Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Peter Panzerfaust - it will reinvigorate your love of comics! (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Peter Panzerfaust - it will reinvigorate your love of comics!
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
With so many fellow Legion Worlders feeling disheartened and disillusioned with comic books these days, I feel its my responsibility to inform you that there are still utterly fantastic comics out there. So good, in fact, that they will make you want to cheer at the top of your lungs. They'll make you want to run outside and hug the first person you see. Even if its your creepy neighbor.

Case in point: Peter Panzerfaust. How in the world did you miss this? Well, don't blame yourself, you and a whole lot of people missed this. But its simply one of the best new comic books out there and I highly recommend you high tail it to your CBS and order yourself every issue of it! #3 should be coming out shortly.

The premise is pretty brillaint: subtly inject the Peter Pan mythos into World War II occupied France. But really, its the sense of adventure and the tone of the series that set it apart. As I was reading it, I kept trying to figure out what was so damn good about it. Why am I enjoying this so much? And then I realized: because its FUN! It's not 'all ages, show the little children fun'. It's high adventure, comic book fun! Like 1980's comics and Indiana Jones movies.

If you spend your money on this, you'll thank me. (If you steal it, don't thank me 'cuz I can't afford another arrest).

People who like Atomic Robo will love this. And if you're one of those hacks that don't read Atomic Robo, then you've got no street cred anyway and should go sit in the corner facing the wall.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
So another series by Image has really blown me away! This one totally different than everything else I've been reading: Peter Panzerfaust. Everyone do yourselves a favor and buy this comic. If you've got a soul, you'll love it.

Without giving too much away, here is a brief summary: Peter Pan in WWII. Beyond that, a killer delivery in story telling by Green Wake writer Kurtis Wiebe and artsit Tyler Jenkins. Wiebe instills a sense of the grandiose with the pacing and tone; it has a very innocent feel at times and then a very gritty WWII feel--a dichotomy that works. Jenkins artwork is stylized yet clean and I think he does a great job. It's interesting to see Wiebe's writing with an artist like Jenkins. It might be better than the Greek Wake combo.

I highly recommend people pick this up. I was delighted by how much I liked it.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Me not see at local comic stores...me sad.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
The second printing of #1 should be out soon, Dev-Hulk! I highly recommend it!
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
This series = total love!
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Yay! So glad you tried it! I knew it would be right up your alley. Really just a fantastic series that really reminds me why I love comics.

Did you buy a print issue or digital? 'Cuz if digital means EDE has sampled Peter Panzerfaust, then I'm now officially 100% all for it!

Eryk Davis Ester

Bought the first three issues totally digital!
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Groovy!
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
No sign of this comic in wither of my normal shops.

May have to try digital...or try the con next month, if they're not gouging for it.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Love the intro of Hook (er, Captain Haken) in #3! And more than that, how amazing was the two page sword / knife fight? Just thrilling adventure in it's purest form!

The sense of excitement Peter emenates on every panel is just infectious. I really love this series.

Eryk Davis Ester

#4 continues the high quality of this series, and the mixture of innocence vs the horrors of war really hits home this issue!
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Diamond didn't ship this to my CBS today and I actually went there! I'm dying to read--a reviewer gave it 10 out of 10. Its among the first comics I read every month.
Legion Tracker
Veteran

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Legion Tracker           Edit/Delete Post     
I went back to my local CBS today just to look at Peter Panzerfaust. The CBS guy said they only order one copy for another customer...and that #1 and #2 are no longer available until the trade comes out in August. Boo....

--------------------
"Been killed--didn't like it." (Duplicate Damsel, Legion of Super-Heroes #10)

From: Groga | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

That sucks! I have to say: GRAB THE TRADE! You won't be let down (and you've proven to have phenomenal taste).
Dev - Em
KIA

I am going to grab it as well...nobody has the issues around here.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.