highlight the atmosphere and tone Wagner has established. Everything is really tight. I also love those Francisco Francavalli covers.

#6 kicks off a new story-arc as the Green Hornet continues his assault on Chicago’s mobs. Like the first arc, there is a duel story-telling approach which I’m enjoying very much here. The second story features the first 6 months of Brit Reid and Kato getting the Green Hornet up and running, from an HQ in this issue to many other things to come. This is done really well and recaptures the awe involved in a superhero having a secret lair, advanced technology, etc.—many things we longtime comic book fans often ignore now and take for granted.

This comic works incredibly well as a blend of modern story-telling with pulp / Golden Age sensibilities. I’m absolutely loving it. If you don’t collect it, I think I secretly hate you.

Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
I finally read through the first Year One trade today and absolutely loved it. Now I want to grab the Zorro Trades...just got to find them and the money...
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Knew you'd love it!
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Now I got to find the next few issues.

Then work on the Zorro stuff, and check for the Lone Ranger stuff as well...probably at some local mini cons.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

You know, while Green Hornet: Year One continues to be one of the very best comics out there, I'm also still collecting the main Green Hornet comic. Every month since Kevin Smith's run ended when I get it at the comic book shop I think "hm, if I don't like this issue, I might cancel it". And every time I read the latest issue, I think "you know what, I like this comic!".

I really like the continuation of the status quo Smith has set up, and Hester coming on as writer has added a bit of seriousness to the series that takes it up a notch IMO. I'll definitely continue for now.

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

GH: Y1 continues to melt my face with its awesomeness. We're approaching the end game of the second arc and the tension is high.

I know Dev & Eryk are eagerly awaiting the release of the 2nd trade, and I have a feeling you'll be as equally enthusiastic when it happens.

I wish Wagner was writing this series forever! I know he's returning to Zorro for "Round 2", and I can't wait for that. I'm hoping that happens here with Green Hornet as well (since he doesn't have much DC work since they stupidly cancelled his Madame Xanadu so she can fit in the DCnU).

I also love Aaron Campbell's art here. I'd prefer if he followed Wagner to Zorro since my favorite Francisco Francavalli isn't returning with him.

I've said it before but the quality on this and Zorro have been so good that anything Wagner does from now on is an automatic buy by me for at least a tryout.

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Meanwhile, the regular Green Hornet title in the "Kevin Smith Universe" post-Smith is somethign I'm continuing to buy. I don't love it like GH:Y1, but I am enjoying it enough to keep buying. (Every month I hesitate at the CBS, considering to put it back but then ultimately buy it).

Artist Jonathan Lui is doing a great job, and writer Phil Hester is actually turning out to be an improvement over Smith.

This is one of those comics that if there are 2 bad issues in a row, I'm dropping it; however, that has not happened.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.