Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Peter Panzerfaust - it will reinvigorate your love of comics! (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Peter Panzerfaust - it will reinvigorate your love of comics!
Legion Tracker
Veteran

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Legion Tracker           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
That sucks! I have to say: GRAB THE TRADE!

I ordered it. The CBS guy showed me a couple samples of the art online. He did not know about the Peter Pan connection, and I think he'll start checking it out himself.

--------------------
"Been killed--didn't like it." (Duplicate Damsel, Legion of Super-Heroes #10)

From: Groga | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Legion Tracker
Veteran

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Legion Tracker           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
Bought the first three issues totally digital!

I downloaded #1 last night. It's the first digital comic I've bought and, wow, besides the high quality of the story and art it just looks beautiful on my iPad.

I may have to buy #2-4 tonight.

--------------------
"Been killed--didn't like it." (Duplicate Damsel, Legion of Super-Heroes #10)

From: Groga | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Thought the wrap-up of the first arc in #5 was fantastic, and now I'm eagerly awaiting the next arc to begin!

The issue felt very inspired and captured the feeling a lot of wartime films did in that it made one want to stand up and start fighting the Nazis.

Also it had a great somber moment when the Nazis finally marched into Paris.

There is a nice dichotomy to how Peter is written. He's always so mysterious, and yet, subtle things about him like how he puts his arm around Gilbert so they can be inspired by the Eiffel Tower speak volumes.

Really, I'm just loving this series.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I bought all the back issues. Dunno when exactly, but I'll be readin' 'em shortly! [Yes]

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Awesome! I can't wait for your thoughts!
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
BTW, I also took a recent recommendation you made in "So what are you reading?" in Anywhere Machine. Check that thread out for more info!

--------------------

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Finally read issues 1-5 over the last coupla days. Very nice read that didn't completely grab me from the beginning but just got better as each issue passed.

The art took a while to grow on me. The faces aren't very expressive, and few of the supporting characters look distinctive enough for you to really remember who is who. It took me forever to realize which character was the narrator as a boy. In fact Jenkins really seems to like drawing super-pointy chins on most of the characters!

Another basic problem with the art is that most of the characters seem drawn as adults when they are supposed to be kids. I suppose they all may be in their late teens (17-18 range), but I'm really unsure if that's supposed to be the case. When Wendy and John join the cast, they look like they could be in their twenties easily, while their younger brother Michael looks about nine or ten and much younger than anyone else in the cast.

But Jenkins does have a style that seems to capture the feel of the era very well in spite of all that. It has a grit to it like a Charlie Adlard and a simplicity to it like a Mark Buckingham. It grew on me after a while, but the basic issues remain.

The story is the real appeal. Though I'm not overly familiar with the Peter Pan story, I recognize and appreciate the nods. There are only the vaguest possibilities that there's something supernatural about the lead character, and most of those appear in issue one. He's very enigmatic, and I hope we learn more about him as the series progresses.

Gilbert/Tootles is the only other 'Lost Boy' really fleshed out so far, mostly because he's the narrator of the first arc. There are several touching scenes as he's shown reminiscing with his interviewer. Apparently, we'll get other narrators in successive arcs, so we'll get to learn more about the other characters.

In all, I'm really liking this series and especially it's rather unique feel. I wouldn't give it my highest recommendation at this point, bit's definitely a very good book. Looking forward to more!

--------------------

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Glad you're on board, Lardy!

#6 was a great opening to the next arc, as Curly takes over as narrator for a bit. The change in narrators is very welcome and it's already serving to provide some real characterization to the Lost Boys besides Peter.

With the series now firmly in occupied France, the tension has been upped in a major way, and the suspense / spy sensibilities are fantastic. The issue does a great job in speeding up the pacing progressively all the way through.

Can't wait for what's to come on this arc!

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.