Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » IDW's Popeye... (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: IDW's Popeye...
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
...is pretty awesome.

Total old-school; no trying to reinvent the wheel.

But fantastic, fun adventure. Check it out!

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
I may have to.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
This looked really good! I was actually at my CBS today and didn't see it (damn, may have been in younger readers section). I shall try to hunt it down!

"Fun adventure" is a type of comic book I want more of these days!

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
The cool thing about it is how it can be so deliberately retro and yet feel somehow fresher and more exciting than most of DC's attempts to update and modernize their characters.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anita Cocktail
*hic*

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Anita Cocktail   Author's Homepage   Email Anita Cocktail         Edit/Delete Post     
I simply HAD to buy it for that wonderful cover!

Can't wait to read it!

From: Gorilla Nebula Pub | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Put it in the pull box today.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

So #1 has been the hardest issue ever to find! I know it sold out on the distributer level and now I can confirm it's sold out on a retailer level.

But, since it's delightfully a series where every issue welcomes new readers, I'll be checking in for #2. Everyone whose read it has said the same thing: it's fantastic.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Do you still need one Cobie?
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

If you know where some might be available, I'd love one! You're the MAN if you can find one for me, Dev!
Dev - Em
KIA

Lemme check. I know a guy...
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Obvi, let me know details. I can send some dead presidents your way in recompense. Maybe a can of spinach for good measure.
Eryk Davis Ester

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
2nd issue continues to groove!
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
I just read the first issue last weekend. Lots of fun and lots of content. I'll consider getting issue #2.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

At long last I found a copy of #1 (first printing to boot) and snagged #2 as well. Really looking forward to reading this!
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
...and #1 is read, and I thought it was terrific! Full of humor and adventure, I was smiling widely all the way through. The whole project is just charming.

I really loved how each page was the equivalent of a daily--though really a Sunday strip. It flowed incredibly well and made the issue feel jam-packed with major bang foe your buck.

I've really only a passing familiarity with Popeye other than some bits here and there, and a larger understanding of the strip's importance via my amateur comic book historian research. This issue told me all I need to know and left me wanting more. I really enjoyed it!

Ps - for some reason, the Sea Hag fascinates me. She might be my favorite character!

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.