Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Dial H Discussion Thread (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Dial H Discussion Thread
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
With the beginning of the new Dial H series by China Mieville and Mateus Santolouco, I thought it appropriate to begin a new thread dedicated to discussing the Dial H mythos.

Beyond the new series, we can talk about what came before. Robby Reed, Chris King and Vicki Grant, Hero Cruz, all of them.

What did people think of the first issue?

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
It looks like three dial owners have already appeared. Check this page for their appearance.

The boy with the glasses is possibly Robby Reed, and the couple in bed look like Chris King and Vicki Grant.
 -

--------------------
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Love China Mieville! This is definitely on my list (haven't gotten it yet) and your review made it sound very enticing.

I only read a few of the initial Dial H run - then there was the execrable Lori Morning version... high hopes for this take on the concept!

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm going to try this out too. Out of all the 'new 6', this one looked the freshest and most exciting.

I've read numerous Dial H series over the years and it's really never been my cup of tea. But it really works as a more esoteric type approach, which this seems like it'll be.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaim Mattis Keller
Legion-Reference-File Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chaim Mattis Keller   Email Chaim Mattis Keller         Edit/Delete Post     
I'll give it two more issues to wow me. But so far, I'm not getting any sense of personality.

I loved the Pfeifer H-E-R-O series because it was a character study. Brilliantly executed. This one so far has yet to grab me.

--------------------
Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com

From: New York, NY, USA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suddenly Seymour
Don't feed the plant!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Suddenly Seymour   Author's Homepage   Email Suddenly Seymour         Edit/Delete Post     
When I was a kid, I loved the "Adventure" revival where you could send in your ideas. I never did, but I still thought it was cool.

I like this version. It's a bit more horror, which is fine if it doesn't get too gory. I think what sold me were the two heroes: Boy Chimney and Captain Lachrymose. They're just so weird, which I guess is Mieville's specialty. (I'd never heard of him before this.)

I just hope Mieville doesn't follow the path of many novelists turned comic writers and give up or fall waaaaaay behind.

--------------------
Geek Watch

From: Standing beside you in Ferndale, MI | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KidChaos
Reservist

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KidChaos   Email KidChaos         Edit/Delete Post     
This could be where Lori Morning makes her big comeback!

:ducks:

--------------------
"are you forgetting that I was a professional twice over- an analyst and a therapist. The world's first analrapist."

-Tobias Funke

From: MI | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

quote:
Originally posted by Suddenly Seymour:
When I was a kid, I loved the "Adventure" revival where you could send in your ideas. I never did, but I still thought it was cool.

I like this version. It's a bit more horror, which is fine if it doesn't get too gory. I think what sold me were the two heroes: Boy Chimney and Captain Lachrymose. They're just so weird, which I guess is Mieville's specialty. (I'd never heard of him before this.)

I just hope Mieville doesn't follow the path of many novelists turned comic writers and give up or fall waaaaaay behind.

I'll admit I thought it was a little cheesy when I first saw that name, Boy Chimney. Finally reading the full issue made me ashamed of my reservations.

--------------------
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement

Anita Cocktail
*hic*

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Anita Cocktail   Author's Homepage   Email Anita Cocktail         Edit/Delete Post     
I found it simply fascinating!

Can't wait for #2!

From: Gorilla Nebula Pub | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

#2 was enjoyable but not as good as #1, #3 was AMAZING.

--------------------
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement

Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Nelson Jent and Manteau bring you the amazing debut of Team House!

-

--------------------
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement

Chaim Mattis Keller

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chaim Mattis Keller   Email Chaim Mattis Keller         Edit/Delete Post     
I can't wait to see # 3. I was lukewarm after # 1, but things are starting to come together in # 2.

--------------------
Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com

From: New York, NY, USA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Hmmm... superhero names like "Boy Chimney" make me think I should have picked it up...

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

OPEN.

WINDOW.

MAN.

--------------------
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement

Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
How can it be that no one's mentioned that one of the villains is named "Ex Nihilo". Can other genderbending versions of Legionworlders be far behind?
From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.