Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » Hadn't heard THAT song in awhile... (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Hadn't heard THAT song in awhile...
Thriftshop Debutante
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thriftshop Debutante           Edit/Delete Post     
So I was waiting for my order at Burger King and Hall & Oates' Out of Touch came over the PA system. Made me smile. Can't say it was a big favorite but I liked it well enough, and I remember when it came out/seeing the video.

It's one I know I hear less frequently than its comtemporaries - and I listen to 80s stations sometimes, and certainly check out 80s CD compilations. It was a big hit - two weeks at number one, and ranked the #13 song for 1984 (between Owner of a Lonely Heart and Time After Time) per the Billboard Hot 100.

(But that's the nature of things, I guess. I get K-Tel records with hits or semi-hits that may very well have been the hottest thing at the time they were pressed - the 70s, of course - but were completely unfamiliar to me.)

Well, anyway...BIG BAM BOOM!

So, you guys hear any semi-long-lost stuff lately?

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
m-e-t-h-o-d o-f l-o-v-e, that's the method to modern love .... [Wink] totally !

I'm listening to an '80's music internet radio station as I type:

"I can't understand, what makes a man, hate another man ..."

I'm such a child of the '80s it's not funny -- I watch VH1's "I Love the 80's" almost whenever it's on.

I think '80s pop/new wave is just about the happiest music I can think of -- "Take On Me", "Time After Time", "Life in One Day", "Heart Break Beat" -- it's all good, baby!

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Private Eye by Hall and Oates and Physical by Olivia Newton John. I, too, am a child of 80's music.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thriftshop Debutante
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

While I was at the store impulse-buying the pudding, the non-Muzak system played Elton John's Nikita. A little dated (lyrically at least) now. And remember the video? Elton wanted the wall to come down so he could show the hot border guard the joys of democracy, chiefly bowling.
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks to a certain thrifty poster, I am enjoying a tape which contains 3 long-lost 80s favorites...

HUMAN by Human League

MARY'S PRAYER by Danny Wilson

SOMEDAY by Glass Tiger

Someday
You'll be shedding your tears
And you'll cry over me

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:
SOMEDAY by Glass Tiger

Someday
You'll be shedding your tears
And you'll cry over me

I loved Glass Tiger. The lead singer was a cutie [Smile] I loved "Don't Forget Me When I'm Gone"

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

I too had a BIG ol' crush on the Glass Tiger lead singer!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
I too had a BIG ol' crush on the Glass Tiger lead singer!

Yeah... that was back in the old days, when I would buy a cassette if I thought the band was cute. Goodness knows I would NEVER do that nowadays [Smile]

Well, almost never [Wink]

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Y'know who else I just adored? LIMAHL from Kajagoogoo. OH! The unspeakably debaucharous things I wanted to do to his hot bod...!

I also had a giant crush on Corey Hart.

--------------------

Spellbinder
Founder

You're just Too Shy, Shy, Lashie Poo [Wink]

--------------------

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

It didn't hurt that he performed in that video barefoot.

I would have started the unspeakable debaucharies with his feet and moved North from there...

--------------------

Thriftshop Debutante
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

This happened two years ago, but it touches on some things I've mentioned in other 80s music threads.

So I was out & about, thriftshopping and wandering around. It was raining & I was a little hungry. I saw a signboard outside a cafe advertising hot chocolate. That appealed; I went in. (The place was called Saints & Scholars and it's a good thing they didn't check credentials as I fail to qualify either way.) So while I was swilling my cocoa & having a bite to eat, Rebbie Jackson's Centipede came over the stereo system. It had been...15 years maybe? since I'd heard it. You could have told me the lyrics & they wouldn't have meant a thing to me. But once I heard the song start up....

(And that's why I'm looking up old charts - to find songs I've forgotten but want to hear again even though I don't know it.)

matlock
Advisory

Icon 1 posted      Profile for matlock   Email matlock         Edit/Delete Post     
Oddly, a song that was a hit (more of less, it was on MTV all the time) that I haven't heard on any station regardless of format since I don't know when: "T.V. Dinner" by ZZ Top. Oh, I know it's not the crowning moment of their career or anything but still... that video with the little monster creeping out from under the tin foil was pretty damn cool, all things considered.
From: Douglasville, GA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonnie
mere mortal

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonnie   Email Sonnie         Edit/Delete Post     
was doing some window shopping today in preperation for pay day tomorrow and in a little 2nd hand music place I heard "walk like a man" by Devine!!! oh my gawd!!!
From: home sweet home... unless i'm posting from work | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the boy with UltraPowers
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the boy with UltraPowers   Author's Homepage   Email the boy with UltraPowers         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Y'know who else I just adored? LIMAHL from Kajagoogoo. OH! The unspeakably debaucharous things I wanted to do to his hot bod...!

have you seen what LIMAHL looks like now !!??

he looks SCARY !!!!

Matthew.

From: Manchester United Kingdom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.