Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » THUNDER Agents - Fantastic!!!

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: THUNDER Agents - Fantastic!!!
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Anyone looking for a superhero team comic book that is actually excellent, then look no further than THUNDER Agents, which at long last has found a home at DC.

Writer Nick Spencer continues to show why he may be the single best new rising star in the comics industry with his tight, complex scripts and fascinating characters. The pacing keeps you engaged while continually going in directions you didn't see coming.

Artist CAFU is a genuine surprise as his artwork is glorious to behold. Dynamic yet with a crisp, clean style that is very pleasing on the eyes.

THUNDER Agents is one of those concepts I've always liked because of it's place in comics history as well as being Wally Wood's great Silver Age series, but in all honesty, there have been so few Thunder Agents' comics that it hasn't always been high on my radar. Now, with a solid creative team and unique premise, I'm suddenly quite interested.

Other than Doom Patrol, this is hands down better than any other DC Comics team book--highly recommended!

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
I have #2 but I haven't read it yet.

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

The series is up to #4 now and it's just blowing away every other team book DC and Marvel are doing these days. The writing is fantastic and Nick Spencer brings the originality he's infused to his indie titles here. Meanwhile, the art by CAFU is really a joy to behold, capturing both the energy of a superhero series and the mood of the complexity.
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Not enough energy for a full-scale "donut" review right now, but...having finally read issues 1-3, I can say I'm definitely hooked! Nick Spencer, between this book and Morning Glories, is clearly THE new writer to watch!

Keep bringing the T.H.U.N.D.E.R., Nick!

P.S. Sure hope with all that work Marvel's giving him that he doesn't leave this book! [Eek!]

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Chief Lardy:

P.S. Sure hope with all that work Marvel's giving him that he doesn't leave this book! [Eek!]

Spencer exclusive to Marvel. Am I a prophet or what? Apparently, though, it won't be impacting this book or his Image creator-owned stuff! *whew*

--------------------

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
Oh damn. One of the few good books DC has at this point...

--------------------
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Er, I said he's still ON it, SK...

--------------------

Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Oop. My bad, sorry.

--------------------
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

9 issues in and still absolutely terrific! Love how Spencer unfolded Colleen's and Iron Maiden's story. He really is showing he's a master story-teller.

I also loved the luscious Mike Grell bits. As he's proved with Warlord and Jon Sable lately, the man still has it. And wow can he draw attractive people.

I'm thrilled this is probably going to continue in the DCnU.

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 13 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Hate to say it, but that last arc of the recently-ended THUNDER Agents series was a bit of a snoozefest. I read issue 10 recently, and it didn't exactly end the arc in a way to make me change my mind. Much of the arc concerns the history between villainess Iron Maiden and the original Dynamo of the Agents.

Honestly, the story was just dragged out nad could have easily been told in a couple of issues, IMO. I mean, there were nice artistic flares by artists like Mike Grell for the flashbacks, but the backstory seemed to keep backtracking and repeating itself. The final scene between Colleen and her mother was pretty dramatic, I'll admit, but it just seemed to come to late to rescue this too-long storyline.

Volume 1 of THUNDER Agents started out very promisingly but just went out with a yawn. I'm sure that the upcoming mini which concludes Nick Spencer's story, but I'm unsure if I will be buying it as this storyline really left a bad taste in my mouth.

It seems Morning Glories will be the only creator-owned work Spencer will be doing anytime soon. That's a shame because his work-for-hire stuff that I've seen (with the exception of his excellent Jimmy Olsen back-ups from Action recently collected and concluded in a one-shot) just isn't up to snuff.

--------------------

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm surprised you disliked it so much! I actually enjoyed the second arc of Thunder Agents quite a bit. What I liked was how different the story-telling style was from everything else I've been reading.

But hey, we can't like the same thing *all* the time. [Big Grin]

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

My biggest problem is that an issue, maybe two, of story was decompressed into four. It felt like James Robinson could have made this a "Times Past" one-off in his Starman run and used the remaining three issues to tell something more dynamic. I realize flashbacks have been a part of the storytelling method Spencer's been using from the beginning, but there just didn't seem to be enough "meat" here to justify the length. There were enjoyable aspects, but I didn't feel like I got $12 worth of story.

--------------------

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.