Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » American Vampire--Read it, damnit!!! (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: American Vampire--Read it, damnit!!!
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
If you're not reading American Vampire, you may be reincarnated as a sloth! Seriously, one of the best five books on the market, says a guy who buys about FIFTY a month!

Don't believe me? Here's what a certain "legendary poster" had to say recently:

quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
So I've been catching up on some Vertigo comics before DC unleashes far too many comics at once. And in recent months, one Vertigo comic in particular has made the jump from "most promissing new series" to "current classic, high-quality series head and shoulders above the rest". I'm talking about the amazing American Vampire.

We've thrown a lot of praise at this comic in this thread and all of that remains true. From a story-telling perspective, the writing, art and characterization is as good as it gets in comic books these days. I feel that the latest stories set in WWII--both the main ongoing in the Pacific and the tie-in miniseries "Survival of the Fittest" in Europe--have taken the series to a new level, putting it on par with Y: the Last Man, Fables, Sandman, and all the other great Vertigo series of the past. Yes, it really is that good.

It's a rare thing when a series consistently combines mystery / suspense, pure adreniline filled action and a major dose of true horror; yet AV does that every issue. Both of the current storylines truly are scary as all hell. There are some damn frightening moments each issue.

I'm loving the Pacific theater story because we get to see Skinner, Pearl and Henry (all three of whom have become some of the most fully realized characters in comics already). But the story in Germany with the shift in focus to a new character and previously supporting-role only character is equally fantastic.

Quite simply, this is the best vampire story I've read since Salem's Lot; which coincidently, is what I consider the single greatest vampire story of all time (yes, including Stoker's Dracula).

This ain't some crappy Twilight drivel! AmVamp (and its current miniseries spin-off "Survival of the Fittest") ain't got no glitter lipstick or broody goth chicks, this is vamps as they should be: scary and fun!

Well? What are you waiting for, hippies?

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
^ Hell, I think Cobie only had two spelling errors there! He MUST really care about AmVamp! [LOL]

--------------------

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Here were my thoughts on #1...real quick thoughts.

quote:
Originally posted by Dev - Em:
Read American Vampire #1.

Great book and I cannot wait to pick up issue #2. Cobie and CT have already laid out the premise very well.

I reallyenjoy the period piece aspect of the first story. Just like I loved Sandman Mystery Theatre, which was set just before our entry into WWII.

It was interesting to see the beginnings of Skinner, especially as to how accidental they really were.

Like I said, cannot wait to grab the second issue this week.

Will be catching up reading this title starting back at #1 soon. Reviews of each issue to come.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
There is no comic book any poster is reading that could be classified as better than AmVamp. It is simply part of the creme de la creme of what is being published right now.

If you don't like vampires you'll still like what is truly a fantastic story.

You owe it to yourself. Trust.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm a perfect example of that Cobie. I am not a vampire fan by any stretch, but this book is addicting.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
I've been reading both the main book since it started and the spin-off. But I haven't been paying much attention to the spin-off.

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Cripes! Such praise - yet I loathe vampire stories. Vampire gore was the one thing I disliked about Turf (an otherwise great read). At least if you promise there's no glitter lipstick, I'll try it.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
(Psst--Cobie, Dev...I right that there was no glitter lipstick, right? [Hmmm?] )

--------------------

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I'll try it after this new 52 crap is out of the way.

Holla if there's a good jumping-on issue.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Nope, not a bit Lardy...unless you count the starlets in the first issue...but that's something different.
gone
gone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gone   Author's Homepage   Email gone         Edit/Delete Post     
Have read it, damnit! Good read. Leaves that Twilight *censored* in the dust. Still like St. Germain better though.
From: gone | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Well, fearing reincarnation as a sloth, I ordered Volume 1 of American Vampire. I should have it by Friday and just hope I don't die in the meantime.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
^ I'll be interested to read your review FC since, despite my username, I also generally dislike vampire stories and I especially loathe stories that ask me to sympathise with monstrous killer type characters (see: my hatred of the Hannibal Lechter character and books) which I gather this book does (though I could be wrong?)
From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Actually, quite the opposite, Blacula! The monstrous character, Skinner Sweet, gets no sympathy from the readers or other characters. The 'bad guys' are truly bad and the writer makes no bones about it.
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
^ That's good to know CK. In all the pre-release interviews for this book that I read it made it seem like Skinner Sweet was this great new identifiable character that readers would love while he killed people. Kind of like the Joker I guess (not that that works on me - as I find time to mention in every second post haha).
From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.