Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » Sunday in the Park with George (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Sunday in the Park with George
Kid Prime
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Prime           Edit/Delete Post     
We got this one tonight on DVD. Though trying to say which Sondheim musical is best is like trying to say which precious jewel is best, I think this one is my absolute favorite. Sunday in the Park with George is, in a nutshell, about the creation of art not only on the page, the stage, or the canvas, but also in your life.

I needed to see this tonight, because I am an artist, and I forget that fact way too easily. I can be so lazy in my life sometimes. Even having just turned 30, I can't seem to shake the idea that I am meant for something exciting. That I am meant to create, and to make other people's lives more meaningful... in some way.

I have to stop running away from the man I can be.

Anyway, Sunday is a good show. It requires a lot of mental effort, but the rewards are so great. The great thing about Sondheim is that he tells us who we are through his music and lyrics like very few can.

Just thought I'd share what meant so much to me tonight. <insert wistful smile here>

--------------------
White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.

From: Birmingham, AL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stu
Time Trapper

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Stu   Email Stu         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Kid Prime:
Even having just turned 30, I can't seem to shake the idea that I am meant for something exciting. That I am meant to create, and to make other people's lives more meaningful... in some way.

You do make other people's lives more meaningful... just by being around! [Cosmic Boy]
Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Prime
Founder

Thanks, man.

--------------------

From: Birmingham, AL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
matlock
Advisory

Icon 1 posted      Profile for matlock   Email matlock         Edit/Delete Post     
KP, thanks for the thoughtful post. I'm not a musical fan per se, athough I do remember enjoying a PBS broadcast of "Sunday" many years ago which if memory serves might've starred Bernadette Peters and Mandy Patinkin.

Thanks for the reminder that we ought to all be trying to remember that we usually have much more potential than we realize.

From: Douglasville, GA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Stu:
You do make other people's lives more meaningful... just by being around! [Cosmic Boy]

Well, that works out for you KP since you're lazy [Wink] ...

But seriously, I know exactly what you mean about creating and actually taking steps to be the person you're going to be -- at this point in life there's no reason to be passive about it. Best of luck getting there -- I might even join ya!

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Prime
Founder

quote:
Originally posted by DrakeB3003:

Well, that works out for you KP since you're lazy [Wink] ...

[/QB][/QUOTE]

Geez, I feel SO much better about everything now... [Phantom Girl]

Joking, of course... thanks for the words of encouragement! I'm getting there--taking some major strides ahead these days, and I'm excited about that.

I'm just not a very patient person, I guess.

--------------------

Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
"Order...

Balance...

Harm-on-y..."

Sigh.

I love this show-- it was the first Sondheim musical I ever saw... probably in the same PBS telecast that matlock mentioned.

"Finishing the Hat", "Move On", "Putting it Together", "On a Sunday" (I might have the title wrong...) Great songs all.

When the characters finally get into the positions they occupy in the actual painting, followed by the lowering of a huge reproduction of the famous painting, exactly matching them...
well, what a goosebump-raised-armhair moment.

I fell in love with Bernadette when I saw this show. She's my 'Judy/Madonna/Barbra'.

I think I'll watch that DVD tomorrow...

TN

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Prime
Founder

Mystery Lad/Todd, I'm SO glad you know and love the show! I think the title to the song is just "Sunday." But yeah, when they lower the painting at the end of act 1, it is one of the greatest, most triumphant moments in any musical EVER, and also so understated, which makes it even BETTER. I think that's probably one of the reasons why it won the Pulitzer Prize.

Have you ever seen or heard Assassins?

--------------------

Kid Prime
Founder

P.S.

Bernadette's my diva, too.

--------------------

Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
I think the title to the song is just "Sunday."

That's right. Beautiful full-company song.

quote:

But yeah, when they lower the painting at the end of act 1, it is one of the greatest, most triumphant moments in any musical EVER, and also so understated, which makes it even BETTER. I think that's probably one of the reasons why it won the Pulitzer Prize.

You could well be right. I can only imagine what seeing it in a theater would be like. I'd probably start crying.

quote:

Have you ever seen or heard Assassins?

"All you have to do is... pull your little finger... pull your little finger... and change the Woooorld!"

Heard, yes. Seen, no. Wasn't there supposed to be a revival a couple of years ago? I think 9-11 caused them (whoever 'them' was) to scratch the idea.

I think "A Little Night Music" is my favorite-- partly because it has its origin in the work of one of my favorite movie directors... Ingmar Bergman. That and I think "Every Day a Little Death" is a perfect song.

Lots of great songs in 'Merrily We Roll Along' and 'Follies' and 'Anyone Can Whistle' (which I've been listening to on the way to and from work this week), but the story of each sort of eludes me. I'd LOVE to see them to get the full picture, though.

I love Sondheim's work-- from West Side Story through Passion... and I can't WAIT to hear his new one, which recently debuted in Chicago(?). Hopefully, it won't be long till it makes it to Broadway and thus to a cast recording.

Making a trip to see a new Sondheim musical is something I'm definitely considering (but not saving for, as yet, which would be the deciding factor... [Smile] ).

TN

TN

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

quote:
P.S.

Bernadette's my diva, too.

Does that make us 'diva-brothers'? [Smile]

Hey- did you also get the 'INTO THE WOODS' DVD? That's another good one.

TN

Kid Prime
Founder

Yeah, Wise Guys/Gold!/Bounce has gotten pretty mixed reviews on its Chicago opening. Of course there's still plenty of time to fix any problems before it makes the move to Broadway.

Merrily We Roll Along, Follies, and Anyone can Whistle are probably three of his most problematic shows, but each for different reasons, with Follies being by far the greatest of the three (but also the hardest to put on, since the cast and set requirements are HUGE. (Follies holds an interesting place in Broadway history... it was the very first enormously successful musical to fold because even sold-out houses couldn't pay for the demands of the production... kind of like the situation Ragtime found itself in a few years back.)

I'm so glad you love Sondheim like me, Todd!!! He is my very favorite in ANY musical form (and my tastes range all over the place.) His music means so much to my life. I try to listen to a little bit every day, if I can ( I have every show from Gypsy to Passion ripped to MP3 on my hard drive, from all the Sondheim CD's I BOUGHT and OWN, thank you very much (if any record company lawyers happen to be peeking in here!)

--------------------

Kid Prime
Founder

I have the Into the Woods video, but not the DVD. Into the Woods is the only Sondheim show I have had the pleasure of actually being in (as the Baker.) Being able to play in that show was one of the best experiences I nave ever had.

--------------------

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Anyone like THE SECRET GARDEN, THE ROCKY HORROR SHOW or RENT? Those are probably my favorite stage musicals...

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
"Urinetown" was a lot of fun (the off-Broadway show at least. Since it hit B-way, it's way expensive).
"La Boheme" was cute -- as close to "Moulin Rouge" as you can get on B'way (and the subtitles weren't too hard to read)

One of my fav moments from a stage musical was at the Fringe Festival two years ago here in NYC - they crossed "Two Gentlemen From Verona" with the Boy Band phenomenon and did an unorthodox play where the big number was a drag Queen singing "Canada" along with the theme of "Xanadu" -- fun was had by all.

Btw, Fringe Festival 2003 coming this summer, all you New Yorkers!! Two weeks of wall-to-wall theater in the Lower East Side -- more fun than a barrel of monkeys (well, almost...).

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.