Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Before Watchmen (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Before Watchmen
Emily Sivana
Ask Question Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Emily Sivana   Email Emily Sivana         Edit/Delete Post     
I am sure whatever they write will be good. I liked the book, but the failure of the movie to catch the public's attention should have said something to Warner Bros. I can't see too much separation between the Charlton characters and Watchmen, but that is probably because I am post-Watchmen. I read stories and watched the cartoons where Watchmen influenced Charlton characters.

--------------------
Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb

From: Illinois | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shining Son
oversexed young adult

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shining Son   Email Shining Son         Edit/Delete Post     
Even a movie that's unsuccessful by Hollywood standards can have enough fans to support a comic. They operate of completely different scales.

OTOH as has often been mentioned, the dollar to minute of entertainment ratio is also very different, and not in comics' favor, so maybe it evens out.

From: Manhattan, NY | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
Watchmen is above all a masterpiece of structure, intricate in it's detail and really hermetically sealed as a piece of literature. There is absolutely nothing to be gained by adding to the mythos or further expanding the characters because they weren't designed that way. DC's obviously doing it for the cash, but the creators should know this is a dead end. Look at how abysmal the movie turned out because Snyder didn't understand the book and just lifted "cool scenes" while destroying the structure and therefore destroying the narrative completely. It will be exactly the same idea if you just start telling more stories with these characters. Sure you can these types of stories, but there's nothing appealing about that, because there's no creative alternatives left for them within the world of Watchmen. You're just borrowing the branding.
From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
I think it remains the be seen whether or not there are "creative alternatives." The folks involved are paid to be creative for a reason. Most people are expecting them to fail to live up to the original, but it'll be pretty exciting to see if some of them manage to give us something awesome.

Considering all the universe rearranging going on, I see these characters as "New52" versions of Moore's Watchmen anyway.

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anita Cocktail
*hic*

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Anita Cocktail   Author's Homepage   Email Anita Cocktail         Edit/Delete Post     
Darwyn Cooke!! Yes!!

Len Wein?? Feh!!

From: Gorilla Nebula Pub | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
I may be the only person here that hasn't read watchmen, and doesn't really care to. I have the movie, but that's about it. As to the new books, no real interest, though I would buy the Len Wein black pirate story if it was in a book by itself. I may be the only person that liked Gunfire from the bloodlines or whatever story it was.

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Good article with JMS. He talks about his two mini's in this event, as well as giving thoughts on Alan Moore and his objections to it. I happen to agree with what he says here. For whatever that is worth...

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/jms-before-watchmen-details.html

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm the opposite. The more I read about this, the more I think it's a real shame that it's happening.
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anita Cocktail
*hic*

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Anita Cocktail   Author's Homepage   Email Anita Cocktail         Edit/Delete Post     
I simply cannot pass up any book with Amanda Conner or Darwyn Cooke art.
The others I'm passing on.

From: Gorilla Nebula Pub | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Interesting.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
I think Kesel had the right idea initially. :/

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Agreed. Yay her.

--------------------

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Cooke, Connor, Jae Lee, Adam Hughes?!?! Shitsnacks on a cracker, that's some mega-talent, and some of my personal favorite artists.

I predict no lower than top 20 for all of these minis, which will make them a huge success.

That said, your old buddy MLLASH shan't be buying all these books, if any.

Can't afford 'em. And like Blacula, I don't consider WATCHMEN to be the be-all end-all of comics, though there's NO denying it IS a good read.

As for the Moore brouhaha, my opinion is if he's been paid properly for the success of his characters, then he needs to quit bitching. And I'm pretty sure he's richer than all of us combined. [Smile]

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Fanfic Lady:
Interesting.

After reading this, I would absolutely want Barbara Kesel as editor for any book I ever worked on.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

I'm not so sure he's that rich. He lost a ton of the Watchmen money on his indie projects of the late 80s.

--------------------

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.